Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

The story so far: Portsmouth 25 league wins (14 of them by the odd goal), Derby also 25. Portsmouth scored 66 goals (lowest out of the top 5 teams), Derby 70 (only bettered by Bolton & Peterboro). Portsmouth have put away 9 pens out of their 66 goals, Derby only 5 pens. Portsmouth conceded 33 goals, Derby 35 conceded.

After this clash Portsmouth have Shrewsbury (h) currently 18th, Bolton (a) 3rd, Barnsley (h) 5th, Wigan (h) 12th and Lincoln (a) in 6th. Derby; Wycombe (a) 13th, Orient (h) 10th, Cambridge (a) 19th and Carlisle (h) 24th.

Derby need 5 more points to beat their club record of 85 points in a season. Also one more away win would be a new club record. A little harder to achieve is getting 4 wins out of our 5 remaining games to beat our current best which is 28 wins in a season.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Portsmouth 2-0 Derby

"I think we saw tonight why Portsmoutyh are the cream of the division, I know it's a loss and no one likes losing but we did not play badly and waggy puts away that chnce at 1 nil it's a very different end to the game, but we kept going, trying to get that goal and sometimes it just happens that you get exposed at the back."

Oops, meant to put that in the predictions thread. Sorry folks.

Obviously hoping for the best but fear that after all the talk etc it will be another Barnsley (a) let-down.

A loss I can take …. But we need to keep it to the odd goal at all costs. I don’t want us being reckless chasing a lost game and conceding 3 or 4.

GD is going to be massive 

4 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Obviously hoping for the best but fear that after all the talk etc it will be another Barnsley (a) let-down.

A loss I can take …. But we need to keep it to the odd goal at all costs. I don’t want us being reckless chasing a lost game and conceding 3 or 4.

GD is going to be massive 

FFS can u see Cash and Nelson going into the game with this attitude? No, let’s get out there and do em over 💪🙏

On 30/03/2024 at 20:56, Terry Hennessy said:

I just watched the Wycombe v Pompey highlights. All the Pompey goals game down the right via their tricky winger crossing into the box. I think Sibley will need help in marking this guy...

He won't get that from CBT . 

On 30/03/2024 at 11:26, ramit said:

IMO we have to go for it and try to win the game, getting three points closer will put pressure on Portsmouth, something they may not be comfortable with and if we keep winning most games, we'll be like terriers on their tails just waiting for a stumble.  Yep, it's a lot of if's and maybe's but could happen and the chance for it starts by winning that game.

We Are Coming For You Pompy

Hmmm   I don’t so much care if we’re first or second - the imperative is to get out of this league. I think that means we start Adams and Smith, maybe even Tommo and play it safe. There’s always a chance Cashin or Nelson will get on the end of a set piece or Ward will score from a fk ( or corner!).  Last thing we want is to concede 3 and erode our GD advantage. 

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hmmm   I don’t so much care if we’re first or second - the imperative is to get out of this league. I think that means we start Adams and Smith, maybe even Tommo and play it safe. There’s always a chance Cashin or Nelson will get on the end of a set piece or Ward will score from a fk ( or corner!).  Last thing we want is to concede 3 and erode our GD advantage. 

I don’t think the starting formation quite worked on Saturday.

We need either CBT or NML (if fit), not both.

Ward on the right and hopefully Collins in the middle.

Thompson to come into a three man midfield with Adams and Smith.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I don’t think the starting formation quite worked on Saturday.

We need either CBT or NML (if fit), not both.

Ward on the right and hopefully Collins in the middle.

Thompson to come into a three man midfield with Adams and Smith.

The natural balance is NML on one wing with CBT on the other, but the problem was we lacked a striker, so Warne chose to use NML centrally to help Washington (who's clearly not match fit). NML just struggled to get into the game as he works best receiving wide where there's more space and driving.

On 30/03/2024 at 21:35, Beetle said:

Let's go two up top, Washington and Collins. NML and CBT as wingers and tell them to go for it with Ward and Wilson replacing them early second half, Adams and Hourihane Central Midfield. Smith at right back and Sibley at left back.

Come on you Rams!

I agree. Washington has way more in his locker when he’s got a foil

If there’s one thing we’ve not been this season, it’s leaky at the back. We're tough to break down and stingy as a defence. I reckon this is going to be a low scoring affair, with neither team scoring more than a couple at most.

The worry for us is the lack of defensive options right now, with no real left back and 2 wing backs vying the right hand side. Reckon Smith def plays next to Adams with 1 of Hourihane or Thompson in the middle to support