Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

Wildsmith

Wilson Nelson Cashin Elder

Bird       Thompson

Hourihane

NML   Collins   Blackett- Taylor

Pinched from the Cheltenham forum.

Looks like a good time to play Derby.

Poor recent form, struggling to score and some major injuries to strikers and defenders.

They seem to be flogging the same players week in week out. 
High press and plenty of energy against them is the order of the day, me thinks.

Bloody hell…………….…….looks like we’ve been rumbled! 😁🐏

23 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Poor recent form, struggling to score and some major injuries to strikers and defenders.

High press and plenty of energy against them is the order of the day, me thinks.

Nah, agent Curtis will bag us a couple of ogs......

Massive game now, need to get on the front foot straight away, need NML and CBT to rip them a new one down the flanks, and need Collins to be on fire, I believe we will bounce back, and win 3-0, and us fans need to stay with them, 3 points and we are back on track, 18 games left to play, lets make it a season to remember for all the right reasons. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

11 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

No need to worry - we’ve got Plans B and C, brand spanking new and unused, still in their wrappers!

I'd probably echo a change in formation like a few have mentioned already. Going with a 4-3-3 now we have CBT giving us deadly pace on the wings and having an extra midfielder in there. Can switch up to 3-5-2 if nothing is coming off

Wildsmith back in goal where he belongs 

Captain as the quarter back and I put Thompson in there thought he showed great energy and needs a run of games under his belt. 2 midfielders can roam forward on attacks and one stays holding, supported by quite attacking fullbacks 

Substitutes

Barks for any winger 

Fornah for any midfielder 

Wildsmith

Wilson     Nelson  Cashin      Elder

Hourihane 

Thompson            Bird

NML                                              CBT

Collins

2 hours ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

I'd probably echo a change in formation like a few have mentioned already. Going with a 4-3-3 now we have CBT giving us deadly pace on the wings and having an extra midfielder in there. Can switch up to 3-5-2 if nothing is coming off

Wildsmith back in goal where he belongs 

Captain as the quarter back and I put Thompson in there thought he showed great energy and needs a run of games under his belt. 2 midfielders can roam forward on attacks and one stays holding, supported by quite attacking fullbacks 

Substitutes

Barks for any winger 

Fornah for any midfielder 

Wildsmith

Wilson     Nelson  Cashin      Elder

Hourihane 

Thompson            Bird

NML                                              CBT

Collins

Pretty much what I’d go for, 4-5-1 without the ball looking to be solid (even though it’s “only lowly Cheltenham”) and 4-3-3 with the ball looking to get players forward and into the opposition box 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pretty much what I’d go for, 4-5-1 without the ball looking to be solid (even though it’s “only lowly Cheltenham”) and 4-3-3 with the ball looking to get players forward and into the opposition box 

433 with the ball? Be more adventurous and go 235. With the same personell listed above:

Wildsmith
Nelson   Cashin
Bird   Hourihane   Thompson
Wilson   Mendez-Laing   Collins   Blackett-Taylor   Elder

Hourihane can’t run - I get that.

What I can’t understand is why he takes the deepest midfield position.

He is the most likely of our midfielders to score a goal. He should be the most advanced and thus able to hover around the edge of their box when a ball is crossed.

Bird and whoever can sit deeper and play it simple like Hourihane does. They will also be quicker to support the defence, whereas once passed, Hourihane is stuffed and out of the game.

Looking forward to this game to see what sort of a reaction we come up with after the last two performances.

After listening to the excellent Rams Talk pre match podcast I'm more than slightly nervous. Cheltenham's upturn in form under their new manager apparently is to press teams with a lot of energy from the start, don't sit back but attack, quieten the crowd in the first 20 mins, and take it from there.

Sure I saw somewhere that Cash and Elder are struggling. If that's the case, we'll be looking at:

Vickers

Wilson  Bradley  Nelson   Sibley

Bird    Hourihane    Thompson

NML    Collins      CBT

Subs: Wildsmith  Ward   Barkhuizen   Robinson   Bardell  Weston  Fapetu

which is very thin on the ground. I'd much rather Wildsmith back in the sticks.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sure I saw somewhere that Cash and Elder are struggling. If that's the case, we'll be looking at:

Vickers

Wilson  Bradley  Nelson   Sibley

Bird    Hourihane    Thompson

NML    Collins      CBT

Subs: Wildsmith  Ward   Barkhuizen   Robinson   Bardell  Weston  Fapetu

which is very thin on the ground. I'd much rather Wildsmith back in the sticks.

Bardell is still injured.  The U21 defenders who started the last game were Oduroh, Bartley, KRobinson and Moloney. If we were to pick one, I expect it would be Bartley