Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Little material change at the very top, save for our further improved GD. In any case, it was nice to see us score some goals tonight and while the way we set up did not quite yield the fireworks I was hoping for, I thought we were clinical and for the most part, quite controlled.

What does seem significant, with the top 3 all winning, is that the gap to those below is slowly growing and perhaps we're seeing the league paired down to just 3 real autos candidates. Folk will continue to pour scorn, but I still reckon we can do this though the next 3 games will IMO prove critical.

image.thumb.png.0de7f4bafe53bd6612766063776c563f.png

And we've still got to play Bolton at home, and Portsmouth away. Two absolutely massive games.

Exeter form team in the league recently beaten Barnsley and Posh. Not only beaten, but swept aside. This is a statement performance. How can you not get behind Warne and the team after this. Yes we need to follow up with a win against Stevenage but most of the people I was debating with on Sunday didn’t think we had that performance in us. We are right in this!! 

Some excellent performances, adams is an excellent signing, max was outstanding tonight, Mendez ruthless and Collo a war horse who got kicked from pillar to post but led the line brilliantly. CBT clearly not right yet and struggling with niggles but if the affect of having him means Barkhuizen performs like that then that’s a win also. That 45 from Barks was the best I’ve seen him play. Brilliant!! 

The doubters even need to give Warne the credit he deserves tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Excellent result. Congrats to the manager and players. There is a bit of a top three breakaway - we're still significantly behind when you look at Bolton's games in hand, but if we can catch the other two our goal difference might even end up as a telling factor. Fourteen games to go, at least ten more wins needed. Come on you Rams!

Win our game in hand over Pompey then our away match at Fratton Park could be crucial - let's hope Portsmouth are the fools on the day!

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think that game at Barnsley away is going to be a real toughie. It would be amazing if we can come out of that with 3 points, but I'd take a point now provided we can beat Stevenage. 

With no particularly plausible reasoning, I'm more concerned about Stevenage. We have Ebou now, but Stevenage are the 'big nasty' of League 1 IMO and we'll need to front up which we absolutely didn't last time we met them. Of course Barnsley will be tough too, but I feel like we can beat them, though it's more of a hunch than any real insight. Charlton are also better than they showed, so none of the games feel like gimmes, but that's this league in a way. It'll be a grind all the way to the line now, much as it wish it weren't the case so if we can avoid losing any of the three that'd be a start. I can honestly see us drawing the homes games and beating Barnsley at their gaff.

13 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

And we've still got to play Bolton at home, and Portsmouth away. Two absolutely massive games.

I tend to look at it as they both have to play us. Those are opportunities for us to put a gap on them IMO. I only mentioned the others in reference to it being a tough end to the month, not them being the only obstacles. In any case, I've said all season that I don't believe we should fear anyone and that's still the case now.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Exeter are the better side here. They play some nice stuff.

Yeah the better side if the idea of the game was about pointless passing, which some people seem to think it is.

The better side scored 3 goals and conceded 0 as us old fashioned people still believe is the idea of the game.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby’s game plan of score more than the opposition is working a treat.

Cant see that sort of plan catching on.

More crucial passes and xG is a much better plan.

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Exeter form team in the league recently beaten Barnsley and Posh. Not only beaten, but swept aside. This is a statement performance. How can you not get behind Warne and the team after this. Yes we need to follow up with a win against Stevenage but most of the people I was debating with on Sunday didn’t think we had that performance in us. We are right in this!! 

Some excellent performances, adams is an excellent signing, max was outstanding tonight, Mendez ruthless and Collo a war horse who got kicked from pillar to post but led the line brilliantly. CBT clearly not right yet and struggling with niggles but if the affect of having him means Barkhuizen performs like that then that’s a win also. That 45 from Barks was the best I’ve seen him play. Brilliant!! 

The doubters even need to give Warne the credit he deserves tonight. 

Yet again, we've been fortunate to catch a form team on an off day. 😉

21 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the Exeter forum.

I'm normally annoyed when we lose or get hammered but not today. Derby are a level above. They'll do really well next year in the championship. We just cannot compete. I assume players like Hourihane will be on more £ a week than our entire squad put together.

.Hustling Get That Money GIF

Not sure this ones that accurate

We've been excellent. The difference between mid table and top of the league. Crappy individual errors. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

How anyone was questioning Bird’s ability and/or contribution is beyond me. Such a shame he’s moving on, whatever the reasons may be 

Makes you wonder if he reads forums or hears some of the stuff from the stands regards how crap and massively overrated he is rather than wanting away from warnes style of play and man management 👍