Paul Warne

Day

29 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m fully behind Warne as I think we need slow growth and stability and I don’t see this season as boom or bust. Fully appreciate not everyone feels the same and I’m not currently there at every home game so I don’t quite feel the full impact of the frustration.

Id rather grow something around Warne, but he is being out thought whilst his players are being out fought.

image.png.e6df8b7ec737e16a4adc0b683b061035.png

40 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

How much players are deterating under Warne !!!

Sibley isn't half the player he was under previous manager's.  

Is it one goal at PP in 2 years/seasons he's not half the player he was. 

Personally I think Warnes lost the dressing room.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sibbo's been the same player since the start of Cocu's second season. It ain't just Warne's fault.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Sibbo's been the same player since the start of Cocu's second season. It ain't just Warne's fault.

The fact that he looked rather good as LFB last season, and when we needed one last night we got Cashin, has to be questioned. Obviously Sibley has done something wrong?

58 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Honestly, there is so much tripe posted in here after a defeat it is laughable!

We've lost back to back league games for the 1st time.

We are 2nd in the table despite having to deal with a lack of attacking options.

Yes, we would all like to see more flair, more attacking football, but we just don't have the personnel for it atm, our financial restrictions have limited who we have been able to recruit and more importantly, IMO, who we were able to keep hold of.

I really wish we had played a 5 at the back last night with the lack of a left back being available, Sibley at LWB and Wilson at RWB would have given us more attacking options IMO, but he chose to play a 4 with Cashin at LB, a 4 that the vast majority are screaming for despite the personnel not being available.

No matter how poor the football is perceived to be by some, we ONLY lost to stupid, amateurish individual errors again, just like at the beginning of the season.

Is it Warnes fault that Wildsmith had another brainfart? We could see from the South stand that when the ball went forward he would never get there in time as he wasn't on his toes in anticipation, so he should have got close and stood his grd to make the player have to beat him.

Was it Warnes fault that the numerous mistakes from individuals cost us the 2nd goal, fgs, I came from us trying to pass it around at the back instead of launching it forwards (what most people complain about as Warne ball.... so it feels like all those moaners got what they deserved by trying to pass it around with league 1 players!).

I for 1 will be there on Saturday and give him my full support, despite not agreeing with some of his decisions,  after all, what do I know compared to the man that has us 2nd in the table?

And for all those that say any other manager would have us 1st, prove it, Where's the evidence? Who's to say we wouldn't have lost more games? Or is it just your opinion, a bit like mine, so worthless other than being an opinion of a fan that has watched thousands of games but never had access to the inner workings of a club out of administration and the coaching badges to allow me to be on the training ground. 

Good post and I'll be there on Saturday as well (also renewing my ST without hesitation) and I've been banging on for ages that our failings are not ALL down to PW. However, whilst arguably correct to say we only lost due to individual errors, I think this is a tad misleading. We also lost because we failed to control the game enough or create and finish enough opportunities. If you allow the opposition to take control for long periods of the game (as Charlton did for good parts of the second half) then there is a high risk that they will get back into the game either through their pressing or from errors in your own team.

I'm not suggesting we should dominate from start to finish (there are bound to be periods when the opposition get the upper hand) but there felt like an inevitability that they would score by one means or another and we did very little to trouble their keeper. COYR 

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

We are 2nd in the table despite having to deal with a lack of attacking options.

Yes, we would all like to see more flair, more attacking football, but we just don't have the personnel for it atm, our financial restrictions have limited who we have been able to recruit and more importantly, IMO, who we were able to keep hold of.

I really wish we had played a 5 at the back last night with the lack of a left back being available, Sibley at LWB and Wilson at RWB would have given us more attacking options IMO, but he chose to play a 4 with Cashin at LB, a 4 that the vast majority are screaming for despite the personnel not being available.

No matter how poor the football is perceived to be by some, we ONLY lost to stupid, amateurish individual errors again, just like at the beginning of the season.

Is it Warnes fault that Wildsmith had another brainfart? We could see from the South stand that when the ball went forward he would never get there in time as he wasn't on his toes in anticipation, so he should have got close and stood his grd to make the player have to beat him.

Was it Warnes fault that the numerous mistakes from individuals cost us the 2nd goal, fgs, I came from us trying to pass it around at the back instead of launching it forwards (what most people complain about as Warne ball.... so it feels like all those moaners got what they deserved by trying to pass it around with league 1 players!).

I for 1 will be there on Saturday and give him my full support, despite not agreeing with some of his decisions,  after all, what do I know compared to the man that has us 2nd in the table?

And for all those that say any other manager would have us 1st, prove it, Where's the evidence? Who's to say we wouldn't have lost more games? Or is it just your opinion, a bit like mine, so worthless other than being an opinion of a fan that has watched thousands of games but never had access to the inner workings of a club out of administration and the coaching badges to allow me to be on the training ground. 

Top post…..👏

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

We were looking relatively comfortable until Smith went off, despite not much in the way of goal attempts and Charlton picking up their efforts after HT. The head  tennis was as much down to THEIR tactics as anything - there was often little space to actually bring the ball down without getting crunched.

No - But our defenders were heading it as strong and far as they could instead of heading it to Bird/Smith who were very often just simple lay off headers.

I guess its what you get when you sign players like Bradley.

The amount of points lost form winning positions would suggest that looking comfortable is never comfortable. We should 100% be pushing for that second. By going on a proper offensive, in my opinion we have as much chance of conceding a goal from being offensive as we do from just 'looking comfortable' if you get my drift.

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Sensible post - so I'll pick it apart a little.

We are second because other teams are atrocious. We have the highest wage bill by a long way - of course that doesn't guarantee success but I do believe we have a number of very good player - its the way they are being told to execute their jobs which is the issue for me.

5 at the back - we struggle to create. 3 Centre backs, two wing backs who often become full backs and two holding midfielders - this is a recipe for not creating - as we have seen multiple times now.

So what/how has Wildsmith been coached by Andy Warrington. Surely after the debacle at Oxford, Wildsmith would have received coaching on what to do in that situation? So poor decision by Wildsmith especially as he delayed his coming out but not being coached very well is he.

Second goal - the pass form Wilson was poor - he gunned it to Ebou Adams but it was not on the ground. why as a team do we seem to put so much focus on getting the direction of the pass correct that anything over 15 yards seems to be a few bounces. Watch Man City play, watch Arsenal, watch Brighton - when they pass to each other the ball stays on the deck. This means the receiving player can control it immediately or make a first time pass more successfully. Wilson hammered it to Adams off the deck. So poor coaching for me again - not to mention the fact that Wilson went backwards. However - I don't have such an issue with that. However - Can you tell me how many times our players actually move into space? They don't - we're static as anything. This is one of the big changes to NML's game - he wants the ball to feet every time - a defender isn't worried about him (or literally anyone) on our team making a run into space.

I'm sorry - our football has been shambolic for most of the season. We win games IMO because we generally have better players who are able to pull bits of magic out and thus deliver - NML being a prime example. Worth noting that the top five contributing players offensively this year are all Rosenoir signings/Academy. (NML, CH, JC, MB and TB). Warne hasn't bought in, as yet, an offensive player able to make any impact in this team. I trust CBT will come good though.

My final point on the coaching (away from the head tennis) - literally how dated and old school is the tactic of when we get a set piece anywhere from about 20 yards inside our half, the tactic is literally put everyone up to their box and just chip a high ball in. That's park football stuff. I cannot remember that being anywhere near successful in goals we have scored this season. I genuinely thought I'd seen a change after Stevenage away - next game goal kicks were being taken short, same with free kicks - CH, MB, NML, EC, CN - they were all allowed to 'play football' - and then we started winning - but now, this has gone out of the window again - and not once did I see Warne last night telling the team to keep the ball on the deck.

if we scrape over the finish line, I'll be amazed but grateful - but with Warne there and his limited repertoire of coaching - we're screwed next season whichever league we are in.

15 minutes ago, rammieib said:

No - But our defenders were heading it as strong and far as they could instead of heading it to Bird/Smith who were very often just simple lay off headers.

I guess its what you get when you sign players like Bradley.

The amount of points lost form winning positions would suggest that looking comfortable is never comfortable. We should 100% be pushing for that second. By going on a proper offensive, in my opinion we have as much chance of conceding a goal from being offensive as we do from just 'looking comfortable' if you get my drift.

Precisely.

If they closed their eyes they couldn’t find opponents so unerringly.

All power, no precision. This is what contributes to scrappy football.

Little wonder our midfield struggles. They are either trying to control a ball fired at them or indeed to watch a ball fly over them.

We have a squad way above average (possibly the best?) in a division that is dreadful.

I honestly believe we're second in the league in spite of Paul Warne, not because of him. 

Someone like Nathan Jones, whether you like him or not, would have us top of this division as we'd see games out.

And we wouldn't have the best Centre Half at the club playing left back

14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know of 1 first team player who was, allegedly, far from complementary about Warne when out drinking with someone I know recently.

Assuming that's true, it shows that some of the players must think similar things too.

Is that you mason?

5 hours ago, Ramtastic ones said:

Warne set up as a 4-2-3-1. I have no issue with that, but why push Cashin to left back? He needs to be brave. Sibley has filled that role well on numerous occasions. Well has Bradley has played lately he should have been on the bench.

I like Wilson but he has a trait - fail to put the opposition full back on toast early on and his confidence pours away. Like last night, when that happens he doesn't have a good game. Warne should have taken him off early in the second half.

Substitutions. Smith and Adams were playing well - amongst our best on the night. Why does he take them off and leave us without any physicality in midfield against a physical side?

Yes the players made mistakes, but Warnes decisions increase the pressure on the players and thus increase the chances of them making mistakes.

Don’t think you can criticise the subs made. Adams possibly but he’d been kicked from pillar to post and played majority of the game, Smith is just back from injury so need to be careful as Gayle also we need to treat carefully. You can definitely criticise started by line up, but only alternative would be sibs or Wilson at left back, Elder would no doubt have started if fit. 

I just thought Smiths interview after the game was telling the players sat back and played safe, the energy and physicality stopped in the second half as well as bravery on the ball. That’s on the players. But first half was a real opportunity to bury the game and team selection played a part in not doing so. It’s easy to blame Warne it’s more balanced to look at the collective. 

Im not calling people out for criticising Warne, if he gets us promoted this season or next that’s par performance no more than that, he should then be judged on what he can do in the championship band jury is out as to whether he’s the right man long term, just feel a lot of the criticism he gets isn’t balanced and not always fair

33 minutes ago, rammieib said:

...... By going on a proper offensive, in my opinion we have as much chance of conceding a goal from being offensive as we do from just 'looking comfortable' if you get my drift.

The opposition can't score while you're attacking their box.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Because it was his first start since November?

Because it was also his first start since November?

I know 1 player was very unsettled at the start of the season. 

I get the impression Warne has his favourites. Anyone else is dropped quickly when one of his favourites is available again, despite how they may have been performing. I think it would be reasonable to understand a player being upset if they felt they were wrongfully dropped or not given a fair chance.

We have Ward amd Fornah who are seemingly being frozen out of the squad. Thompson impressed in pre-season but was reluctantly put into midfield at the start of the season "because there wasn't anyone else", and appears to be back in the same situation now. Sibley still needs to make an impact in back to back games to stay in the team, and now isn't even fancied at LB over a CB. Barkhuizen likewise- only 1 start all month, despite scoring 4 and assisting 3 in 8 ganes when given a consistent run of starts in December and January.

To be honest the player in question was a key first team player until recently.

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Don’t think you can criticise the subs made. Adams possibly but he’d been kicked from pillar to post and played majority of the game, Smith is just back from injury so need to be careful as Gayle also we need to treat carefully. You can definitely criticise started by line up, but only alternative would be sibs or Wilson at left back, Elder would no doubt have started if fit. 

I don't necessarily have a problem with taking Smith and Adams off if they're struggling for fitness or whatever, it's more the way the whole thing was handled.  We had 2 major shifts in system during the game - from 4231, to 352 when Sibley came on, to 433 (I think) when CBT came on.  Each one of those shifts, we ended up with less players in central midfield - I think Bird was basically playing on his own in there by the end (it looked like he was at the base of a 433, with Sibley and Barkhuizen in front of him, but it was very muddled by that stage).  So each time we change system, we get further and further away from what actually worked early on (passing through midfield into Gayle's feet) and leaned more and more into what really wasn't working (endless head-tennis as we just and get the ball quickly to the bunch of guys milling around up front).  And that's on top of the general confusion caused by players repeatedly moving between positions during the game.

If we needed to take off Smith and Adams, we had Thompson, Fornah and Sibley as midfield options on the bench.  And if we weren't willing to use them, then why were they on thereat all?

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's not point scoring (much like the football last night). It's a lot easier when you're sat at home to just write it off as a poor performance and move on, when fans go regularly and spend their money to sit in the cold to watch the crap served up, they aren't going to do that. 

You write off performances and move on because it’s in the past and you can’t change or rewrite the past?

This idea that you feel and see things more keenly if you are a regular is silly. If you are a fan, you are a fan. It doesn’t matter if you watch on TV or from the stands, go to 5 games or 500 games, travel 5 miles or 50, spend £5 or £5000, you only want the best for your club and it hurts or lifts you up all the same. If you want to dwell on every poor result and every poor performance, of course you are never going to be happy.

We are a club that has been in the second tier (and now third tier) almost exclusively for 25 years. Naturally the bad outweighs the good. I started going to games regularly in 2001 and the years of good football are massively outnumbered by the years where we played poorly. We are surely used to ‘putting up with it’.

If you are a fan of this club, circumstances tend to stop you from going, not entertainment value. I suspect unless you grew up on the Clough, Mackay, Cox and Smith teams, being entertained wasn’t what drew you to supporting the club in the first place and standing by the club through good and bad.

You make it sound like this is the first time in a long time we have played poor football and like this is some oddity. Warne isn’t the first Derby manager to produce a questionable and divisive brand of football, but he might be one of the few to achieve relative success if he is allowed to see the job through.

Sadly reached the conclusion that a change of Manager at the end of the season is required whether we go up or not.   If we fail to get promoted this season then season ticket sales will drop with  Warne still in charge and if we are in the Championship it is hard to see anything other than a Rotherham type struggle with his brand of football.