Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

On 13/03/2024 at 10:47, CWC1983 said:

The comments about Scotland fans signifies which team he really supports. 

I'm stuck onsite with a "big rangers man" at the moment. Most amusing moment was the Asian security guard asking him where he's from, and, if he's russian. Couldn't help himself with the "ah, but your in-laws, are they Celtic or rangers....."

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The perfect revenge on Stephen Mr Gibson Steve......

Boro have a proven Championship player on loan . He has scored in the Prem, the right age and could be bought for around £4 mill. Lewis O’brien is perfect for a passing game , and got Huddersfield into the play off final. Perhaps Florists would let him go if they stay up .

9 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Boro have a proven Championship player on loan . He has scored in the Prem, the right age and could be bought for around £4 mill. Lewis O’brien is perfect for a passing game , and got Huddersfield into the play off final. Perhaps Florists would let him go if they stay up .

If they stay up they'll no doubt be spending the big bucks on brining back Jessie tiktok.

The concern I have is the level of player we would need to attract to the club would have to be substantial. 

We know players like Curtis Nelson, Ebou Adams, Mendez-Laing, who have been incredible for us at this level have all suffered in the Championship. Not to the point where they can't play, albeit Ebou is far from proven at that level, but where their impact is diminished. 

I would say we're very similar to the Sheffield Wednesday side who won promotion last season. Players like Josh Windass, Michael Smith, Barry Bannan, George Byers, Michael Ihiekwe & Will Vaulks all were key players in that side but none of them have managed the step-up with much class. 

Michael Smith had 50 goal contributions in his last two seasons in League One. He has four this season. Josh Windass and Barry Bannan had 39 goal contributions last season in League One - both have contributed to 7 in the Championship. 

If promoted, we would see some of our most assured, consistent performers at this level go back to looking human and become a cause of frustration. Ultimately, I have to have faith that the club know the size of the challenge ahead. It's an incredibly difficult market. 

Still, I feel that we would be in a good position knowing that we are looking at a relatively new blank canvas ahead of next season. I think Portsmouth, who recruited well for League One, but expanded the squad over the past 12 months will find the jump more demanding. 

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The concern I have is the level of player we would need to attract to the club would have to be substantial. 

We know players like Curtis Nelson, Ebou Adams, Mendez-Laing, who have been incredible for us at this level have all suffered in the Championship. Not to the point where they can't play, albeit Ebou is far from proven at that level, but where their impact is diminished. 

I would say we're very similar to the Sheffield Wednesday side who won promotion last season. Players like Josh Windass, Michael Smith, Barry Bannan, George Byers, Michael Ihiekwe & Will Vaulks all were key players in that side but none of them have managed the step-up with much class. 

Michael Smith had 50 goal contributions in his last two seasons in League One. He has four this season. Josh Windass and Barry Bannan had 39 goal contributions last season in League One - both have contributed to 7 in the Championship. 

If promoted, we would see some of our most assured, consistent performers at this level go back to looking human and become a cause of frustration. Ultimately, I have to have faith that the club know the size of the challenge ahead. It's an incredibly difficult market. 

Still, I feel that we would be in a good position knowing that we are looking at a relatively new blank canvas ahead of next season. I think Portsmouth, who recruited well for League One, but expanded the squad over the past 12 months will find the jump more demanding. 

And this is the problem with signed layers aged 29 to 32. Their career trajectory is downhill.

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Windass was never much cop at that level and Bannan was struggling for periods last season and was reaching the end.  Mendez-Laing has always been decent in the championship and got promoted with Cardiff I think.  He'll only have half a season in him though.

34 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Windass was never much cop at that level and Bannan was struggling for periods last season and was reaching the end.  Mendez-Laing has always been decent in the championship and got promoted with Cardiff I think.  He'll only have half a season in him though.

There's always the what are we (well, the manager) asking them to do side with the older players, NML can still do a job in the championship but I'm not sure we could lean on him the same way we have done in league 1.

Genuinely wondering, if we needed 4 strikers in the summer which I think we do if Collins and Gayle don’t get new contracts. 

Would you take Clarke Harris (29) at Derby as a fourth choice striker for a squad option. A big physical presence who bags goals on a free. 

Fell out of favour with Peterborough as he wouldn’t sign a new contract but still has 13 goals and 3 assists in 38 appearances mostly from the bench. 
Averaging a goal every 154 minutes in the league. I’d certainly take him on a 1 year contract with a 1 year option.

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Genuinely wondering, if we needed 4 strikers in the summer which I think we do if Collins and Gayle don’t get new contracts. 

Would you take Clarke Harris (29) at Derby as a fourth choice striker for a squad option. A big physical presence who bags goals on a free. 

Fell out of favour with Peterborough as he wouldn’t sign a new contract but still has 13 goals and 3 assists in 38 appearances mostly from the bench. 
Averaging a goal every 154 minutes in the league. I’d certainly take him on a 1 year contract with a 1 year option.

Not sure , he has never done much in the Champ when played there. Not sure he fits Warne’s pressing game ? 

8 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Brown and Washington are contracted beyond the summer. Anyone we sign for a Championship squad should be better than them, with a view to being starters.

Clarke-Harris has only been good enough to start 14 games for Peterboroughthis season, with only 2 since October. He's also only scored/assisted in 3 games since September.

14 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Not sure , he has never done much in the Champ when played there. Not sure he fits Warne’s pressing game ? 

Has played for Warne before, and scored 12 goals and got 3 assists in the championship 2 seasons ago in 44 games.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brown and Washington are contracted beyond the summer. Anyone we sign for a Championship squad should be better than them, with a view to being starters.

Clarke-Harris has only been good enough to start 14 games for Peterboroughthis season, with only 2 since October. He's also only scored/assisted in 3 games since September.

Would hope we move Washington on and then we need 4 strikers for what Warne wants I reckon. Don’t think he hasn’t been good enough think he’s just been fallen out of favour as the contract problems and nearly leaving to other clubs a couple of times. 

Also he’s played less than 1000 minutes since September and still managed 7 goals and 2 assists in that time. 

I'd be tempted to let Brown go on loan again. See if we can offload Washington and sign up Gayle and Collins for another season.

Get a championship level CF and utilise the likes of NML and CBT too. Then we have plenty of flexibility for a 352, 343 or a 4231.

https://thefootballleaguestore.com/blogs/news/unraveling-the-key-differences-between-the-championship-league-one-and-league-two

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/how-does-the-style-of-football-change-as-you-journey-down-the-english-football-league/

The Championship features more technically skilled and tactically aware players than League One.

Championship teams have larger budgets, attracting experienced players from higher leagues.

League One relies on developing young talent due to smaller budgets.

The Championship showcases a dynamic, attacking style, while League One emphasizes physicality.

Championship players statistically outperform League One players in passing and shot creation, reflecting a closer quality to Premier League standards.

11 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://thefootballleaguestore.com/blogs/news/unraveling-the-key-differences-between-the-championship-league-one-and-league-two

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/how-does-the-style-of-football-change-as-you-journey-down-the-english-football-league/

The Championship features more technically skilled and tactically aware players than League One.

Championship teams have larger budgets, attracting experienced players from higher leagues.

The Championship showcases a dynamic, attacking style, while League One emphasizes physicality.

Championship players statistically outperform League One players in passing and shot creation, reflecting a closer quality to Premier League standards.

And in other news bears sh……

12 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I think the intent of this thread was for people to discuss and suggest players who we could sign to improve the squad, not to suggest how likely we are to fail next season. I thought after last night there’d be more optimism around 😞 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think the intent of this thread was for people to discuss and suggest players who we could sign to improve the squad, not to suggest how likely we are to fail next season. I thought after last night there’d be more optimism around 😞 

I'm optimistic about next season in the Championship. We have the resources in Academy and finance, we have the stadium and training facilities, we will once again have the 'pull' to attract good players. #COYR

33 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Point I was attempting to make was that our summer transfer targets need to be a step up from the last two summers.

We will need players either used to playing at a level akin to the championship on a regular basis or capable of playing at that level.

I also intended to look at what it takes to be successful at this level.

In any case the quality and type of player we sign in the summer needs to be of a higher calibre than players aged 30+ and young loan players who take time to adapt to the championship level of play.