Paul Warne

Day

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Relegation next season would be a disaster of staggering proportions. I am optimistic for the new season (it's the hope that kills you) and think anything below mid table would be disappointing. 

We've currently lost Bird, Hourihane, Adams, Smith, Waghorn and possibly Sibley and Collins, and we've added Osborne. You seriously at this very moment would be disappointed at anything below mid table? I'm hoping for more than a relegation battle, but I think that we need more players before saying that we should finish above mid table.

we've also lost Wildsmith and I've probably forgotten more

Edited by richinspain
Added

On 24/06/2024 at 23:20, EulogyForEvolution said:

I was listening to the Rest is Football the other day and David Moyes and Alan Shearer were talking about being on the same managerial course a while ago. 

Moyes would have already been in management a decade at that point. There are lots of courses to do and managers don't have an awful lot of spare time.

I think he was referring to the fact that Moyes had done the same course years earlier and gave him some advice on it.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

We've currently lost Bird, Hourihane, Adams, Smith, Waghorn and possibly Sibley and Collins, and we've added Osborne. You seriously at this very moment would be disappointed at anything below mid table? I'm hoping for more than a relegation battle, but I think that we need more players before saying that we should finish above mid table.

I don't think he ever played for us 😁

image.png.26b7c08a069ae4493fb55385c9159e35.png

11 hours ago, richinspain said:

Yes we'll have more players. Hourihane, Smith, Waghorn and possibly Collins weren't good enough for this level. I don't have any doubts we'll bring in better players before the season starts. In football, as in life, you have to aim high. If you're satisfied with just finishing above the relegation places, you may very well end up in them.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes we'll have more players. Hourihane, Smith, Waghorn and possibly Collins weren't good enough for this level. I don't have any doubts we'll bring in better players before the season starts. In football, as in life, you have to aim high. If you're satisfied with just finishing above the relegation places, you may very well end up in them.

I agree entirely in that you should always aim to win ALL of your games, and therefore finish champions, but realistically we are very unlikely to even be pushing for a top two spot. We will sign new players, and I would definitely expect them to be better than the ones that have left, but expecting top half even and being disappointed if we don't achieve it, at this point, does seem unrealistic to me. I'm not saying that I would be satisfied with finishing just above the relegation places, however that is the very, very minimum that I am hoping for. If we sign some top, top players however I probably will expect much higher 😂

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

The DET article mentions we will be looking at a new deal for Warne. Clowes values stability. Whatever you think of Warne, we are in very good hands with Clowes and his way of thinking.

Seems weird to be giving him a new deal. Couple of years still running on the original deal, and whilst he's done his job so far, the main question marks have always been around his ability to keep us up or take us any further in the Championship. Feels hasty. 

I wonder if there's been another team sniffing  and it'll be a pay increase to keep him. 4 promotions on his CV now, theres a lot worse managers out there who land good jobs. Interesting Clowes thinks he's 1/2 transfer windows away from really having his own team too so we're yet to see a proper Warne team.

12 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why are we still handing out deals for fun? He's got another 3 hasn't he? 

I agree, albeit I thought he only had two years left? No question that Warne did a fantastic job last season and Clowes clearly loves working with him. Nevertheless, the financial package to bring him to the club was relatively substantial. He would’ve been the best paid manager in League One and probably one of the top paid managers in the EFL. When analysing the accounts and the unaccounted money, it did occur to me that part of that could well be the wages for the first-team staff. 

I would give him this season and then review for a new contract after the new year, we have to sustain our Championship status and whilst we have expectations that will be the case, it’s by no means a given.

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Relegation next season would be a disaster of staggering proportions. I am optimistic for the new season (it's the hope that kills you) and think anything below mid table would be disappointing. 

So you'd be disappointed if we finished 13th ?