Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I just watched the highlights- who was supposed to be marking the player on the back post in the last moments of the game who somehow didn’t score as it looks like dreadful defending 

Collins 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I just watched the highlights- who was supposed to be marking the player on the back post in the last moments of the game who somehow didn’t score as it looks like dreadful defending 

Dunno who he was, but I think hes been watching the highlights video of the Lincoln No. 9.

Well here is DavesaRam-come-lately, partly to calm down / drum up some enthusiasm, partly because of grandad duties!

So .................. highlight of the day was getting past the first season-ticket check using my bus pass!

And a statement - there is plenty of grass in no-mans land. 

At half time my intended match report was going to be a single full-stop, which would no doubt have surprised and delighted many on this forum!

Second half was a bit different, after looking like mor of the same. We did seem to be playing at a slightly higher tempo, which is something Warne had asked for. But unlike many, I think our turn around wasn't the substitutions, it was the red card!

What red card? The one that should have been given for the grievous bodily assault on Barkhuisen, which was two-footed, both feet off the ground. Instead it was just a yellow. The match officials, as ever, were appalling, but their incompetence was dwarfed by Derby's first half performance in particular. But the incident got the crowd going, and seemed to get Derby's dander up, and suddenly we had got the upper hand, and suddenly Cheltenham's shortcomings were exposed, resulting in a whole load of nasty trips and fouls around the area, leading to the stunning Max Bird goal. The substitutions consolidated our upper hand and we got 20 minutes of not too bad football. The substitutions did help, as some have mentioned, in that we did start to use the midfield more, so Cheltenham could no longer be sure of which way we were going to play the ball, and the defence began to open up.

Up till then Cheltenham had done a job on us,  yet it was no great prowess on their part. The "job" they did on us is the easiest job in the world. They started with a high press, which we struggle with, but they also knew that we vacate the middle of the pitch, so could play through it easily enough. And instead of parking the bus, they just drove it all around the pitch as they wished. They were very tight and compact, and moved as one, so as well as pressing well, they quickly moved back in defence as we moved forwards. And the "pack" moved across towards which ever wing we decided to fill with wide men to stifle our one form of gameplan. It was so easy.

So should we booo like we did on Saturday? Well the alternative is to applaud the players and the coaching staff for what they are producing. My daughter was horrified at the cheering when Hourihane was substituted - what will that do to his confidence? There is a truth to this, but if you choose a vocation or career which has you performing in front of large crowds means having to deal with their responses. Is the protest at the players? Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But what if the protests are against what the players are being forced to play like? A few months ago Hourihane said "If you want to play, you play the way Warne tells you". IE in other words if you do anything else, such as play football, you are out. 

I've said in another thread that maybe it is the shear frustration of the fans knowing we could do so much m ore with this squad if only we would try football. And probably 70 or 80% of the crowd know that if they turned in performances like that, be it the players or Warne and his crew, they wouldn't last two weeks in their jobs, while millionaires, or about to be millionaires can swan about without a care in the world while we mere mortals pend a high proportion of our income supporting them

We can always live in hope that Warne and his crew spotted something on Saturday, and we will go for 3 in the middle and play the ball at ground level, and mix things up a bit. But I shan't be holding my breath.

Edited by DavesaRam

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well here is DavesaRam-come-lately, partly to calm down / drum up some enthusiasm, partly because of grandad duties!

So .................. highlight of the day was getting past the first season-ticket check using my bus pass!

And a statement - there is plenty of grass in no-mans land. 

At half time my intended match report was going to be a single full-stop, which would no doubt have surprised and delighted many on this forum!

Second half was a bit different, after looking like mor of the same. We did seem to be playing at a slightly higher tempo, which is something Warne had asked for. But unlike many, I think our turn around wasn't the substitutions, it was the red card!

What red card? The one that should have been given for the grievous bodily assault on Barkhuisen, which was two-footed, both feet off the ground. Instead it was just a yellow. The match officials, as ever, were appalling, but their incompetence was dwarfed by Derby's first half performance in particular. But the incident got the crowd going, and seemed to get Derby's dander up, and suddenly we had got the upper hand, and suddenly Cheltenham's shortcomings were exposed, resulting in a whole load of nasty trips and fouls around the area, leading to the stunning Max Bird goal. The substitutions consolidated our upper hand and we got 20 minutes of not too bad football. The substitutions did help, as some have mentioned, in that we did start to use the midfield more, so Cheltenham could no longer be sure of which way we were going to play the ball, and the defence began to open up.

Up till then Cheltenham had done a job on us,  yet it was no great prowess on their part. The "job" they did on us is the easiest job in the world. They started with a high press, which we struggle with, but they also knew that we vacate the middle of the pitch, so could play through it easily enough. And instead of parking the bus, they just drove it all around the pitch as they wished. They were very tight and compact, and moved as one, so as well as pressing well, they quickly moved back in defence as we moved forwards. And the "pack" moved across towards which ever wing we decided to fill with wide men to stifle our one form of gameplan. It was so easy.

So should we booo like we did on Saturday? Well the alternative is to applaud the players and the coaching staff for what they are producing. My daughter was horrified at the cheering when Hourihane was substituted - what will that do to his confidence? There is a truth to this, but if you choose a vocation or career which has you performing in front of large crowds means having to deal with their responses. Is the protest at the players? Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But what if the protests are against what the players are being forced to play like? A few months ago Hourihane said "If you want to play, you play the way Warne tells you". IE in other words if you do anything else, such as play football, you are out. 

I've said in another thread that maybe it is the shear frustration of the fans knowing we could do so much m ore with this squad if only we would try football. And probably 70 or 80% of the crowd know that if they turned in performances like that, be it the players or Warne and his crew, they wouldn't last two weeks in their jobs, while millionaires, or about to be millionaires can swan about without a care in the world while we mere mortals pend a high proportion of our income supporting them

We can always live in hope that Warne and his crew spotted something on Saturday, and we will go for 3 in the middle and play the ball at ground level, and mix things up a bit. But I shan't be holding my breath.

Nice little summary..

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

He has also limited the team by steadfastly refusing to play the youngsters when we are desperate for fresh legs, when we really need to give some if the old legs a rest.

He’s certainly been very cautious. I would have liked Brown to have been given more of a chance but the points haul over the last dozen games gives some justification. One thing for sure in my mind, now Tommo is back he needs using and I’d like to see more of Fornah he strikes me as being technically very capable and prepared to attack rather than play safe. 

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Ok, how about yesterday, coming from a goal down to win, doesn’t fit the narrative though does it.

No it doesn’t, because yesterday we only turned it around due to scoring two worldie goals. There was no character and fight shown to turn that game around - we performed just as poorly across the 90 minutes. The rest of the team have Bird and Collins to thank for two moments of individual quality (and Mendez-Laing for creating the latter). Without those moments we lose that game.

I’ll give you Oxford as one game where the team genuinely showed some balls and turned the tide of the game, but I really can’t think of many other examples. We’ve lost a lot more points this season from winning positions than we’ve gained from losing positions.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No it doesn’t, because yesterday we only turned it around due to scoring two worldie goals. There was no character and fight shown to turn that game around - we performed just as poorly across the 90 minutes. The rest of the team have Bird and Collins to thank for two moments of individual quality (and Mendez-Laing for creating the latter). Without those moments we lose that game.

I’ll give you Oxford as one game where the team genuinely showed some balls and turned the tide of the game, but I really can’t think of many other examples. We’ve lost a lot more points this season from winning positions than we’ve gained from losing positions.

How confident are you in that statement? I’d be interested in what the forum stattos can present. I did a quick tally and found the following;

- Away at posh we went 1-0 down and won 4-2 (+3).

- Away at Bolton we went 1-0 up, lost 2-1 (-3)

- Home to Portsmouth we went 1-0 up, drew 1-1 (-2)

- Away to Cheltenham went 1-0 down, drew 1-1 (+1)

- Home to Bristol Rovers it was 1-1 at 87 mins and we scored 93rd min to win 2-1 (+2)

- Away to Oxford 2-0 down and won 3-2 (+3)

- Home to Posh, winning 2-1, they score 84 mins and 94 mins, we lose 3-2 (-3)

- Home to Burton we’re 2-0 up, by 65 mins it’s 2-2, we score 93rd min for 3-2 (+2) points.

- Home to Cheltenham went 1-0 down, won 2-1 (+3)

Points gained 14, points dropped 8. Just found it an interesting thing to look at is all, not saying this team doesn’t make hard work of things. 

8 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

For 60 minutes it looked like they were still in Reading!!  One of the games where you’re glad you’ve got the 3 points but know you’ve got away with one.  But, there are no bonus points for playing well.  That said, we do need to start doing the basics better.  Too many times in the last couple of games passing the ball more than 5 yards seems to be the most difficult thing in the world.  And the players have to bear their share of the blame and that really is basic.

They do seem to have character though.  After Tuesday, to behind at home in what was, at times, a pretty nasty atmosphere takes guts.

Booing - never understood it, never will.  I think that if I had people following me around at work and they booed me at lunch, would it motivate me for the afternoon.  No.  Footballers are no different.

Totally agree with the need to be doing the basics better. We have seen the players in other games, when they have done the basics well, then the passing, and creating, and better tempo follows and we see better individual and in turn better team performances.

That process works in the stadium also from the fans, they are part of the process, they require also to achieve their basics, be passionate, sing, keep songs going as long as possible, be loud and proud with the singing, keep the opposing fans quiet, be creative, the better tempo follows, and we see and enjoy all together, better individual and in turn better performances from the crowd, the supporters of the players, the club, that they want and crave to do well.

We Are Derby and are all part of the process, and when we work together successfully as a team, in turn we all produce quality, and desired results are achieved.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

How confident are you in that statement? I’d be interested in what the forum stattos can present. I did a quick tally and found the following;

- Home to Bristol Rovers it was 1-1 at 87 mins and we scored 93rd min to win 2-1 (+2)

- Home to Burton we’re 2-0 up, by 65 mins it’s 2-2, we score 93rd min for 3-2 (+2) points.

Points gained 14, points dropped 8. Just found it an interesting thing to look at is all, not saying this team doesn’t make hard work of things. 

A lot of those games that we gained points in, we were winning in the first place and f***** it, if I recall correctly. I’m not counting them.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

A lot of those games that we gained points in, we were winning in the first place and f***** it, if I recall correctly. I’m not counting them.

Ok, take the Bristol Rovers and Burton games away it’s still 10 points gained from losing positions versus 8 dropped from winning ones. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But the goals only count if they’re worldies , and according to someone else Penalties scored by Collins don’t count as goals either.😂

9 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Nice one Jim, It was a good holiday...even Saint Austell 👍the Eden Project was worth a visit(bloody humid in there)I went on a walkabout on my lonesome, I found a path down to the bottom of some cliffs, Absolutely deserted...except for what was an old Discotheque on the beach which was half burnt down, Eerily spooky it was...huge seagulls hovering about, I was out of there toot suite, Got back to the cliff top and was stopped by this fella, Where the fcuk have you been, Down by the cliffs mate, It's off bounds you shouldn't be there, How did you get there?, This way I said...as there was a rundown hut there, He went for a piss at the time of me walking passed 😁  

Went when it first opened and they had a pensioners day.  Middle of July and packed and most the other side of 80.  It was not a good combination and had to aid a few.  The day was made more surreal by following Melinda Messenger around who was filming something for TV.  

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Yes that was very poor, and the two good goals scored by Bird and Collins can't overshadow an unconvincing performance. We were frustrated by a team that were able to get numbers behind the ball when needed, as well as causing problems in our half. 

3 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

In explaining the points gained and points lost! It was a compliment!

I didn’t take it as a slight or a compliment, just wasn’t sure what I was persisting with 🤣 

I may have made some errors in looking over the fixtures but from what I can see it does appear so far this season we’ve picked up more points from losing positions than we’ve dropped from winning ones, another interesting conundrum given how divided the fan base is about Warne. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram