Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

On 24/04/2024 at 06:05, CapeTownRams said:

Brannagan from Oxford if they don’t go up 👍👍

Been a class player for them for about 3 seasons now, he could easily step up to the Championship. Would cost us a transfer fee being under contract until summer next year.

6 minutes ago, Oldben said:

If we can compete with other interested sides for their signatures I’d be looking at the following;

Herbie Kane - CM (25) at Barnsley, goals and assists at league one, one of their better players and could do a job for us as a younger option to the (likely) departing Hourihane.

Josh Knight - CB (26) at Posh. A younger cb option than Bradley and Forsyth, thought he’s been decent when we’ve played them.

OR

Jordan Williams - CB (24) at Barnsley. As above, also captain at Barnsley so potentially a good leader at a good age.

Harrison Burrows - LB (22) at Posh. One of their best players, would be a great first choice at Lb/lwb ahead of Elder. 6 Goals and 14 assists this season. Probably get signed by a club with better resource than us but you never know. 

There’ll be others too, maybe from the relegated champ sides (Oliver Rathbone from Rotherham is one I’m almost expecting to sign as a former Warne player).

Hopefully the business we do is shrewd in building squad depth via free agents then what money we do have to spend can be used on the key players (Ebou Adams anyone?) 

Probably goes without saying but we need to be looking in the goal scoring department. Defensively we're the best in the league so just adding some depth there so we actually have the option of playing with 3 CB's if Warne wants, something he wasn't really afforded at times. LB needs sorting out because Sibley as good as he's tried will get found out there if he's still around, can Elder stay fit enough? The centre of midfield plays a big part in keeping the defensive side solid and Adams looks a no brainer if we can get him, can we I don't know? Another in there probably needed too. Its the attacking options. Nat is fine but we've done well to keep him as fit as we have this season and he's not getting any younger. Collins might do ok as a backup option but the likes of Waggy and Wash I can't see it. Trouble is everyone is in the market for a goal scorer as we found this season trying to replace McGoldrick. 

Suspect we might have seen a few farewells today-Barks/Hourihane maybe even Sibs/Collins/Wildsmith 

going to be a long and exciting summer, and time to see if the recruitment fella can really spot some players with the freedom of a higher budget and no pressure of promotion

Ben Wiles from Huddersfield  -  was a key midfielder at Rotherham under warne. Since signing from Rotherham last summer move doesn't appear to have worked out, especially since change of manager where now only getting on as a sub. If Huddersfield go down may be willing sell and cut their losses.

We’re in a rare position, season finished in April and we have two full months before contracts even expire to look at who we might be able to pick up on a free.

The first game of the season is the weekend around the 10th of August. That’s 15 weeks before our next competitive game, a hell of a lot of time to do a hell of a lot of work on getting this squad ready to compete in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

We’re in a rare position, season finished in April and we have two full months before contracts even expire to look at who we might be able to pick up on a free.

The first game of the season is the weekend around the 10th of August. That’s 15 weeks before our next competitive game, a hell of a lot of time to do a hell of a lot of work on getting this squad ready to compete in the Championship.

And a well-deserved break for our players. 

Rest up, lads, you've earned it!

Speaking to a friend from Rotherham about their season and he thinks the only players out of their team who are close to championship standard are Johansson and Humphreys. I don't think GK is a position we need to look at as priority unless either Vickers or Wildsmith want to depart, so I imagine Johansson will be snapped up by someone. Humphreys is a CB at a a good age with a good pedigree so I definitely wouldn't be against us going in for him

I think under contract, successful L1 players would probably be the fastest way to spend all the money we have to play with. I hope we dont get too tempted by picking over the relegated teams too, take if Birmingham go down (sniggers) would we want Beilik or Buchanan? Both of whom we know will be purging to leave, will command stupid fees and will consider themselves worthy of high wages (Beilik would want the same if not more than he was on). But they like other relegated players know how to lose ... often.

Championship players whose move didnt work out, think Adams if we bought him not loaned (we've upped his value now). Good players just need a new start.

Released youth from the Premier. Think Plange and Ebouwi as two recent examples. Young, hungry something to prove but the Premier side cant see it yet.

Blends youth and experience and a bit of determination that we might be their last chance saloon for this level.

11 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

Speaking to a friend from Rotherham about their season and he thinks the only players out of their team who are close to championship standard are Johansson and Humphreys. I don't think GK is a position we need to look at as priority unless either Vickers or Wildsmith want to depart, so I imagine Johansson will be snapped up by someone. Humphreys is a CB at a a good age with a good pedigree so I definitely wouldn't be against us going in for him

Alan Nixon reported Stoke are after Johansson last week. £1 mill fee.

He has also got some Derby news this morning apparently can't see who he's linked us with? 

If Wildsmith goes (and why would he?) then we’d do well to look at that bloke at Exeter who is on loan from Villa - Viljami Sinisalo. Finland goalkeeper who has been getting rave reviews and has a bit of Mart Poom about him (well, from his neck of the woods). 

14 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Alan Nixon reported Stoke are after Johansson last week. £1 mill fee.

He has also got some Derby news this morning apparently can't see who he's linked us with? 

https://the72.co.uk/2024/04/28/derby-county-portsmouth-and-qpr-want-league-one-loan-ace/ 

This is the Nixon linked player Bosun Lawal on loan at Fleetwood this season from Celtic 

Portsmouth and QPR also interested

Think the defence is good enough as it is.  I must be watching a different team to some of you as Sibley has been as good as Wilson on the other side and better than Elder - no way should we be spending the budget replacing him when without doubt he'd sign a new contract. 

Centre mid it's not rocket science we need Adams or similar and a replacement for Bird in his attacking role.   

We need  at least one striker.  Collins has had a better season but  an option with more pace.  Not ruling out keeping Gayle - if we look at league 1 this year two of the best returns have come from Rhodes and Chris Martin so veteran forwards can work but ideally someone a bit younger.

Edited by trappatoni

13 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

Probably goes without saying but we need to be looking in the goal scoring department. Defensively we're the best in the league so just adding some depth there so we actually have the option of playing with 3 CB's if Warne wants, something he wasn't really afforded at times. LB needs sorting out because Sibley as good as he's tried will get found out there if he's still around, can Elder stay fit enough? The centre of midfield plays a big part in keeping the defensive side solid and Adams looks a no brainer if we can get him, can we I don't know? Another in there probably needed too. Its the attacking options. Nat is fine but we've done well to keep him as fit as we have this season and he's not getting any younger. Collins might do ok as a backup option but the likes of Waggy and Wash I can't see it. Trouble is everyone is in the market for a goal scorer as we found this season trying to replace McGoldrick. 

P.W said yesterday that they have been having meetings already about players . If you think that the cost of Jules, Washington , Waghorn , Gayle and Collo have cost us around £250 k a month - that’s the season ticket money gone . A young Proven Championship striker , that can stay fit could probably decide our season , I would like us to plan for more than one season at a time . 

2 hours ago, Donkey Derby said:

Ben Wiles from Huddersfield  -  was a key midfielder at Rotherham under warne. Since signing from Rotherham last summer move doesn't appear to have worked out, especially since change of manager where now only getting on as a sub. If Huddersfield go down may be willing sell and cut their losses.

Huddersfield are down…