Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

6 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Yokohama F Marinos is probably my favourite team since under Big Ange they played some of the most entertaining football i've ever seen. If Spurs back him this summer I think they could seriously challenge next year with an aging Man City core and Liverpool without Klopp.

J league has become so much better in quality especially the physicality and the speed of play in the past 5 years or so. It's easy to watch since most of the matches are on Youtube for free if you happen to wake up at 6/7 in the morning on a Saturday/Sunday.

Another Japanese transfer suggestion is Yuta Nakayama at Huddersfield who is on a free in the summer. Did his achilles halfway through last season and been a victim of 7 managers at Huddersfield since he signed so not had the best of experiences but is an International player when fit and ready.

Very similar to Forsyth who was originally a Left Mid before transitioning to Left Back/Centre back and could replace Fozzy should he be gone in the summer. Yuta could play Left of the 3 or even left wing back in Warnes preferred 3-5-2.

I was doing my usual nosing of expiring contracts and spotted the lad from Huddersfield as one of the championship players we might pass on the way up the football league (along with a couple of Rotherham midfielders 👀).
I don’t know much about the J-League, or any of the Asian leagues really, but I’ve always admired the players that have come from that region to do well in European football. There’s often an added commercial element when signing players from say Japan or South Korea with fans from those countries having a good reverence for their compatriots and the clubs they join, could be an added bonus of a talented footballer and increased profile in lucrative markets. 

16 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I was doing my usual nosing of expiring contracts and spotted the lad from Huddersfield as one of the championship players we might pass on the way up the football league (along with a couple of Rotherham midfielders 👀).
I don’t know much about the J-League, or any of the Asian leagues really, but I’ve always admired the players that have come from that region to do well in European football. There’s often an added commercial element when signing players from say Japan or South Korea with fans from those countries having a good reverence for their compatriots and the clubs they join, could be an added bonus of a talented footballer and increased profile in lucrative markets. 

The past few years European teams are realising how technically good the current generation of Japanese and Korean players are which has been a legacy of the 2002 world cup.

It's also a cheap market to get into. A lot of players usually go to Belgian, Austrian and Dutch teams on loan with a view to buy (£1 mil max) and see if they can handle playing abroad. These European teams can then cash in a year or so later for loads more what they paid.

Mitoma was the first signing by a English team that sort of bypassed Europe where they bought him for £4 mil loaned him to a Belgium club. If they let him get signed by a European team first he'd probably been worth £20 mil.

Cardiff did this in Jan signed a very good centre back Tsunoda and have loaned him out to Belgium.

If definitely a market we should look at.

12 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

We’re so signing oliver rathbone no matter which league we’re in lol

Yep, he’s out of contract in the summer alongside Jamie Lindsay and Hakeem Odoffin, wouldn’t surprise me to see any of them join us, also wouldn’t concern me if it was to bolster the ranks alongside some better options.

On 27/03/2024 at 07:53, Oldben said:

Tanto Olaofe's with 20 goals at Stockport County.

If we are promoted, I'd like to see him on our shopping list.

I really want us to sign this guy. I know naff all about him other than he scores goals and there's a sticker in my local boozers gents that says he's "fast enough to catch a pigeon". 😂

Hear me out

Alex Hartridge is leaving exeter this summer on a free. Has vast experience, young, plays the Hollywood balls that don't come off at exeter as their players arnt on the same page a lot of the time, good with his head, good character, f*** ugly so take a few smashes to his face from time to time. Can play in a back 4 or 3

Would be a solid backup regardless of division. 

3 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Hear me out

Alex Hartridge is leaving exeter this summer on a free. Has vast experience, young, plays the Hollywood balls that don't come off at exeter as their players arnt on the same page a lot of the time, good with his head, good character, f*** ugly so take a few smashes to his face from time to time. Can play in a back 4 or 3

Would be a solid backup regardless of division. 

Never heard of him so I checked out his profile. He’s played plenty of games but nothing above Exeter at league one and league two level (apart from National League South level). As for playing Hollywood balls that don’t come off because the other players aren’t on the same page, that reminds me of when people say “great cross but there was no one in the middle to meet it”. Means it wasn’t a great cross if it was into an area where none of your team mates are.

Might be OK though for all I know. The only time I would have seen him play is if he played against Derby.

38 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Never heard of him so I checked out his profile. He’s played plenty of games but nothing above Exeter at league one and league two level (apart from National League South level). As for playing Hollywood balls that don’t come off because the other players aren’t on the same page, that reminds me of when people say “great cross but there was no one in the middle to meet it”. Means it wasn’t a great cross if it was into an area where none of your team mates are.

Might be OK though for all I know. The only time I would have seen him play is if he played against Derby.

When he keeps it simple he's quality, could easily be a solid backup in the championship. If you look at moxey, Brayford..  had ever played beyond league 1 when they joined and they turned out alright. For a freebie, worth a punt

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yep, he’s out of contract in the summer alongside Jamie Lindsay and Hakeem Odoffin, wouldn’t surprise me to see any of them join us, also wouldn’t concern me if it was to bolster the ranks alongside some better options.

Agree 👍

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Not needed when we have Brown. This guy (27 years old!) has 21 goal contributions in 37 games (just under 0.5 per 90)

Brown has 9 goals and 4 assists in his 19 games, but only 140 mins across his first 9 league games - not far off 1.5 goal contributions per 90 mins!!!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not needed when we have Brown. This guy (27 years old!) has 21 goal contributions in 37 games (just under 0.5 per 90)

Brown has 9 goals and 4 assists in his 19 games, but only 140 mins across his first 9 league games - not far off 1.5 goal contributions per 90 mins!!!

The summer will likely see the non renewal of contracts for Washington, waghorn, gayle. John-jules loan ends.

So a 27 year old player who can give a decent goals return, is something that should interest the manager.

I think Brown might be sent out on loan next season to gain experience at a higher level, especially if we are promoted.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

The summer will likely see the non renewal of contracts for Washington, waghorn, gayle. John-jules loan ends.

So a 27 year old player who can give a decent goals return, is something that should interest the manager.

I think Brown might be sent out on loan next season to gain experience at a higher level, especially if we are promoted.

Washington was given a 2 year deal so will be with us next season.

A 27 year old with a 1 in 3 record at Natuonal League level, and only 1 goal in 31 appearances in L2 (never played higher) is unlikely to be any good for a side challenging for automatics in League 1, nevermind playing in the Championship if we were promoted.

Given Brown is better than Cardwell, and you'd loan Brown out next season, why waste money signing him? 

Watch out for O’Neill, the LW for Leyton Orient today. Saw him play for them against Northampton earlier this season and he ran the show, goal and an assist.

Good at beating the first man and following up with a smart decision, very tidy on the ball and good delivery.

Still only young, worth a look in the summer regardless of division