Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

Having scoured the European Leagues on transfermarkt for players on expiring contracts, I would look to see if Erik Exposito at Slask Wrocław was a possibility.  He’s probably played himself into a higher level than we can afford now, but is a striker who is out of contract and is tall, mobile and scores goals… (disclaimer: opinion based purely on stats and highlights reels)

13 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And who are you suggesting we sign? We all know the current playing staff and their ages, who do you suggest in terms of improving that? 

I appreciate age can be a concern for some, for me if the right player is available to improve the squad, whether they’re over or under 30 is immaterial in the short to medium term. A 31 year old centre back could play for another 3/4/5 years without any massive decline in ability. A name you mentioned, Jamie Vardy, he’s 37 years old and in theory will be available on a free (now I’m not saying he’s a realistic signing) but would I take him as an upgrade on Waghorn for example? Absolutely I would. 

I think I might consider Jonson Clarke-Harris, who's 29 years old and a free agent this summer.

12 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Cameron Brannigan has run the show for Oxford tonight. We need that type of player in the middle of the pitch. Contract runs until 2025 I believe but he has a footballing brain and would adapt in the Championship. Scores goals as well.

Yeah he’d be a great upgrade on bird. Must be getting close to moving on too. Is probably not going up with Oxford 

has a lot more end product than bird, just seems a really neat and tidy footballer.

him and Adams be a great centre mid

29 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Yeah he’d be a great upgrade on bird. Must be getting close to moving on too. Is probably not going up with Oxford 

has a lot more end product than bird, just seems a really neat and tidy footballer.

him and Adams be a great centre mid

Bird - 10 non-penalty or set-piece goals/assists

Brannagan - 7

Yep... a lot more end product than than Bird.

Currently need a couple of CM’s next season regardless of who we resign. Would like to think we bring Thommo back and try our utmost to sign Ebou. Would then think we need a creative type and maybe another ‘ball winner and distributor’. Does Brannagan fit the creator role? Would he be a good investment of our transfer pot?

Im also assuming we’ll have a transfer pot again, even though restrictions will be lifted. Clowes isn’t steeped in riches and we will want to spend within our means. Any transfer costing a fee will have to be thought out.

I have no idea what calibre of players we would need to bring in to make us competitive in the Championship, but it's exciting to think about.

In theory, we should be able to attract better players - particularly loans from the bigger clubs - and it will be interesting to see what Warne can conjure up without restrictions.

I’d like to think we will bring goals into our team next season.

For all the passion and desire a Tommo, Adams and Smith centre mid combo brings you, they won’t be scaring anyone in the opposition box. I think they have one goal each this season?

In terms of centre mids - Ebou Adams, Thelo Aasgaard, Adam Phillips & Paris Maghoma

I wouldnt mind us going for all them in the summer for our midfield. A good mixture of youth, creativity & athleticism.

I would also keep Smith on for a year as an old head, experienced centre mid.

12 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Would we bring Will Hughes back home on a free? If he didn't have silly wage demands of course.

He’ll get a deal with a Premier League side, maybe a promoted side: Leicester, Ipswich, etc. 

I suspect most of our work will come through free agency, again, as there is a lot of players out of contract but will be a very competitive market. 

Players like Tyrese Campbell, Liam Cullen, Sinclair Armstrong & Chris Willock will be available but everyone will be in for them. We are going to need to be creative in our recruitment. 

Another couple of Barnsley players with expiring contracts that may be of interest: Nicky Cadden to compete with Sibs (and Elder.. ahem..) for left wing back, and Devante Cole as a powerful centre forward option.

9 hours ago, sage said:

Herbie Kane and Alan Browne both available on a free, as is Callum O'Hare but doubt we'd entice him. Would be a great midfield though.

As usual CF will be the hardest place to recruit.

32 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Another couple of Barnsley players with expiring contracts that may be of interest: Nicky Cadden to compete with Sibs (and Elder.. ahem..) for left wing back, and Devante Cole as a powerful centre forward option.

For me this is how some of our business should look this summer, compete to sign the better free agents  from sides who don’t go up from league one (those from Barnsley, Burrows from Posh if Wardy could help with the sales pitch?)

If we can upgrade some of our own departing players without spending fees then we can hopefully invest what we do have funds wise in a couple of quality additions in attack.

On 20/04/2024 at 07:46, r4derby said:

Currently need a couple of CM’s next season regardless of who we resign. Would like to think we bring Thommo back and try our utmost to sign Ebou. Would then think we need a creative type and maybe another ‘ball winner and distributor’. Does Brannagan fit the creator role? Would he be a good investment of our transfer pot?

Im also assuming we’ll have a transfer pot again, even though restrictions will be lifted. Clowes isn’t steeped in riches and we will want to spend within our means. Any transfer costing a fee will have to be thought out.

It's completely understandable that DC, having saved the Club by spending a significant part of his wealth, will want to seek outside investment in order to continue our progress. Assuming next Saturday goes to plan, being a Championship club is going to make Derby County a far more attractive proposition than has been the case this last 2 years.