Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

Christian Walton GK IpswichΒ 

Harrison Burrows LB PeterboroughΒ 

Josh Knight CB PeterboroughΒ 

Nathaniel Chalobah DM WBAΒ 

Joe Morrell? DM PortsmouthΒ 

Jodi Jones RW Notts County (contract up June 2025)

Chris Willock LW QPR

Davis Keillor-Dunn AM Mansfield (contract up June 2025)

Jonson Clarke-Harris - needs no intro

Shorrock & Dipepa from Port Vale, good young attackers, bags of potential.

Max Lowe, Jayden Bogle.............?

There are tons of young Prem players due to be released, but I suspect Warne wants more experience for the first team.Β 

A big squad is vital, and the Championship bottom six teams are full of old duffers, if that's any indication of what we should be aiming for.Β 

Hourihane, Waghorn, Washington, Bradley, Elder out. Collins, Smith, Barks, and Fozzy I'm in two minds about. too much change can break up what's been built.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Gabby'sThighs

Realistically, about 80% of our summer signings will cover only two positions - CM & ST.Β 

I suspect with promotion we make roughly 12-14 signings just looking at the squad, you're potentially looking at:Β 

4 or 5 signings not in these positions - GK (maybe 2 depending on Wildsmith), left back, centre back & wide midfielder.

You're then looking at least 7 potentially up to 9 players who play CM & ST.

If we nail the recruitment in that area then it will make a big difference, not to paraphrase the Roses but until Ebou I was never happy. Bird, gone, Hourihane, retired, Smith & Thompson, out of contract. Ebou, back to Cardiff. Ignoring we had Embleton for this position, albeit not really and Sibley (also out of contract) who hasn't really played here anyway under Warne. There are 5 (7) players who play in this position potentially out the door this summer.Β 

Similarly upfront: Gayle, Waghorn & Collins out of contract. TJJ out of contract, no deal lined up. It leaves Washington who has struggled to hold down a place in League One, blighted by injuries.Β 

The players leaving in those positions, I would argue need to be improved up - particularly upfront. Gayle speed of thought was nice in League One, but he's struggled in the Championship of late. Collins and Waghorn (for me) are done at being impactful players at that level.

The rebuild is huge, but ultimately focused in two key areas that will determine our relative success.Β 

On 23/04/2024 at 07:37, Dartmouth Ram said:

Harrison Burrows contract is up at Peterborough at the end of the season. Would take him in a heartbeat, superb LWB.

There will be a huge queue for him - a very good player.Β 

An interesting few weeks ahead to say the least. For the first time in a long while we will be able compete without the shackles of an EFL business plan and it'll be interesting to see who we are looking at. Presumably there will still be two lists, one for L1 and one not. My hunch is that we'll see the profile begin to change and perhaps some younger players with potential, rather than older players with proven pedigree.

I do agree with some of the posts on here pointing out that there's some very good young players in L1 and perhaps we might see fit to five a few a go at a higher level, assuming all goes well on Saturday. Some who have caught my eye in recent weeks include Chris Forino at Wycombe, Paris Maghoma at Bolton, the aforementioned Harrison Burrows at Posh andΒ Karamoko DembΓ©lΓ© at Blackpool, though I'd love to see us spreading the net and brining in two or three from foreign leagues, where I'm sure there must be some good value for money to be had.

Edited by Comrade 86

Is Ashley Barnes out of contract ?.Β  He'd do a good job for a year if so.Β  Works like a trojan and is worth 10 goals.Β 

Callum O' Hare out of contract.Β  He was excellent prior to his ACL.Β  Bit of a risk but if he can find similar form, would be a great player.Β Β 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

Over the past 10 seasons, the average points total required for survival in the Championship is around 44 points. Reaching 44 or more points typically gives teams a 98% chance of avoiding relegation.

Tactical Approach

Adapting from the style that earned promotion to a more pragmatic, counter-attacking approach may be necessary in the first season.

Adjusting training and tactics early to the new style is important.

Being willing to "throw" certain games to keep the squad fresh for more winnable matches can also help.

Attacking Output

Scoring an average of 1 goal per game is a good target for survival. A primary goalscorer is required. A player capable of scoring at least 14 goals at championship level.

Being pragmatic and playing a balanced mix of patient build-up and directness appears to be the most effective approach, rather than an all-out attacking style.

Defensive Solidity

Conceding no more than 61 goals across the season is important for relegation battlers. Ideally, teams want to concede fewer than 50 goals.

Having a strong, experienced goalkeeper is crucial.

Squad Composition

Retaining core players from the promotion-winning squad and making smart signings can boost a team's chances.

Developing youth talent and giving them opportunities can also be beneficial.

Β 

Β 

Β 

12 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

An interesting few weeks ahead to say the least. For the first time in a long while we will be able compete without the shackles of an EFL business plan and it'll be interesting to see who we are looking at. Presumably there will still be two lists, one for L1 and one not. My hunch is that we'll see the profile begin to change and perhaps some younger players with potential, rather than older players with proven pedigree.

I do agree with some of the posts on here pointing out that there's some very good young players in L1 and perhaps we might see fit to five a few a go at a higher level, assuming all goes well on Saturday. Some who have caught my eye in recent weeks include Chris Forino at Wycombe, Paris Maghoma at Bolton, the aforementioned Harrison Burrows at Posh andΒ Karamoko DembΓ©lΓ© at Blackpool, though I'd love to see us spreading the net and brining in two or three from foreign leagues, where I'm sure there must be some good value for money to be had.

Good shout on Forino, impressed me when we played them at their place

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Good shout on Forino, impressed me when we played them at their place

Impressive that they picked him up from Loughborough Uni. Given the location you would hope our scouts are keeping an eye out for similar future pickups. It would be nice to see us gamble on some non-leauge talents rather than having to spend big after they've already made it. It won't always work out but an option worth pursuingΒ 

As previously said, the midfield will need rebuilding as a priority.

It’ll be interesting to see how we approach it. Will we offer Smith a new deal given recent form? Will we offer new deals to Sibley, Thompson and Robinson? Will we integrate Allen and Fapetu into the first team? Will we have significant funds to invest?

Until we know that, it’s hard to know what steps we will take and what’s achievable.

However it wouldn’t surprise me to see us push for Adams on a permanent deal and sign someone such as Matthew James or Romaine Sawyers on a free to give us some control and balance in midfield.

I think League 1 will be a difficult market for us to shop in.

There are players impressing in this league currently (such as Maghoma at Bolton and DembΓ©lΓ© at Blackpool) who are only on loan and we’ll be competing with other Championship clubs for further loan moves if they become available.Β 

Then there are players at clubs who have been competing for promotion, players who have established themselves as top players at League 1 level but not yet proven themselves in the Championship.

Brannagan is one name that has cropped up a lot. If we were interested in such a player, surely Oxford would want serious money for him? Β£1 million, maybe more? Can we afford that?

Azeez is another one. He’s seemingly out of contract in the summer with Reading. But how much compensation would that require?

I think we will have to get creative.

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Is Ashley Barnes out of contract ?.Β  He'd do a good job for a year if so.Β  Works like a trojan and is worth 10 goals.Β 

Callum O' Hare out of contract.Β  He was excellent prior to his ACL.Β  Bit of a risk but if he can find similar form, would be a great player.Β Β 

Spoke to a Cov fan earlier who goes home and away. Says O'Hare is their standout player.

Don't think we stand a chance therefore. We're not big enough or splashing the cash to be shipping around for that kind of player yet.

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Spoke to a Cov fan earlier who goes home and away. Says O'Hare is their standout player.

Don't think we stand a chance therefore. We're not big enough or splashing the cash to be shipping around for that kind of player yet.

He's out of contract in the June and hasn't signed a new one.Β  Could well be another club has shown interest in the premier bottom block or parachute payment rich championship , or maybe they haven't and he's open to offers.Β  How good are we at convincing.Β  Never thought we'd get Eranio and the like over a new Milan, Munich, Porto or PSG deal.Β  Or the Croatian captain to play Tranmere when we were 6th from bottom.Β  That was a different level.Β Β 

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's out of contract in the June and hasn't signed a new one.Β  Could well be another club has shown interest in the premier bottom block or parachute payment rich championship , or maybe they haven't and he's open to offers.Β  How good are we at convincing.Β  Never thought we'd get Eranio and the like over a new Milan, Munich, Porto or PSG deal.Β  Or the Croatian captain to play Tranmere when we were 6th from bottom.Β  That was a different level.Β Β 

Listening to the most recent Cov game the commo suggested he hadn't signed because he was hoping for a Prem deal.