Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

40 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Think the defence is good enough as it is.  I must be watching a different team to some of you as Sibley has been as good as Wilson on the other side and better than Elder - no way should we be spending the budget replacing him when without doubt he'd sign a new contract. 

If signing Adams was my #1 priority then re-signing Sibley, Thompson and Wildsmith wouldn’t be far behind. I’d also be looking at extending Nelson’s deal.

Hourihane is a cert to leave, as well as Waggy and Gayle. Fornah and Fozzy likely too.

Barks and Collins I’d look to retain as well.

Thinking we won't be in a position to pay fees or have to, and we plan for one season at a time, no more than two-year deals. Strikers: Danny Welbeck, Jay Rodriguiz, Chris Wood or Oli McBurnie could be possibilities. Matt Ritchie, Seamus Coleman, Jack Cork, Ryan Fredericks, Ben Mee, Aaron Cresswell all of these are out of contract from PL teams and may be within our reach at a pinch. Obviously Will Hughes but he will be snapped up. Next division strikers: Kelechi Iheanacho, Aaron Connolly, Sam Gallagher, Jamie Vardy, Scott Hogan, Tyrese Campbell, Lukas Jutkiewicz, then Alex Mowatt, Jaydon Bogle, Stuart Armstrong, Axel Tuanzebe, Adama Traoré, Chris Willock, George Saville, Bradley Dack, Sam Morsy, Josh Windass. Not forgetting Ben Gibson, that would be funny. Players that impressed: Harrison Burrows, Jonson Clarke-Harris, Devante Cole, Liam Moore, James Husband, Shaun Rooney, Femi Azeez. Some from abroad. Some top loans. Spoilt for choice. 

And will David Clowes be actively looking to sell the club? Would Mike Ashley be wanting to come back in? Is there a deal to be had with naming rights for the stadium, and can we get a big deal for shirt sponsorship? 

2 hours ago, Macintosh said:

Thinking we won't be in a position to pay fees or have to, and we plan for one season at a time, no more than two-year deals. Strikers: Danny Welbeck, Jay Rodriguiz, Chris Wood or Oli McBurnie could be possibilities. Matt Ritchie, Seamus Coleman, Jack Cork, Ryan Fredericks, Ben Mee, Aaron Cresswell all of these are out of contract from PL teams and may be within our reach at a pinch. Obviously Will Hughes but he will be snapped up. Next division strikers: Kelechi Iheanacho, Aaron Connolly, Sam Gallagher, Jamie Vardy, Scott Hogan, Tyrese Campbell, Lukas Jutkiewicz, then Alex Mowatt, Jaydon Bogle, Stuart Armstrong, Axel Tuanzebe, Adama Traoré, Chris Willock, George Saville, Bradley Dack, Sam Morsy, Josh Windass. Not forgetting Ben Gibson, that would be funny. Players that impressed: Harrison Burrows, Jonson Clarke-Harris, Devante Cole, Liam Moore, James Husband, Shaun Rooney, Femi Azeez. Some from abroad. Some top loans. Spoilt for choice. 

And will David Clowes be actively looking to sell the club? Would Mike Ashley be wanting to come back in? Is there a deal to be had with naming rights for the stadium, and can we get a big deal for shirt sponsorship? 

I was having a good weekend until you mentioned Mike Ashley 😎

I think and hope not. 

Obviously very, very early days but I had a quick look at the initial odds on SkyBet for next season for all the teams that are 100% in the Championship next season.

There’s no market for relegation yet, but there’s 5 teams “less likely” than us to go up so far. If we can get some good business done early I don’t see why we can’t be comfortably mid-table next year.

2 hours ago, Macintosh said:

No, no, no, no, no.

I don't like Warne's football, but I do like how he goes about his transfers. And I'd like to think all those ageing players on expensive wages, and no motivation to play for Derby, aren't on any list we compile. Obviously there is the exceptions in that list, like Burrows etc.

Sign Ebou, extend Sibley and Thompsons deals and then start targetting hungry players on low wages.

34 minutes ago, Norman said:

No, no, no, no, no.

I don't like Warne's football, but I do like how he goes about his transfers. And I'd like to think all those ageing players on expensive wages, and no motivation to play for Derby, aren't on any list we compile. Obviously there is the exceptions in that list, like Burrows etc.

Sign Ebou, extend Sibley and Thompsons deals and then start targetting hungry players on low wages.

It’s finding gems like Wilson. I am happy for us to keep some old stagers, Barks still has some pace, Collo may end up being a back up striker and Fozzy can stand in anywhere for another season. That said we need legs, skill, hunger, youth but importantly it’s the character that PW so rightly wants. 

I wonder how it will pan out, can we get another great loanee ? So much is possible now, Derby has to be a draw with scenes like yesterday. 🐏 I am going to enjoy the transfer gossip over the next few weeks. It’s an adventure now, rather than the desperation it has seemed like for the last I don’t know how long 

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Not at 34 and a division above. No time for sentiment this summer. 

This is the thing ! It’s tough choices and pragmatism. We will need a new striker with real teeth, pace or some special ability but maybe Collo has another season in him as a back up ? He’s been a stalwart trooper and delivered in spades. He doesn’t frighten opponents, can’t beat a man, but he has a deftness that some don’t see, excellent positional sense and knows where the posts are. So tough for the recruitment and contract people and for the players themselves. 

12 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Not at 34 and a division above. No time for sentiment this summer. 

Ok, forget sentiment for a minute, how about room for a robust and industrious option who looks after himself physically, sets and maintains standards, and showed this season by scoring 19 goals (14 in the league) and 3 assists (2 in the league) that he’s still a good finisher from open play, set pieces and the penalty spot. His game has never been about pace, but he’s shown this season how hard working he is for the team, I think he’d be a good option for one more season.

Collins and Washington as options 3 and 4 up front alongside two new younger options makes a lot of sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Norman said:

No, no, no, no, no.

I think youth and agility will be the way forward now we can afford it.

Edited by VulcanRam

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ok, forget sentiment for a minute, how about room for a robust and industrious option who looks after himself physically, sets and maintains standards, and showed this season by scoring 19 goals (14 in the league) and 3 assists (2 in the league) that he’s still a good finisher from open play, set pieces and the penalty spot. His game has never been about pace, but he’s shown this season how hard working he is for the team, I think he’d be a good option for one more season.

Collins and Washington as options 3 and 4 up front alongside two new younger options makes a lot of sense to me. 

Wash, what little we have seen of him, is one of those bustling forward players that unsettle defences struggling to maintain shape. Assuming he can be fit and strong you wouldn’t want to be harried by him in the last 15 minutes of a game.

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Wash, what little we have seen of him, is one of those bustling forward players that unsettle defences struggling to maintain shape. Assuming he can be fit and strong you wouldn’t want to be harried by him in the last 15 minutes of a game.

Just makes sense to me. Keep them two around, put effort into securing 2 younger, pacier, mobile options giving us 2 x “new”, Collins and Washington for the season, allowing Brown to go on loan and develop further then he comes back to be a first teamer the following season when we wave goodbye to Collins and Wash and sign A.N.Other younger striker. 
There’s a need for good recruitment this summer and I think some continuity of the team spirit, standards and culture, Collins is a big part of that from what I can see. 

He's earned another year, but I think Warne will be honest with him and it'll come down to whether Collo accepts that he won't be guaranteed starts the way he has been in L1. The club will have been looking at how to strengthen the attack all season and for all that I love Collo to bits and fully acknowledge the hugely significant part he's played in getting us promoted, it seems unlikely he'd be a regular starter in a Championship side, at this point in his career. Can never really write the lad off though, can you and if he left I'd see him as more likely going to a top 6 side in L1 where he's guaranteed to get all the games his legs can handle. Whatever he decides, he does so with my heartfelt gratitude though. Absolute Trojan IMO.

Edited by Comrade 86

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He’s simply not the standard of player Derby County should be keeping hold of this summer! 

It’s a great opportunity this window to lower the age profile of the squad as we have a large amount of “senior” players in their last year. Let’s build something that will take us up the championship and not hand out contracts to older players because they made it over the line. 

A Championship offence with Collins and Washington won’t stay in the championship for long that’s for sure!