Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://thefootballleaguestore.com/blogs/news/unraveling-the-key-differences-between-the-championship-league-one-and-league-two

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/how-does-the-style-of-football-change-as-you-journey-down-the-english-football-league/

The Championship features more technically skilled and tactically aware players than League One.

Championship teams have larger budgets, attracting experienced players from higher leagues.

League One relies on developing young talent due to smaller budgets.

The Championship showcases a dynamic, attacking style, while League One emphasizes physicality.

Championship players statistically outperform League One players in passing and shot creation, reflecting a closer quality to Premier League standards.

We've been paying Championship wages to players who were willing to jump down into League One. For reference, our wage bill in 22/23 was £6m higher than Rotherham - 170% We have increased the wage bill this season even further so could already be inline or greater than the likes of Preston (£18.8m). 

I would assume there is going to be even greater investment going into next season, but paying the wages hasn't been the problem. It's been the recruitment and how we have had to recruit. I'm excited (albeit nervous too) to see how the club approach it should we win promotion. 

I think there will be a whole host of changes and I think the club know that which is why they've put the brakes on new contracts for next season. I actually believe they understand the gravity of the task and the standard we will need to be at in order to be competitive. 

Ethan Erhahon from Lincoln looks a good alternative if we can’t get Adams. Another combative, ball-winning midfielder. I’m not sure if he would be out of our price range, he’s only 22 and has had a decent season for them.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We've been paying Championship wages to players who were willing to jump down into League One. For reference, our wage bill in 22/23 was £6m higher than Rotherham - 170% We have increased the wage bill this season even further so could already be inline or greater than the likes of Preston (£18.8m). 

I would assume there is going to be even greater investment going into next season, but paying the wages hasn't been the problem. It's been the recruitment and how we have had to recruit. I'm excited (albeit nervous too) to see how the club approach it should we win promotion. 

I think there will be a whole host of changes and I think the club know that which is why they've put the brakes on new contracts for next season. I actually believe they understand the gravity of the task and the standard we will need to be at in order to be competitive. 

How many of those signings were 30+ and injury prone, were on the subs bench in the teams they came from.

How many did we throw money at to get them to come to us because the players who might have been a better fit would not have come from the championship to league one.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Paris Maghoma on loan from Brentford would be a very good signing. Having seen him a few times now this season he always seems to be Boltons best player & always causing the opposition problems

Bolton fans see him similar to how we see Ebou. They're desperate to keep him.

On 17/04/2024 at 09:02, Oldben said:

https://thefootballleaguestore.com/blogs/news/unraveling-the-key-differences-between-the-championship-league-one-and-league-two

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/how-does-the-style-of-football-change-as-you-journey-down-the-english-football-league/

The Championship features more technically skilled and tactically aware players than League One.

Championship teams have larger budgets, attracting experienced players from higher leagues.

League One relies on developing young talent due to smaller budgets.

The Championship showcases a dynamic, attacking style, while League One emphasizes physicality.

Championship players statistically outperform League One players in passing and shot creation, reflecting a closer quality to Premier League standards.

Tired Back To School GIF by Originals Zzzzzzzzzz

On 17/04/2024 at 09:55, Oldben said:

Point I was attempting to make was that our summer transfer targets need to be a step up from the last two summers.

We will need players either used to playing at a level akin to the championship on a regular basis or capable of playing at that level.

I also intended to look at what it takes to be successful at this level.

In any case the quality and type of player we sign in the summer needs to be of a higher calibre than players aged 30+ and young loan players who take time to adapt to the championship level of play.

No Shit Sherlock GIF by Team Coco

On 17/04/2024 at 09:55, Oldben said:

Point I was attempting to make was that our summer transfer targets need to be a step up from the last two summers.

We will need players either used to playing at a level akin to the championship on a regular basis or capable of playing at that level.

I also intended to look at what it takes to be successful at this level.

In any case the quality and type of player we sign in the summer needs to be of a higher calibre than players aged 30+ and young loan players who take time to adapt to the championship level of play.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/torschuetzenliste/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2023

As can be seen from table none of the top scorers in the championship, with the exception of jamie vardy (37) and Will keane (31)  is over 30 years. 

The derby county top scorers ...

James Collins - 13 goals, age 33

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - 8 goals, age 32

Tom Barkhuizen - 6 goals, age 30

Martyn Waghorn - 6 goals, age 34

Conor Hourihane - 5 goals, age 33

Louie Sibley - 4 goals, age 22

Max Bird - 3 goals, age 23

Craig Forsyth - 3 goals, age 34

Conor Washington - 3 goals, age 31

Dwight Gayle - 3 goals, age 34

In terms of recruitment, i would like to see us sign some strikers under 30.

5 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/torschuetzenliste/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2023

As can be seen from table none of the top scorers in the championship, with the exception of jamie vardy (37) and Will keane (31)  is over 30 years. 

The derby county top scorers ...

James Collins - 13 goals, age 33

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - 8 goals, age 32

Tom Barkhuizen - 6 goals, age 30

Martyn Waghorn - 6 goals, age 34

Conor Hourihane - 5 goals, age 33

Louie Sibley - 4 goals, age 22

Max Bird - 3 goals, age 23

Craig Forsyth - 3 goals, age 34

Conor Washington - 3 goals, age 31

Dwight Gayle - 3 goals, age 34

In terms of recruitment, i would like to see us sign some strikers under 30.

And who are you suggesting we sign? We all know the current playing staff and their ages, who do you suggest in terms of improving that? 

I appreciate age can be a concern for some, for me if the right player is available to improve the squad, whether they’re over or under 30 is immaterial in the short to medium term. A 31 year old centre back could play for another 3/4/5 years without any massive decline in ability. A name you mentioned, Jamie Vardy, he’s 37 years old and in theory will be available on a free (now I’m not saying he’s a realistic signing) but would I take him as an upgrade on Waghorn for example? Absolutely I would. 

11 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

One of my favourite goals, in one of my favourite games. I was right behind it too.

What could have been...

Yep, me too. Watched it in absolute awe. That squad would have been mid table Prem, I'm sure. No Zenit in pre season, no ACL injury for George. Ollie Watkins in as a raw youngster to learn his trade. Couple of young CBs added too. Wisdom and Fozzie holding down those full back slots for years. Maybe it's our time again soon now...

14 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Yep, me too. Watched it in absolute awe. That squad would have been mid table Prem, I'm sure. No Zenit in pre season, no ACL injury for George. Ollie Watkins in as a raw youngster to learn his trade. Couple of young CBs added too. Wisdom and Fozzie holding down those full back slots for years. Maybe it's our time again soon now...

There is no way Forsyth would have made it as a top flight fullback.  Indeed McClaren was desperately trying to sign Francis and Ritchie from Bournemouth to replace him and Russell.  He tried Russell as a makeweight to get it done, which damaged his relationship  with the club and he never really had the same zest.  Forsyth for me was the weakest player in that 13/14 side.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is no way Forsyth would have made it as a top flight fullback.  Indeed McClaren was desperately trying to sign Francis and Ritchie from Bournemouth to replace him and Russell.  He tried Russell as a makeweight to get it done, which damaged his relationship  with the club and he never really had the same zest.  Forsyth for me was the weakest player in that 13/14 side.

I thought so at the time too, and maybe you’re right, but on the other hand I genuinely think he improved since then and could have kicked on in a decent PL team. Lowe and Bogle have both managed to hold down places in Prem sides, and I’m not convinced that either of them has become a better player than CF at any point.

1 minute ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

I thought so at the time too, and maybe you’re right, but on the other hand I genuinely think he improved since then and could have kicked on in a decent PL team. Lowe and Bogle have both managed to hold down places in Prem sides, and I’m not convinced that either of them has become a better player than CF at any point.

I think Lowe was consistently a better defender than Bogle but suffered with injury. Bogle was always better going forward but he made some proper balls up.  Two against Forest and a beauty against Middlesbrough come to mind.  He may have got better but he's had two relegations to his name since he left including this season. The  fact no-ones picked him up on these relegations indicates he's reached a ceiling of championship level defender as he was with us but without the youth element to take a punt on.  Either way, Forsyths done well at this level.  I honestly didn't think he'd play for us again after that Sheff Wed relegation decider where he fell to pieces but he's hit that injury wall now so unlikely he'll be here next season.   

28 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As I heard it, Eddie Howe wanted Johnny, but Mac would only wear it if they let us have one of their lads...could have been Ritchie...but not as a replacement for Foz.

1 minute ago, MaltRam said:

As I heard it, Eddie Howe wanted Johnny, but Mac would only wear it if they let us have one of their lads...could have been Ritchie...but not as a replacement for Foz.

Simon Francis was the replacement but they wouldn't budge.