Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I asked an open question; would folks on here be happier if we'd played well but lost the game instead.

The easy thing to do to back up my argument is to say yes but it’s more nuanced than that so I won’t. 

If it was a great performance following on from the recent matches then I’d be frustrated with the loss. If it was a great performance following on from a run of great performances where we’d got the results we’d hope for then I think I’d be fairly happy still. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I asked an open question; would folks on here be happier if we'd played well but lost the game instead.

I think the most enjoyable game from a spectator perspective was the Peterborough game and we lost that.

However, I can’t wait to get out of this league so I can put up with a few games like yesterday 😊

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Isn’t this an oxymoron? More than he did last season Warne has shown a willingness to change things which has resulted in us collecting more wins and scoring more goals.

He’s perhaps not setting us up in the right way from the off, but I can at least see some reasoning for that with the squad spread so thin due to injuries. 

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion recently that he’s never going to be welcome here by some sections of the support, with people of course welcome to their opinions and plenty offering an explanation for how they feel. As I’ve said before, he’ll leave at some point and I hope at least whoever replaces him proves to be far less a divisive character. 

He had the changes lined up after they scored and decided they were still needed even after we equalised - which they obviously were as we were still struggling to exert any control.
My comment regarding stubbornness related to his initial team setup which no one outside the coaching team seems to understand - yet again yesterday (second game in succession) Warne moaned that we didn’t win enough 2nd balls - without acknowledging that it’s normally your players in the middle of the pitch that do that job - and he’d set the team up without anyone playing there…

Edited by Gaspode

29 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

We never play well! Wigan was good for an hour and Oxford good. Since then been pretty rank in six games? 

call some fans awful if you like but the team were booed at half time, and warne even said he should’ve booed himself. If you are happy with first half yesterday then fair enough. But feel you’re in the minority.

not writing Blackett Taylor off at all but has been pretty uninspiring so far, in close to 1 1/2 games has achieved very little. That’s all that’s pointed out. 

I'm not happy with the first half performance no. But I wasn't massively enthusiastic about the football under Billy Davies either but as long as we win it doesn't really matter.

We've won 11, drew 2 and lost 2 out of the last 15 games.

If we do that in the next 15 we'll win the league.

Blackett Taylor has trained twice and played about 80 minutes in total. He's at a new club, new surroundings, won't know his teammates well and you're calling him uninspiring? It's mental. 

1 minute ago, Seaside Ram said:

Just watched back that free kick for them at the death, 

What the hell was Vickers doing ???? Their bloke should've scored. 

Bring Wildsmith back ,he is clearly no 1. stop this ridiculous situation/point proving nonsense.

Yep, he’s a good shot stopper but he’s terrible at committing to crosses. How can the defence play in front of that?

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

He had the changes lined up after they scored and decided they were still needed even after we equalised - which they obviously were as we were still struggling to exert any control.
My comment regarding stubbornness related to his initial team setup which no one outside the coaching team seems to understand - yet again yesterday (second game in succession) Warne moaned that we didn’t win enough 2nd balls - without acknowledging that it’s normally your players in the middle of the pitch that do that job - and he’d set the team up without anyone playing there…

I get it, I’ve regularly beat the drum about how long it takes him to make the obvious changes required in a game, I do think he’s at least got slightly better at that this season. 

It just seems people are so frustrated with the initial part of the match or matches they then can’t bring themselves to credit when he does change it and get the win.
Was just pointing out that he did make the changes that got us the win and I can perhaps see the decision to start with all the attacking players and 2 in midfield as perhaps being down to injuries within the squad both current and recent.

Just now, Chellaston Ram said:

We can only get away with playing poorly and winning for so long, the manager doesn’t appear to be addressing the issue .

How about getting away with playing well but losing.

I'd call losing games more of an issue but that's just me I guess...

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The answer has to be no (for me anyway. I can’t answer for everyone) but the fact that we won shouldn’t stop us being highly critical of the performance. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is that a fair question?
As it didn't happen, how would we know?  We can only guess.

For me personally, I suspect (guess!) I'd be happier with a "Played ok, and just about deserved to win". 
Obviously, I'd prefer a "We played mesmerically well, and blew them away, thoroughly deserving of the 3 points and improved GD", but that's the ideal world scenario, and unrealistic to even hope for, let alone expect.

If... IF... you insist we answer your open question, I'd say no.  Points over performance for me... but only just... and only for now.
I don't want yesterday's game to become the norm.  I'd stop going... eventually... I guess!

First half we were dire , Wilson can’t play that deep and play his natural game , he had a stinker and lost the ball so often in dangerous areas our defence went into fragile panic stricken mode and it set the tone , we went full on nervous can’t play a simple pass or control a ball and put ourselves under pressure, warne or the players ?        Bit of both for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

two things need to happen for any real change ,

1: we need our defence back from injury and African cup , they set the tone for calm and confidence that has given us our great run of results ,

2: ( and this is down to warne ) we need to be working on being far far more compact as a team with an extra man in midfield , the gaps are killing us , not only defending wise but also going forward but make no mistake this is anti football like many claim ( do they watch games ? ) ,it’s the opposite , it’s too far the other way , I love that we go out to win every game but it’s too gung ho ,

collins is a hero in this team ( I predicted he would get goals I think I stated 18 min ? ) and I’m really sad to see that many can still only turn theyre slating of him into through gritted teeth acceptance that he’s ok 😡,

It was a win , spent a lot of the game frustrated and head in hands but still walked to the car and drove home happy as Larry , as win and two great goals to cap off a roller coaster of emotions at a game kind of does that to me ,

feel at bit sad for those that don’t get any joy from a day or a game like that and don’t really understand it 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'm not happy with the first half performance no. But I wasn't massively enthusiastic about the football under Billy Davies either but as long as we win it doesn't really matter.

Blackett Taylor has trained twice and played about 80 minutes in total. He's at a new club, new surroundings, won't know his teammates well and you're calling him uninspiring? It's mental. 

The issue I have with this is football is a lot about momentum and it just feels like after a run where momentum was fully with us it has now swung in the opposite direction. Wins against relegation zone sides are massive uphill battles rather than routine wins that you’d expect a top 2 team to manage. 

I hope we can repeat our past 15 results but what’s to stop us repeating our first 15? 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

First half we were dire , Wilson can’t play that deep and play his natural game , he had a stinker and lost the ball so often in dangerous areas our defence went into fragile panic stricken mode and it set the tone , we went full on nervous can’t play a simple pass or control a ball and put ourselves under pressure, warne or the players ?        Bit of both for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

two things need to happen for any real change ,

1: we need our defence back from injury and African cup , they set the tone for calm and confidence that has given us our great run of results ,

2: ( and this is down to warne ) we need to be working on being far far more compact as a team with an extra man in midfield , the gaps are killing us , not only defending wise but also going forward but make no mistake this is anti football like many claim ( do they watch games ? ) ,it’s the opposite , it’s too far the other way , I love that we go out to win every game but it’s too gung ho ,

collins is a hero in this team ( I predicted he would get goals I think I stated 18 min ? ) and I’m really sad to see that many can still only turn theyre slating of him into through gritted teeth acceptance that he’s ok 😡,

It was a win , spent a lot of the game frustrated and head in hands but still walked to the car and drove home happy as Larry , as win and two great goals to cap off a roller coaster of emotions at a game kind of does that to me ,

feel at bit sad for those that don’t get any joy from a day or a game like that and don’t really understand it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Captured it brilliantly there @Archied, it’s how I’ve felt all season. 

Like you I don’t share the anti-football rhetoric, it’s anti-control which isn’t the most pleasant for the nerves but when it works it’s pretty enjoyable (Oxford away, Burton x 2, Posh away etc). However like most I think I’d prefer a bit more control alongside the “we go out to win” theory Warne has. 

I’m hoping Nyambe being back next week and a couple of additions ( 🤞 ) will refresh the squad and we go again on another decent run. 

There's no buzz on the way in... or on the way out. Not even yesterday, after a win!

The vast majority appear to be slumped-of-the-shoulder.  Smile-less even.
Any hint of smiles/laughter can soon be determined to be on a personal level, not DCFC related (I eavesdrop a lot as I hang around outside before going in!)

There's a distinct aroma of "Doing the chores" around the ground pre-match, as if most of us are there out of duty.

I could be reading the signs wrong of course, and I'm sure some on here will argue with my observations, but they are my observations nonetheless, and I'm comfortable with airing them.
Maybe it's the weather?  Post-Christmas blues? 🤷‍♂️
Fire away!

27 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the most enjoyable game from a spectator perspective was the Peterborough game and we lost that.

However, I can’t wait to get out of this league so I can put up with a few games like yesterday 😊

I made that point after that game too.

We lost the midfield and were cut open at will. But we also created chances and were  'unlucky' in the end to lose against quality opposition.

I enjoyed that game far more and felt more positive about our chances than after yesterday.

Two great goals and some brief euphoria but we were so lucky that they missed from 2 yards- in that event there would have been even less to take out of the game.

Surely lessons have been learned and we will sort the full back and midfield situation out. Probably by going 3 at the back.

Also desperately need cover for Collins because he's fast becoming the horse from Animal Farm who will need boiling down for glue!

56 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

And didn’t promotion without worrying about performances work out brilliantly then

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've never had a downer on Warne.
I was up his arse for a good few months... and personality-wise, I still like the guy/his humour etc, unlike many.
Any hint from me re Warne Out has been 100% "Tongue-in-cheek"/"WUM", call it what you like.
Even now, I'm not at the "I think it's time to go" stage.
Even if and when I get there, it will be more out of rueful realism than full on rant.  That's just my make up, I guess.  I'll just shrug my shoulders and plod on.

But even for a home-only attendee (Lincoln away aside), I very much agree with @sage with his "Hard work to watch" comments.
I don't currently envy our stalwart home and away regulars, that's for sure.  Nor even the home regulars that have a bit of a trek to get here!  

It's hard work to motivate myself to take the 30 minute stroll to get there.
It's hard work to skip up the steps to my seat, with even the slightest hint of optimism or excitement.
It's hard work to bellow out a "Come on Derby".
It's hard work to even truly believe "We'll win this" before a ball is kicked.
For me personally, it's even hard work to work out whether it's Warne's fault, the player's fault, or a combination.  

...But it's definitely a hard watch!

Points (and subsequent league position) just about trump performance for me, but there will always be a cut-off point.  I'm not there yet, and I've no idea how close I am.  I suspect if that comes, it will be a bolt out of the blue moment?  

But I'm not enjoying the watch.  I'm not shouting from the roof tops that I'm a Derby fan.  It's now't to brag about... unlike 14/15.

As winter isn't over with yet, it's even hard work for me to proclaim that I'll attend every remaining home game this season.  There's still the odd "Bitterly cold winter's mid-week evening" to come yet!  
I missed a few of those in Young Nigel's latter days.  It may come around again this season yet.

Of course, my absence (should it happen) won't matter a jot, as I'm not important, and my money's already in the coffers.  And regardless of how this season pans out, I'm not currently planning to forego my ST renewal for next season.

... But it's definitely a hard watch. 

4th, yer say?  Touching distance of auto's, we cry?
Cling on folks... there may just be some entertainment around the corner!

🐏

I think your post sums very many of us up. I was actually excited yesterday thinking we would be really up for it and it would be a good one. And we won with two wonderful goals but it was dire for such a long time its hard to feel that buzz. Happy we won and hoping we're having a little off patch and will ignite another successful run to promotion. The last one saw us close the large gap to top two and another would hopefully see us promoted but I think could just as easily go the other way like last season. Which will it be?