Anything positive to take from yesterday moving forwards?

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm just trying to find out if you are enjoying the matches? If you would rather not say that's fine. I have no hidden agenda.ย 

As progression I remember a number of posters on here calling us flat track bullies last season as we would roll over weaker teams at home but lose against better ones.

This season that accusation has died off probably due to the fact that we are beating the better teams both home and away and in fact our away record is very, very good which again demonstrates some enhanced mental fortitude within the team but definitely not luck.ย 

We won nothing under McClaren but played the best football I can remember. We're in League 1 so if the football is pragmatic at times then so be it. Am sure the same detractors would complain if we were playing free flowing football but were midtable. That's life.ย 

Just now, gfs1ram said:

Another positive from yesterday was the added entertainment !!

No sadly I do not mean the football, but the WWE style multiple grappling and head locks seen at every corner.

I think yesterday was the 'best' we have seen yet and totally unpunished !!

Yep even when the ref was specifically and obviously watching it. Their two players reinforced the stereotype of a league 1 defender making it even more annoying that one of them could possibly score

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As progression I remember a number of posters on here calling us flat track bullies last season as we would roll over weaker teams at home but lose against better ones.

This season that accusation has died off probably due to the fact that we are beating the better teams both home and away and in fact our away record is very, very good which again demonstrates some enhanced mental fortitude within the team but definitely not luck.ย 

We won nothing under McClaren but played the best football I can remember. We're in League 1 so if the football is pragmatic at times then so be it. Am sure the same detractors would complain if we were playing free flowing football but were midtable. That's life.ย 

So you are enjoying it....... I think?ย 

Hopefully we never fall asleep at late throws by the opposition. We get the injured players back. We stop letting the oppo "get into us..." and we remember that it's also permissible to attack through the middle and stop being so predictable down the wings. We stop pussy footing around at the back. So often we played passes among the back line that so nearly went to an opponent. Unnecessarily risky, IMO.

2nd time we've struggled this season against the Shrews "in your face" tactics. We'll get more of the same next weekend against Stevenage. Didn't deal with it there, I just hope we do come Saturday as I'm over for that game.

37 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Yes, thatโ€™s how it works, sorry to disappoint.

ย 

36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As long as you are enjoying yourself Tyler, thatโ€™s all that mattersโ€ฆ.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I'd add that I saw plenty of games like yesterday last time we were promoted (narrowly) from the third tier - and that team had Gregory, Davison, Hindmarch, Micklewhite and Williams, who equally struggled to overcome an obdurate away team that, on paper, weren't fit to lace our boots.ย 

The only teams in the top 7 who got the result they needed were Pompey and Barnsley, both by narrow margins . That's how the run in is going to be, so those of a wishy-washy disposition had best get used to it.

For reference, 7 draws and 3 defeats at home that season. Most of the draws were 1-1.

I'll expand on my 'no' comment.

There were positives yesterday, but nothing new to take from the day.

Adams, for instance, was aggressive and looks a solid addition...but we thought that after Charlton anyway.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

We were second in the table before the start of the game, we were second in the table after the game, if we are second in the table at the end of the season we are promoted.

The only bit of that which is good will be if we are second in the table at the end of the season. We had an easy game yesterday. We got a point. Bolton had a tricky away game, and played a lot of it with 10 men. They got a point. It was a better day for Pompey and Bolton than it was us yesterday.

Edited by i-Ram

I find the vitriol against Paul Warne, and the general toxicity among a vocal minority here pretty disappointing. We are in second place! Performances have been variable to say the least, but we have scraped out some results, and nobody can expect us to win every game. The late equaliser yesterday was very disappointing, but that's football, and it happens in every division every week.

We have made the team better by signing Adams, we have CBT to get going, and we have a solid back line with options when injury and suspension strikes. We also have some attacking flair, which perhaps could be doing more.

Teams like Shrewsbury are always going to come to Pride Park looking to stop us playing and claw out a point. So really we just need to be more clinical and sort these teams out. Hopefully the addition of Adams will help.ย 

Looking forward to tuesday and hopefully 3 points, plus if we win on saturday lets see what the table looks like. We need to get behind the team, stop the moaning and the boo boys can go elsewhere please. Football in League one is not pretty and it never will be.

Sonny didnโ€™t do as much arm waving as usual. Seriously we have signed a monster of a CDM and we are still setting up with 5 at the back. Adams a huge positive and hope CBT plays a big part between now and the end of the season. Warne is treating him like a fine Ming vase at present though, scared of breaking him.

Massive positive for me...

Oldish bloke sat immediately behind me for years, season after season, game after game... up until covid/shutdown.
Always used to natter, and share a pre-kick off handshake.ย  (He also saw Muckerette as a lucky mascot, as she had a good run of results when she attended.)

No sign of him on our return to the games post covid, or since, and it goes without saying, "I feared the worst".

... until yesterday, when he came almost bounding up the stairs, looking fit and well, strong enough for a quick handshake, a smiley exchange of "Good to see you buddy", and continuing his trek higher up towards the back.

No idea whether this was a one off, or whether he's continued with his ST.
Now, I appreciate he could have spent post-covid deliberately avoiding me.ย  Maybe used that as a perfect excuse for changing ST seats.ย  Who knows... and who cares.

The f***** is alive and well, and seeing him, even for 7 seconds, left me feeling a little warm and fuzzy inside.
The game didn't spoil my mood, as I'm a massive fan of trying to keep events in perspective!

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿป๐Ÿ