Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, jono said:

I know what you mean from yesterday but these players are largely experienced men, and football is in constant motion. Regardless of coaching, where is the natural instinct ? When Fornah came on, his first touch was a one touch layoff and then he darted forward in to free space. That is from learning basics as a kid, they should know that anyway. 

The problem with it being a team game is that it does need to be coached otherwise chaos will reign. I get what you're saying some basic instinct should come in but if the players who are passing it aren't aware of where someone is they'll take a crucial extra second or 2 to find it and then be put under pressure. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks and feels that.

At least Billy waited until we'd gone up to tell us! 😄

Yeah I think maybe relations since the start of the season has poisoned the relationship with Warne tbh.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think we have to worry about getting out of this league first before we start musing on whether Warne is the right person to keep us up in the Championship.

But you may get what you wish for if it takes us another full season for us to get promoted which will see Warne towards the end of his contract so should be more affordable to get rid of if we do have a poor start.

Assuming he isn't given a contract extension when we do get promoted in this scenario obviously.

I think successful teams think about both things. If you look at Ipswich and Plymouth they clearly had projects and an identity moving beyond merely promotion. This is why I didn't want Warne in the first place.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I’ve said it before a while ago, and I know it’s against the grain in general so many won’t agree, which is fine. But I don’t see an issue with booing. 

It’s a uniquely British thing where booing is taboo at sporting events. Anyone who’s watched much foreign football or even attended any can attest that it’s commonplace and isn’t frowned upon.

Yesterday, the booing was purely at the perceived lack of effort. There was no urgency, passion, pace or fight in the performance. We were lethargic and struggling against a team playing rudimentary long balls to two short strikers, with us consistently getting pushed around. That is unacceptable. There’s a minimum requirement, and that isn’t it.

It does not make anyone any less of a fan for their reaction to watching that. Sitting on top of Mount pious stating the only way to try and motivate your team is through either saying nothing or clapping, and that’s being a fan, isn’t realistic. Do as you wish, but it doesn’t make you superior to anyone else. 

Sorry if I have missed it, but I don't think anyone is saying that those of us who don't boo are superior, we are just saying that we don't think that it helps the players in any way. I'm sure players have said in interviews that getting behind them helps, not booing! So why would you do something that is detrimental to getting what you want, which is an improved performance. 

It might be my imagination but it seems like the players tend to go to the SW corner to celebrate goals at that end recently. Yesterday was muted celebration for the first, Bird and NML didn't go to the South Stand, just a brief salute to West Stand and jog back to the centre and the 2nd from Collins was then straight to the SW corner. Hourihane's winner against Burton was again straight to the corner/west stand. I might just be looking for something that isn't there but I just wondered if the players are making a point to us in the South Stand after the booing at 0-0 which was particularly loud from our end. I never boo myself just on principle but plenty seem to. I just don't feel that it is helpful but it's a personal choice I guess.

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

Sorry if I have missed it, but I don't think anyone is saying that those of us who don't boo are superior, we are just saying that we don't think that it helps the players in any way. I'm sure players have said in interviews that getting behind them helps, not booing! So why would you do something that is detrimental to getting what you want, which is an improved performance. 

I wonder what Blackett Taylor thought about the atmosphere yesterday. He looked very nervous. A performance very similar to one that Tony Springett put in down that left wing last season . Could do with getting up to speed quickly . I’m sure he will .

1 minute ago, angieram said:

No booing at all around us in West Stand. It didn't sound very loud at all, maybe the pitchside microphones emphasised it? 

There were a handful up behind us prob including the two men who randomly shouted a couple of comments re Warne. It seemed to mainly come from South Stand (and not having a go at south stand before someone jumps in). 

does anyone know why we have started playing hey jude at final whistle so loudly it totally stops any fan singing. I know we have this discussion 6 million times a season but sure thats some of issue with atmosphere - so loud pre and post match at half time and after goals seems to stifle any crowd noise. Dont like being told what to sing when

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who said there was a criticism of Derby from Curt? I pointed out that Curt highlighted the way the 'modern' game is played (he's had a long career to identify changes).

My point based on that was (simplistically) that players don't know what they're doing, it's down to the coaching staff to get them to 'know the game plan'! Here's the quote again.

“... It’s about finding space and another player over. It’s about structure, about everyone knowing exactly their job and the job of the man next to them. So, if I played any position on the pitch, I would have known what I was doing. Everything’s automatic, and your thought process, not to say we’re robots but more in terms of once you get the ball in one position I know my passes are A and B. That allows anyone to step into the system..."

So, just to understand you correctly, are you saying that Derby's players don't know what they're doing? You don't think that  the game, the opposition, the tactics needed are discussed beforehand?

Curtis knows all the theory, as most of us think we do, but his team are in the bottom 4, we are in the top 4. But I suppose that is down to us having the highest wage budget in the division and the superior squad?

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

There were a handful up behind us prob including the two men who randomly shouted a couple of comments re Warne. It seemed to mainly come from South Stand (and not having a go at south stand before someone jumps in). 

does anyone know why we have started playing hey jude at final whistle so loudly it totally stops any fan singing. I know we have this discussion 6 million times a season but sure thats some of issue with atmosphere - so loud pre and post match at half time and after goals seems to stifle any crowd noise. Dont like being told what to sing when

I returned to my seat in the upper tier yesterday after an enforced spell pitchside. Blimey, I'd forgotten just how loud the speakers are up there! 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I returned to my seat in the upper tier yesterday after an enforced spell pitchside. Blimey, I'd forgotten just how loud the speakers are up there! 

Wrote to the SLO a few times about it.

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Why is it wrong to want to see some good football like we saw under Mac1?

some saying it doesn’t matter as long as we are winning?? Really?

well we got promoted playing s**** football under wee billy and then went on to embarrass ourselves in the prem 

So it’s not unfair to want to see some football which is sustainable in a division higher should be get there ..why not build a side now that will need tweaks rather than a massive overhaul if we were to go up integrating the younger academy players ?

yesterday Maidstone beat Ipswich 2-1 and it was brilliant because it’s the cup etc etc but Ipswich were by far the better side but lost and Ipswich’s brand of football is not only good to watch but it will produce results and keep fans happy you wouldn’t want to watch Maidstone week in week out so it’s not all about results 

we are a big club in a crap division and anyone who starts to think every game is tough blahdy blah really doesn’t see it how I do …we have some of the best players in the division and with that comes expectation no different to any other club if youre in a lower level to where you usually play 

nothing wrong with expectation and its natural and some players and managers thrive on it some dont 

it’s not entitlement as some put it 

we are Derby County and this is L1 

the third division!!!

You were very nearly playing in the Derby Combination League (if there is one!)

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

No booing at all around us in West Stand. It didn't sound very loud at all, maybe the pitchside microphones emphasised it? 

I didn’t Boooooo , but plenty did in the South stand . Possibly a carry on from going away to Reading , that’s a fans right . But I did not like Rams players being called “ Useless C —s “ . That’s going too far .

3 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

You were very nearly playing in the Derby Combination League (if there is one!)

If Derby were playing in an even lower league the expectation would be the same. I want to see the Rams play in European competitions again!

Just to add a bit of balance to those who think the world has ended with our recent results - only 2 teams in the top 7 have more points than us over the last 5 games - Bolton 12, Peterborough 11 against our 10 points. Getting Nyambe back and a few others from injury, plus hopefully someone in the window will make a huge difference.

12 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just to add a bit of balance to those who think the world has ended with our recent results - only 2 teams in the top 7 have more points than us over the last 5 games - Bolton 12, Peterborough 11 against our 10 points. Getting Nyambe back and a few others from injury, plus hopefully someone in the window will make a huge difference.

I think we all get the points argument, some of us want a sense that we are going in the right direction as evidenced by entertaining performances 

Edited by Spanish