Anything positive to take from yesterday moving forwards?

3 hours ago, MaltRam said:

I'll expand on my 'no' comment.

There were positives yesterday, but nothing new to take from the day.

Adams, for instance, was aggressive and looks a solid addition...but we thought that after Charlton anyway.

But that is something new isn’t it?

He’s played well in a home game in front of a large crowd.

He’s played well for a second game as opposed to being the second coming of Bob Malcolm who looked world class on his debut and … not quite world class thereafter.

We confirmed that he’s still not match fit for 90 minutes so we need a plan for that.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

We had an easy game yesterday.

I don't want to place blame on the players here as they get told what to do by the script written by Warne, he's 100% at fault, I do wonder though if the players shared this mindset that yesterday was going to be easy, could that have played a minor part in some way as daft as it may sound?

For me, going into any game believing it will be easy is not the right mindset to have, we should approach every game the same, in that it will be difficult. The opposition will not roll over for us and allow us to tickle their bellies. 

Looking at Shrewsbury, Port Vale are just 3 points behind them in the bottom 4 with 2 games in hand, they have a lot to battle for like us and battle they did. Some of those players will have been fighting for their careers at this level, the financial rewards for remaining in this league. 

Looking across the forum, I can only assume you're not alone in thinking it would be easy, thinking Shrewsbury would come here and somehow just accept relegation. 

Anyhow, on we go to the next difficult game. 

41 minutes ago, David said:

I don't want to place blame on the players here as they get told what to do by the script written by Warne, he's 100% at fault, I do wonder though if the players shared this mindset that yesterday was going to be easy, could that have played a minor part in some way as daft as it may sound?

For me, going into any game believing it will be easy is not the right mindset to have, we should approach every game the same, in that it will be difficult. The opposition will not roll over for us and allow us to tickle their bellies. 

Looking at Shrewsbury, Port Vale are just 3 points behind them in the bottom 4 with 2 games in hand, they have a lot to battle for like us and battle they did. Some of those players will have been fighting for their careers at this level, the financial rewards for remaining in this league. 

Looking across the forum, I can only assume you're not alone in thinking it would be easy, thinking Shrewsbury would come here and somehow just accept relegation. 

Anyhow, on we go to the next difficult game. 

You are taking a quote after stripping most of the context away (I was challenging Foreveram who seemed happy with a point because there was no movement in our league position).  You can never guarantee any result in football but there are games which should be easy compared with others. Yesterday was a game I would call easy. 15 away games this season, and the Shrews had won 3, drawn 2, scoring a magnificent 6 goals on their travels. We should have been at them from the start, but no Warne picks a team with 3 central defenders, and only two forwards. And we decide pre-match to telegraph to the other side we are not going to take them on in midfield. Bonkers. I agree that the next match is a difficult game.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We picked up a point and 2 better goal difference on Peterborough. 

A team that was promoted in September (Oxford) failed to win. 

And 2 teams promoted in January (Peterborough and Bolton) failed to win. 

Adams is looking like a decent addition.

Cashin will be back soon

Washington will be back soon.

We have yet to unleash CBT.

The fact we haven't yet unleashed CBT is surely a negative? Only a moron wouldn't have unleashed him yesterday.

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I see we're second in the table. I know this as I've just been on the BBC Sports website to make sure of this so it's a fact rather than opinion.

I don't believe (which IS my opinion) that we've got to this point by fluking a whole run of results so this is something that Warne is doing right. 

It also is heartening that we can still be hyper critical of yesterday's substitutions etc when we still are second in the league.

That's the best post I've seen written by you. Have a gold star.

Gold Star GIF by Christine Gritmon

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You are taking a quote after stripping most of the context away (I was challenging Foreveram who seemed happy with a point because there was no movement in our league position).  You can never guarantee any result in football but there are games which should be easy compared with others. Yesterday was a game I would call easy. 15 away games this season, and the Shrews had won 3, drawn 2, scoring a magnificent 6 goals on their travels. We should have been at them from the start, but no Warne picks a team with 3 central defenders, and only two forwards. And we decide pre-match to telegraph to the other side we are not going to take them on in midfield. Bonkers. I agree that the next match is a difficult game.

The topic is positives taken from yesterday, which in fairness it is a positive that others didn’t take advantage of us only drawing.

You could argue it’s a negative not taking advantage and sticking 3 points in Warne’s backpack, which would also be fair. 

Disappointment sums up yesterday for myself. Not angry like others appear to be (not yourself). 

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Nothing to do with Wilson then

Wilson didn't pick the wrong starting line up, Warne did. 

Wilson didn't make the ridiculous decision to take Nyambe off, Warne did. (Nothing about his body language suggested he couldn't have lasted the last 5 mins).

And, and I accept I may be alone in this, it wasn't Wilson's decision to sit back and try to defend for 25 minutes having gone a goal ahead against team whose away record is extremely poor and leave CBT on the bench when we were crying out for some spark. 

It was however, Wilson who let his man go. So that's 3-1. 

I'm with @DavesaRam on this. It was poor management yesterday.

Anyway, this thread is for positives. It was a better performance than against Cheltenham. South stand was noiser. Adams is great. Bird has turned up since Adams did. It wasn't so cold. I got home about 10 mins earlier than usual as the traffic didn't seem as bad as it can be. The ref was excellent for the first 15 seconds.  

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Wilson didn't pick the wrong starting line up, Warne did. 

Wilson didn't make the ridiculous decision to take Nyambe off, Warne did. (Nothing about his body language suggested he couldn't have lasted the last 5 mins).

And, and I accept I may be alone in this, it wasn't Wilson's decision to sit back and try to defend for 25 minutes having gone a goal ahead against team whose away record is extremely poor and leave CBT on the bench when we were crying out for some spark. 

It was however, Wilson who let his man go. So that's 3-1. 

I'm with @DavesaRam on this. It was poor management yesterday.

Anyway, this thread is for positives. It was a better performance than against Cheltenham. South stand was noiser. Adams is great. Bird has turned up since Adams did. It wasn't so cold. I got home about 10 mins earlier than usual as the traffic didn't seem as bad as it can be. The ref was excellent for the first 15 seconds.  

Nyambe was injured wasn’t he?

6 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Nyambe was injured wasn’t he?

Warne said he had a bit of pain on his knee. He didn't look uncomfortable, hadn't gone down and the reaction from the crowd was very surprised when his number went up.

I accept of course Warne and co know more about this than me, but you have to question whether he could have seen the game out at 1-0 having been so dominant against their front line. 2 or 3 up, yes take him off, but at this stage we were sitting back protecting a one goal lead. We needed him on. I will happily apologise if he genuinely couldn't continue.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I didn’t say I was happy with a point, my point was that we didn’t change our position and if we maintain that position we are promoted.

Most people would have been happy with 4 points from 2 games, so we have to look to win the next one, and then home to Stevenage,  simples.

19 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Most people would have been happy with 4 points from 2 games,

I don't think most people serious about mounting a bid for automatic promotion are happy (nor should they be) with any dropped points.

Whether they accept the situation or not is a different matter.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

19 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I don't think most people serious about mounting a bid for automatic promotion are happy (nor should they be) with any dropped points.

Whether they accept the situation or not is a different matter.

92 points will almost always get you promoted.

11 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Wasn't there so can't comment but from the face if it, the match sounded dire and we failed to kill off a bang average side.

We really need to turn in a good dominating performance, something we've not seen since Oxford.

Tactically though we are questionable.

In terms of a positive it can only be that we have a rock in the middle who is key to the outcome in May. Hopefully we can get CBT moving 

I always try to think of our players developing from the Academy on first team duty but that never happens in recent times 

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Positive #1. 2nd in the League 

Positive #2. I have been too busy to come on here since last night and get irritated by the bed wetting posting minority who want us to be Ipswich re-born and anything less is not good enough.

Am I allowed to want us to be better than Ipswich? It's just the Mrs will be furious if that means I'll start wetting the bed.