Anything positive to take from yesterday moving forwards?

14 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Warne said he had a bit of pain on his knee. He didn't look uncomfortable, hadn't gone down and the reaction from the crowd was very surprised when his number went up.

I accept of course Warne and co know more about this than me, but you have to question whether he could have seen the game out at 1-0 having been so dominant against their front line. 2 or 3 up, yes take him off, but at this stage we were sitting back protecting a one goal lead. We needed him on. I will happily apologise if he genuinely couldn't continue.

Nyambe spent 2 minutes on the deck being treated by the physio, after a full blooded tackle which put considerable lateral pressure on his right knee. I was surprised he was deemed OK to continue, but clearly he was still feeling it. So we lost him for 5 minutes of normal time, and lost two points, instead of perhaps losing him for a few games if he'd further aggravated his knee. 

Keeping an injured player on the field is a big risk for the player concerned and criticising Warne for looking after the welfare of his players is obtuse.

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Nyambe spent 2 minutes on the deck being treated by the physio, after a full blooded tackle which put considerable lateral pressure on his right knee. I was surprised he was deemed OK to continue, but clearly he was still feeling it. So we lost him for 5 minutes of normal time, and lost two points, instead of perhaps losing him for a few games if he'd further aggravated his knee. 

Keeping an injured player on the field is a big risk for the player concerned and criticising Warne for looking after the welfare of his players is obtuse.

Agreed. Plus, we didn’t lose two points because Nyambe went off. We lost two points because the team on the pitch failed to deal with the passage of play that led to their goal. Some people seem to be implying Nyambe is our only decent defender and if he’s not on the pitch we’re doomed if the opposition attack down our right including relatively harmless throw ins.

51 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Therefore I happily apologise. 

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed. Plus, we didn’t lose two points because Nyambe went off. We lost two points because the team on the pitch failed to deal with the passage of play that led to their goal. Some people seem to be implying Nyambe is our only decent defender and if he’s not on the pitch we’re doomed if the opposition attack down our right including relatively harmless throw ins.

Was that the tackle in which he took out 2 for the price of 1 ? 😂 I’d get Hourihane to watch that video again and again as he doesn’t seem to tackle 

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe, but Nyambe had dominated that side of the pitch and had little trouble with the Shrewsbury players all afternoon. Also he is excellent at defending players running at the byline just because of his strength and ability to get between the man and ball.

No criticism of Wilson per se, he had just walked onto the pitch, but he was the wrong side of his man, and between him and Collins made a hash of defending a fairly straightforward situation. So yes, I think it was highly relevant. 

We lost two points because the subs disrupted our organisation, the players were caught cold and it allowed an opposition who'd posed almost zero threat all game (who apparently pose almost zero threat in most games) a rare opportunity to score a goal.

Earlier in the season we saw similar spells of disruption allowing the opposition chances they wouldn't otherwise have had (sometimes it has cost us, but the majority aren't taken so get brushed under the carpet), which usually seemed to coincide with changing shape to a back 3 whilst subbing Bradley on.

That obviously wasn't the case or the cause on Saturday, but a picture does start to emerge that any sort of disruption to our defensive organisation, even one resulting from our own changes, seems to cause us to have these little spells where we lose focus.

Saturday was impacted by injury / potential injury so it's understandable that the changes weren't planned, but we see the same issue when they are.

Is that simply inevitable, or is it indicative of a deeper issue with how we prepare our subs? If we're making changes to our defensive line late in games in order to maintain a lead, then we can't afford to have players coming onto the pitch still trying to figure out what they're doing or taking a few minutes to settle.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes much more to do with the defensive mindset of 'holding on to the points'. The few minutes after they scored showed how we might play but we don't.

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

The greatest difficulty is watching us muller Shrewsbury, get the lead, then stop and shut up shop. Ot was a stupid decision by Mr Warne. The dropped points are on him.

Except Warne said in his post-match presser he told the team to push for a 2nd goal. If the players began to play with trepidation at fear of conceding and this is all after half-time, what exactly is Warne supposed to do? In fairness, you could even argue his subs were attacking- which has been the main criticism of Warne from Saturday and you're saying the exact opposite...

This is the type of comment that irks me, because I cannot see how you've possibly completely absolved the players of responsibility there, and just blamed Warne. It makes no sense...?

One small positive for me was the welcome addition of some one-touch football through the middle of the pitch. Primarily facilitated by Bird and Adams, there was 2/3 moments where we passed through their midfield with precision and looked very dangerous. If we can expand on this in the coming games, we'll have a much more varied offense, which can only serve us well. 

Add to that: we've got one of the best wingers in the league to integrate into the side, Adams gelling into the midfield further, and our best defender on the ball to return tomorrow.

If we can put all the pieces together, there's no reason we can't go on another strong run of results and re\ally cement our league position- the next 2 games are crucial though!

36 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Except Warne said in his post-match presser he told the team to push for a 2nd goal. If the players began to play with trepidation at fear of conceding and this is all after half-time, what exactly is Warne supposed to do? In fairness, you could even argue his subs were attacking- which has been the main criticism of Warne from Saturday and you're saying the exact opposite...

This is the type of comment that irks me, because I cannot see how you've possibly completely absolved the players of responsibility there, and just blamed Warne. It makes no sense...?

My comments are an expression of frustration because there we were playing them off the park (comparatively) and making them look ragged, but as soon as we scored that all stopped. And as I have said several times this isn’t an isolated case. We have switched the tap off immediately after scoring multiple times and paid the price. We are literally throwing points away, and therefore we may well be throwing promotion away because of stupid tactics. The players are simply doing what they are told. They have to or they get dropped. Hourihane excepted - he never gets dropped.

My positive is that I haven't blamed the players or the management for dropping the 2 points.

For me the blame lies totally with...... .............

The ground staff, for not watering the pitch enough at half time. If they'd done their job properly, that ball from Nelson's header would never have bounced high enough to strike the bar. It wouldn't have happened in Clough's days at the BBG.😁

21 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

My comments are an expression of frustration because there we were playing them off the park (comparatively) and making them look ragged, but as soon as we scored that all stopped. And as I have said several times this isn’t an isolated case. We have switched the tap off immediately after scoring multiple times and paid the price. We are literally throwing points away, and therefore we may well be throwing promotion away because of stupid tactics. The players are simply doing what they are told. They have to or they get dropped. Hourihane excepted - he never gets dropped.

Do you really think Wilson was told to let his man run straight round him for their goal? Because if not, then I really can't see your point. Footballers really don't just 'do what they're told', it's a naturally intuitive game. Mistakes happen, that's why we drew on Saturday. Warne has subsequently come out and said he asked them to push for a second, when we actually sat back and invited pressure. So he's literally agreeing saying he'd coached them not to ''switch the tap off'' and you're still blaming him entirely...

Ideally we don't take Nyambe off, he probably blocks the wide man and we win 1-0. But we made a decision to rest a player carrying a knock and this sub caused initial confusion which unfortunately led to their goal. It was frustrating, and undeserved for them, but that's football.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Maybe, but Nyambe had dominated that side of the pitch and had little trouble with the Shrewsbury players all afternoon. Also he is excellent at defending players running at the byline just because of his strength and ability to get between the man and ball.

No criticism of Wilson per se, he had just walked onto the pitch, but he was the wrong side of his man, and between him and Collins made a hash of defending a fairly straightforward situation. So yes, I think it was highly relevant. 

I’m not sure if you’ve contradicted yourself there or if I’m just reading it wrong. Yes Nyambe is our best right back and yes Wilson had only just come on the pitch BUT, as you say Wilson was on the wrong side of his man and the team as a whole (not just Wilson and Collins but the 8 outfield players in the box that allowed to the ball to run through to their player and then give him all the time in the world to take his shot) failed to deal with a fairly straightforward situation that we shouldn’t have to rely on Nyambe to do. 

Nyambe had dominated that side of the pitch and usually does that’s why I wouldn’t want to lose him for a few games (over and above how much we lost him due to the Alcon) if he’d picked up an injury. Warne was either over cautious or sensible in bringing Nyambe off, we’ll never know whether he would have aggravated the injury if he’d stayed on. 

Another positive from yesterday... I managed to get all the skirting board off, plus that bit of boxing-in around the rad pipes, so I'm all ready for the damp-proof guys coming on Thursday to smash my living room walls to smithereens.

Tune in tomorrow, for today's positives, yeah!  😁

#movingforwardonedayatatime.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure if you’ve contradicted yourself there or if I’m just reading it wrong. Yes Nyambe is our best right back and yes Wilson had only just come on the pitch BUT, as you say Wilson was on the wrong side of his man and the team as a whole (not just Wilson and Collins but the 8 outfield players in the box that allowed to the ball to run through to their player and then give him all the time in the world to take his shot) failed to deal with a fairly straightforward situation that we shouldn’t have to rely on Nyambe to do. 

Nyambe had dominated that side of the pitch and usually does that’s why I wouldn’t want to lose him for a few games (over and above how much we lost him due to the Alcon) if he’d picked up an injury. Warne was either over cautious or sensible in bringing Nyambe off, we’ll never know whether he would have aggravated the injury if he’d stayed on. 

Apologies if not clear TR, what I was trying to say was that if Nyambe was on the pitch, the way he defends generally and had defended all afternoon, I imagine his positioning would have put him in the right place and that ball would have been shepherded out for a goal kick. But as you say, who knows what would have happened had he stayed on?

If Warne felt it was serious enough to remove him from the pitch, no problem. In the moment it seemed, to me anyway, he wasn't visibly struggling hence the frustration. Anyway, it is what it is and it's done, so we forget about it and move on. In the great scheme of things, we're still second and need to crack on.

7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Much more to do with a team which had sat back and defended suddenly conceded and then became more positive (look at their substitutions) hence we had to defend a bit more. Warne has often been criticised for not responding to opposition changes - he basically can’t win, can he? Unfortunately, we drew the game because the player/players didn’t do as they are told and poorly defended a throw-in (something Warne is always on about).  Unfortunately, some fans just make the facts suit their own agendas.