Paul Warne

Day

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

That team signed a dozen players in January, got a new manager and drew their last 2 games with the teams sitting 1st & 3rd. They were never going to lie down and die for us.

There wasn't much wrong with our approach until Wildsmith decided to go walkies.

Yes here was. Going for 3 at the back was or undoing last night, and everything fell apart from there.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Me? A happy clapper?

There have been times on this forum where people have suggested I was clinically depressed. What a turn of events.

What is the coffee we are meant to be smelling?

Nescafé Gold Blend? Starbucks Venezuelan Summer Blend?

Honestly never thought I would see the day that you would be called a happy clapper on here. I’m buying a lottery ticket! Anything can happen. 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

You write off performances and move on because it’s in the past and you can’t change or rewrite the past?

This idea that you feel and see things more keenly if you are a regular is silly. If you are a fan, you are a fan. It doesn’t matter if you watch on TV or from the stands, go to 5 games or 500 games, travel 5 miles or 50, spend £5 or £5000, you only want the best for your club and it hurts or lifts you up all the same. If you want to dwell on every poor result and every poor performance, of course you are never going to be happy.

We are a club that has been in the second tier (and now third tier) almost exclusively for 25 years. Naturally the bad outweighs the good. I started going to games regularly in 2001 and the years of good football are massively outnumbered by the years where we played poorly. We are surely used to ‘putting up with it’.

If you are a fan of this club, circumstances tend to stop you from going, not entertainment value. I suspect unless you grew up on the Clough, Mackay, Cox and Smith teams, being entertained wasn’t what drew you to supporting the club in the first place and standing by the club through good and bad.

You make it sound like this is the first time in a long time we have played poor football and like this is some oddity. Warne isn’t the first Derby manager to produce a questionable and divisive brand of football, but he might be one of the few to achieve relative success if he is allowed to see the job through.

So because we've had bad sides before, we should continue to accept that we aren't able to be entertained moving forwards in perpetuity?

Let's all be real here, going from when we were relegated back to the Championship until now, we've had very few managers who have played a worse style than Warne. Clough at least played youth and built a solid core, Rowett had a lot more tactical nous than Warne, and Rooney's football was a lot more compelling. 

So to counteract your claim that this is not an oddity, I would argue that this is exceptionally poor football. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So because we've had bad sides before, we should continue to accept that we aren't able to be entertained moving forwards in perpetuity?

Let's all be real here, going from when we were relegated back to the Championship until now, we've had very few managers who have played a worse style than Warne. Clough at least played youth and built a solid core, Rowett had a lot more tactical nous than Warne, and Rooney's football was a lot more compelling. 

So to counteract your claim that this is not an oddity, I would argue that this is exceptionally poor football. 

No, I think it’s important to be realistic with where we are, what restrictions we have been under, how long down the line into the rebuild we are, and what we can realistically deliver with this squad week in, week out.

We’re in a position where trade offs are always likely. The irony is if we played entertaining football and were integrating the youngsters but were 10th, in its own way it would be derided. Warne and Clowes can’t really win.

I think it’s a case of recency bias that you want to suggest this brand of football is worse than what came before. It really isn’t. The fact you want to call Rooney’s football ‘compelling’ tells me that you are very entrenched here.

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Oh right so last night wasn’t the players fault, so it’s Warne and his staff to blame for continually losing control of the ball , half hearted challenges , misplaced passes aplenty, little attempt to win the ball back after losing it I could go on , you and others on here keep using your pathetic excuses to keep bashing the manager

well, yes. it's been going on for so long, and we all know the players are capable of better as the majority of the squad have been competant championship players. It therefore has to be the coaching, or lack of.

whats warne actually done ? can you list some things he's definetely improved? 

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

The players should be able to adapt to a change in formation they will practice it every day in training 

It wasn't the actual change in formation, it is the fact that the formation doesn't work for Derby County and the players available. Sadly, Warne has this fixation that he has to have a spell of 3/5 at the back at some stage in every match, and also, having given Bradley a few matches where he has done OK ish he has now got to play him in every match whether it is the right thing to do or not. A clue, Mr Warne: it isn't the right thing to do.

Had Rosenoir taken us up which I am 100% convinced he would have done either last season or this season, I would trust him 100% to find players of Championship ability.

On the miracle/fluke Warne Ball gets us up, do you trust him to be able to attract any decent players to this club? 

Edited by rammieib

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

No, I think it’s important to be realistic with where we are, what restrictions we have been under, how long down the line into the rebuild we are, and what we can realistically deliver with this squad week in, week out.

We’re in a position where trade offs are always likely. The irony is if we played entertaining football and were integrating the youngsters but were 10th, in its own way it would be derided. Warne and Clowes can’t really win.

I think it’s a case of recency bias that you want to suggest this brand of football is worse than what came before. It really isn’t. The fact you want to call Rooney’s football ‘compelling’ tells me that you are very entrenched here.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The players should be able to adapt to a change in formation they will practice it every day in training 

Looked completely nonplussed to a man after Nyambe was forced off!

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Had Rosenoir taken us up which I am 100% convinced he would have done either last season or this season, I would trust him 100% to find players of Championship ability.

On the miracle/fluke Warne Ball gets us up, do you trust him to be able to attract any decent players to this club? 

The club as an entire package will attract players.

Warne is only one small element of that. It starts from the top and encompasses the whole club set up.

If we get promoted to the Championship, of course we will attract decent to good players if we can afford to pay for them.

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It's so frustrating when people suggest that if we played decent football we'd be lower down the division. There is nothing in that. Teams have gotten out of league one playing decent football. If we played decent football and integrated youngsters people could see direction. We currently don't have clear direction.

We'd likely be in a better position had Clowes just given Rosenior the chance from the beginning. 

Rooney's football was of a better standard than the current football, in spite of the more difficult situation he was in. 

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I would take games like MK Dons or Portsmouth last season, under Warne, than pretty much any of the dross served up at home this season, and we won neither. But we played attacking football with a plan and created lots of chances. Frustrating games but entertaining.

I can probably think of one game this season, Northampton, with a performance that comes close. 

So we can do it under Warne. The question is why we aren’t. He said it himself yesterday - we’ve not played well all season. He is honest 99% of the time to his credit but how does that reflect on him if he himself knows we are playing poorly and have done all year! It is literally his job for that not to happen!

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne is only one small element of that. It starts from the top and encompasses the whole club set up.

If we get promoted to the Championship, of course we will attract decent to good players if we can afford to pay for them.

The manager is not a small bit at all. The manager is massive pull to a football club. You are playing for the manager his tactics his style of football etc. lang went to Portsmouth due to there better style of football look at his interview. Derby shouldn’t be missing out on players to Portsmouth and wouldn’t with a manager who played decent football and had a pull factor 

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I partially agree but the manager and his style of play has a huge weighting on it especially when the days of paying silly money/salaries are gone.

I see little evidence of them practicing much every day in training. I am sure they do practice, but the manager is clearly inept at getting his message over. They look confused. 

32 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

well, yes. it's been going on for so long, and we all know the players are capable of better as the majority of the squad have been competant championship players. It therefore has to be the coaching, or lack of.

whats warne actually done ? can you list some things he's definetely improved? 

The away form for starters, IMO the defence, bringing in Nels and Nyambe have helped with this