Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

i think most of our players will extend contracts. But i believe due to the age of most of our squad we'll be looking at getting in prime age players to do plenty of running (WARNEBALL) haha.

Then we need some big lump to go uptop to hit the ball at 🤣

I can see the following 

incomings

GK

LB 

CM x2 + Adams

x1 winger

x2 SK

outgoings 

Bird

Hourihane- retired 

wildsmith

Forsyth- retired 

loach - retired 

Barkhuizen 

extended 

sibley 

Thompson 

Collins 

On 31/03/2024 at 08:23, Oldben said:

Colby Bishop, Portsmouth fc, at 27yrs, is a physical, hardworking striker who excels at getting on the end of crosses and causing problems for defenses. Hes got circa 20 goals this season. In my opinion age matters. Here's how we can find similar players:

Key Attributes to Look For:

Physicality: A strong presence in the box, able to hold off defenders and win aerial battles.

Work Rate: Someone who tirelessly presses, tracks back, and puts defenders under pressure.

Poaching: Clinical when chances come inside the penalty area. Good movement to find space.

Link-up Play: While not necessarily a technical dribbler, needs to be able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

I know this was I while back but we were linked with this lad. Seems to have all of those attributes mentioned and is only 22 years of age

1 hour ago, O'hare is the goat said:

I know this was I while back but we were linked with this lad. Seems to have all of those attributes mentioned and is only 22 years of age

Can’t see him leaving Pompey for us.

On 02/04/2024 at 01:16, Carl Sagan said:

I think momentum is so important in football. Last time we crawled out of the third tier under Arthur, we won the league the next season and went straight into the top flight. Look at Ipswich this season, top of League One and full-on competing for promotion, while Wednesday and Argyle didn't maintain their momentum and may very well come back down.

If we go up, and if the mindset is then just to survive for a year, we will likely be relegated.

I agree, momentum is important, but continuing the momentum is going to require significant squad improvement to compete anywhere near the top six in the championship. That will be determined by the available transfer / wages budget, and shrewd recruitment. 

A very realistic signing if we go up and Birmingham go down would be Juninho Bacuna.

hes an amazing box to box central midfielder or a hard working winger and has 7 goals and 6 assists in 39 games for a struggling Birmingham side. 

He’s only 26 so is coming into his prime years and his defensive numbers are just as impressive as his offensive. Wins lots of tackles and wins possession back high up the pitch. 

aswell as that Koji Miyoshi would be a good option from Birmingham also if they were to go down. He is 27 and can play on either wing, he’s got 5 goals and 6 assists in 37 matches but only 24 starts. Another player who can play a variety of positions and roles. 

His contract is also up in 2025 so wouldn’t be overly expensive.

With both players living in the area they could be easy to pick up as we’ve seen with so many of our current squad having come from other midlands clubs. 

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A very realistic signing if we go up and Birmingham go down would be Juninho Bacuna.

hes an amazing box to box central midfielder or a hard working winger and has 7 goals and 6 assists in 39 games for a struggling Birmingham side. 

He’s only 26 so is coming into his prime years and his defensive numbers are just as impressive as his offensive. Wins lots of tackles and wins possession back high up the pitch. 

aswell as that Koji Miyoshi would be a good option from Birmingham also if they were to go down. He is 27 and can play on either wing, he’s got 5 goals and 6 assists in 37 matches but only 24 starts. Another player who can play a variety of positions and roles. 

His contract is also up in 2025 so wouldn’t be overly expensive.

With both players living in the area they could be easy to pick up as we’ve seen with so many of our current squad having come from other midlands clubs. 

Miyoshi seems to have begun to settle playing in England so I expect a big season from him next year. As a J League fan I remember him scoring this cracker to make it 2-1 against Gamba Osaka.

3 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Miyoshi seems to have begun to settle playing in England so I expect a big season from him next year. As a J League fan I remember him scoring this cracker to make it 2-1 against Gamba Osaka.

Do you have a favourite team?

I always keep an eye out for Cerezo Osaka's results, mainly because of their dashing pink kits (Sorry, B4).

Edited by Scott129

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Hmm Big Fish in Small Pond. Too slow for Warne.

Looks tidy enough in this division, but I think you're right. Not sure whether he's quick enough, as I've only seen him a couple of times, but at Championship level I suspect he'd struggle to look so effective.

Edited by Comrade 86
typo

13 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Do you have a favourite team?

I always keep an eye out for Cerezo Osaka's results, mainly because of their dashing pink kits (Sorry, B4).

Yokohama F Marinos is probably my favourite team since under Big Ange they played some of the most entertaining football i've ever seen. If Spurs back him this summer I think they could seriously challenge next year with an aging Man City core and Liverpool without Klopp.

J league has become so much better in quality especially the physicality and the speed of play in the past 5 years or so. It's easy to watch since most of the matches are on Youtube for free if you happen to wake up at 6/7 in the morning on a Saturday/Sunday.

Another Japanese transfer suggestion is Yuta Nakayama at Huddersfield who is on a free in the summer. Did his achilles halfway through last season and been a victim of 7 managers at Huddersfield since he signed so not had the best of experiences but is an International player when fit and ready.

Very similar to Forsyth who was originally a Left Mid before transitioning to Left Back/Centre back and could replace Fozzy should he be gone in the summer. Yuta could play Left of the 3 or even left wing back in Warnes preferred 3-5-2.