v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I thought "came for a point" summed them up perfectly until we scored, and even after that it was the second half before they even managed to string two passes together. Their "kick it 60 feet in the air and let's pretend we're the Pontypool Front Row" tactics helped to make it an appalling game of football and we failed to get the ball on the ground and play around them. Make no mistake though - we handed them that game through poor substitutions and individual errors.

As a separate observation about Charlton, I'd like to know how a club that signed around a dozen players in January, some for fees, and did similar in the summer, and sacked their manager, can hope to pass FFP checks?

We both saw the same game differently which is fine, I just thought they played better on the ground passing football than us and deserved to win, we didn't 

I watched the game last night and I thought first half was fine. We generally kept the ball well but made some terrible decisions once we got into the final third. We had more pace but the way we played didn't really suite Gayle. It will take some adapting to so we can make the most of his qualities i think. 

The second half was poor. We never really got going and didn't look confident. Wildsmith is a keeper I've rarely been sure of. He flatters to deceive by making a great save now and again but in the middle makes a host of blunders. Last season he probably cost us around a dozen points with all his mistakes. I think this season he's going the same way. But that doesn't excuse the lack of shape from the squad. The substitutions did more harm than good and we had so little in the middle of the park. 

We'll get in the playoffs which is an improvement but I can't see us picking up an automatic slot unless something changes. If we spend another year in the division it will be much harder for us to leave it with key players such as Bird leaving. It will require another facelift in terms of personnel. If it is the playoffs there is no one that really scares me as such except for ourselves. When we do play well we can beat anyone in this league but those days are too few and far between at the moment. 

Last night unfortunately exposed all of Paul Warne's flaws as a manager. Even before Wildsmith's kamikaze moment, the lack of ball retention after going 1-0 up was appalling. Sunday morning rushing to get the ball forward which caused so many unforced errors. What has the manager got against keeping the ball for 10-15 minutes? I know it's dull and boring, we have got to be smarter in certain games. Charlton were a terrible team and we somehow gifted them a win.

Derby had most of the control in the first half. We got the goal, beautiful header by Cashin and another assist for NML. Came out in the 2nd half and kept giving the ball away by forcing it forward. Charlton's press was very aggressive in the 2nd half. Instead of playing it around Charlton and exposing them, we kept pumping the ball forward. In a game where patience and calm was required, we absolutely fell apart.

Making our lives more difficult sums up this season. Even though we've been accumulating a really healthy points total, it has been a proper slog to get points on the board. I hope this is just a small blip and we will get back to form on Saturday! 

Edited by SSD

14 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Felt really sorry for Gayle last night . He has the build of a 10 year old kid , yet Wildsmith continued to launch every free-kick,  near the half way line , into the box 20 foot up in the air . Warne now thinks Bradley is some sort of lethal weapon ( after his goal Saturday) but the knock downs didn’t come.

I think the whole Bradley thing sort of sums PW up totally

16 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Yet another awful performance one shot on target against a team that cant buy a win is shocking

Fair play to Charlton they came and did enough to upset us and take the 3 points,my issue is the way we are playing and its not just been the last few games we are bang average at best and being second in this league just shows how poor this division is this season

Im afraid if we do not get in the autos which on recent performances is unlikely i do not fancy us at all in the playoffs.

No way will Warne get sacked so its suck it up im afraid but surely you would expect a change if we do not go up unless Clowes sees us making the playoffs as a massive achievement,i like most think with a better Manager/Coach we would romp this league this season   

We had more than one shot on target but sadly, they were all pretty easy for the goal keeper to take. My only crumb of comfort is that Barnsley didn’t look a whole lot better last week and whilst Posh looked very good at our place, they have proved that they’re quite capable of having a drop in form. Assuming we’re still in touch, how both we and Bolton perform when we meet in two and a half weeks time could be quite telling.

As @angieram rightly pointed out earlier in the week, there is a specific thread to talk about PW (unless it relates specifically to the game in question) so I shan’t comment on his future here.

10 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

You've quoted him jim so he must have said it, He's now admitted what the majority have been saying most of the season, For our Manager to say this shows he's now struggling to come out with any positives from a squad that's his, It's his tactics, His team talks, His coaching and his team selection...over to you Mr Warne

If his team talks contain as much waffle as his interviews,there's no wonder the football is chaos 

I wonder how many supporters would have selected that back four last night based on what we have seen this season with who was available? 
                  For me the strongest and balanced back four available would have been Nyambe Nelson Cashin Sibley and yes Sibley could be a potential weak link it hasn’t really transpired that way when he has played and not to mention he can cross a ball and shoot. 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Injury Prone: Gayle has faced challenges with injuries during his career, which could potentially impact his availability for matches and consistency on the fiel.

Mixed Performance: While Gayle has demonstrated goal-scoring prowess, there have been long periods of inconsistency in his performance over several years, which might be a concern for us.

This seems to ignore the situation were were in when signing Gayle. Warne's failure to find injury cover for Collins left us in a dire situation. Gayle seems to have been the best of a not good range of options. Hard to use his Stoke time as an indicator since as a Stoke supporting friend tells me, Stoke have serially failed under a long sequence of many failed managers. 

But the worst thing about your post is you are not giving Gayle a fair chance if you try to draw conclusions so early - it usually takes time for players to adjust to a new team, and its not like we are playing well at the moment. Its like you have made your mind up already. 

What a strange 90 odd minutes. For half an hour we bossed the game. Won all the second balls, applied the press very successfully causing them to give up possession. Lots of nice passing combinations and some of the best "proper" football we've seen all season. Unfortunately, it led to nothing as our 1st shot was on 18 minutes from Nyambe out wide and about 30 yards from goal and went 4 yards wide of the near post. Our 2nd was another hit and hope by Smith from outside the box. Our only other attempt on goal in the first half was the corner from which Cash scored. Honesty demands that I add, if we'd had VAR, it would have been disallowed for Nelson's headlock on one of their defenders preventing him from jumping for the ball.

The last 15 of the first half, was pretty even, apart from the goal.

2nd half we never got going. They got all the 2nd balls, their press worked and we, as with them 1st half, failed to string 3 passes together. They started to play long balls into the channels to try to undo us with their speed which caused the backline to defend deeper, dragging the MF back and the front 4 as well. Despite their having taken control, as with us, 1st half, that dominance didn't turn into decent attempts on goal. Then JW had his rush of blood, should never have gone through with the challenge, defenders and MF's were getting back and the Charlton player was going away from goal. Silly challenge and a penalty all the way. Then JW made a 2nd mistake. All that stupid jumping up and down and left to right, far from putting the taker off, actually gives him an advantage, one he seems to have gladly taken. When utilising these antics, the keeper's feet are off the ground more often than they are on it. When they are off the floor he can move neither right no left. The little jumps tend to be at a constant frequency. Time your run so you strike the ball when the keeper's feet are off the ground and anywhere towards either post will go in with the keeper totally stranded. had the ball gone straight down the middle and he'd stopped it, it would have been retaken as JW was off his line too soon... that would have been a 3rd error.

Their 2nd goal, poor pass from Wilson to Adams who, therefore, couldn't control it and the ball fell to Aneke who ran on, decent pass to a colleague whose shot was well parried by JW but the rebound fell to Anderson who smashed it into the roof of the net.

We well and truly shot ourselves in the foot.

To those looking no further than when Charlton last won... their previous 2 games were a 3-3 draw at Bolton (level with us on points with a game in hand) and a 0-0 draw at home to Pompey (7 points ahead of us). Jones has them hard to beat and capable of decent play. But no, they haven't won for ages... new manager, current form... passed you by did it? Plus, as I've seen all too often in the 63 years since my first Derby game, teams on a long run, be it a winning or a losing one, often see that run ended when they play Derby.

34 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

We both saw the same game differently which is fine, I just thought they played better on the ground passing football than us and deserved to win, we didn't 

Perhaps they did for the period they were on top, but overall they didn't.

Screenshot_20240228-092938-01.thumb.jpeg.13224462fef43b6f6d7cc0b69314c02e.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I wonder how many supporters would have selected that back four last night based on what we have seen this season with who was available? 
                  For me the strongest and balanced back four available would have been Nyambe Nelson Cashin Sibley and yes Sibley could be a potential weak link it hasn’t really transpired that way when he has played and not to mention he can cross a ball and shoot. 

Sadly, in his last two appearances, he hasn't done either of those successfully, but I too would probably have picked him as LWB over what we ended up with.

10 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

But lo and behold, amidst the tumultuous tempest of the match, Derby’s best centre back found himself out of position, stationed not in the heart of defense where his prowess was most needed, but rather on the flank, a position unfamiliar and ill-suited to his considerable talents. The decision, like a misplaced comma in a sonnet, left spectators scratching their heads in bewilderment.

And as the clock ticked on, the stage was set for a spectacle of managerial antics. Warne, the tactician at the helm of Derby’s destiny, orchestrated a symphony of substitutions that befuddled the senses. Bizarre choices, akin to a chef adding chocolate to a savory stew, left observers questioning the very fabric of reality.

P.G Wodehouse match report.

For anyone who missed it. Poetry. 

One thing that has irritated me all season has been when an opposing player decides to have a lie down with the trainer on our whole team basically walks off the pitch to be replaced by about 6 or 7 people in grey tracksuits who must claim to be a coach or something and after the minimum five minutes they return to the pitch with yet another set of instructions. Well last night I saw about 6-7 of our players simply staying on the pitch in their positions, I have no idea if that means something but it something different to look at 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Sadly, in his last two appearances, he hasn't done either of those successfully, but I too would probably have picked him as LWB over what we ended up with.

The word was can - at left back there is more chance of him actually receiving the football to have opportunities to do either the way we play 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Last night? Wing back, winger, centre-forward. Three positions in under 45 minutes' football. There's no wonder the players don't know what they're doing.

They're not the only ones who don't know what they're doing.