Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

35 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ok, take the Bristol Rovers and Burton games away it’s still 10 points gained from losing positions versus 8 dropped from winning ones. 

Think you’re missing a few as well - didn’t we throw away a 1-0 lead late on against Wycombe, for example? And we equalised against Wigan before throwing it away at home. Equalised at Stevenage and lost. Admittedly we were losing those games to start with, but it doesn’t scream “character” to me

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

How confident are you in that statement? I’d be interested in what the forum stattos can present. I did a quick tally and found the following;

- Away at posh we went 1-0 down and won 4-2 (+3).

- Away at Bolton we went 1-0 up, lost 2-1 (-3)

- Home to Portsmouth we went 1-0 up, drew 1-1 (-2)

- Away to Cheltenham went 1-0 down, drew 1-1 (+1)

- Home to Bristol Rovers it was 1-1 at 87 mins and we scored 93rd min to win 2-1 (+2)

- Away to Oxford 2-0 down and won 3-2 (+3)

- Home to Posh, winning 2-1, they score 84 mins and 94 mins, we lose 3-2 (-3)

- Home to Burton we’re 2-0 up, by 65 mins it’s 2-2, we score 93rd min for 3-2 (+2) points.

- Home to Cheltenham went 1-0 down, won 2-1 (+3)

Points gained 14, points dropped 8. Just found it an interesting thing to look at is all, not saying this team doesn’t make hard work of things. 

Wasn't Wycombe another -2?

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think you’re missing a few as well - didn’t we throw away a 1-0 lead late on against Wycombe, for example? And we equalised against Wigan before throwing it away at home. Equalised at Stevenage and lost. Admittedly we were losing those games to start with, but it doesn’t scream “character” to me

According to Transfermarkt, it's 10 points gained from losing positions and 10 lost from winning positions.

Portsmouth have a net gain of 10 points, Bolton just 1, and Peterborough a net loss of 1.

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Good shout on the Wycombe one, missed that, we were winning 1-0 and they equalised in something like the 98th min so 2 more points dropped. You quote the Stevenage and Wigan games but discount the Burton and Bristol Rovers ones so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I’m not saying it screams character, just found the statement you originally made an interesting one so had a look and it’s perhaps not as bad as you thought. 

Which is pretty much my general stance on the whole season as it is currently, it’s not flawlessly brilliant, but it could also be worse. 

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Was a decent stat nonetheless. The team certainly aren't no-hopers. But is Warney making them greater or lesser than the sum of their parts?

I think there’s some elements he’s getting right, they’ve looked fitter this season in matches (notwithstanding the current injuries), we do score plenty (3rd highest in the league?), away form is good, home form has been better than earlier in the season, defence has been solid at times, we’ve picked up more points than at the same stage last year….

And he’s also getting bits wrong, no control in midfield (which does seem by design, for whatever reason), not using the youth, still drives me nuts with his delays in making changes to tactics or personnel in games (BUT is marginally better with it than last season I think), think there have been missteps with recruitment (alongside a couple of rough gems in Nelson, Nyambe and Wilson).

I guess I’m just accepting of the fact he’s the manager for now and happy to go along for the ride until such time as it changes. I said the other day, I’m a simple enough bloke, we win more than we lose, we score more than we concede and whilst it ain’t always pretty I’ll celebrate a late James Collins winner more than I’ll bemoan a lack of control in midfield. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

59 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Good shout on the Wycombe one, missed that, we were winning 1-0 and they equalised in something like the 98th min so 2 more points dropped. You quote the Stevenage and Wigan games but discount the Burton and Bristol Rovers ones so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I’m not saying it screams character, just found the statement you originally made an interesting one so had a look and it’s perhaps not as bad as you thought. 

Which is pretty much my general stance on the whole season as it is currently, it’s not flawlessly brilliant, but it could also be worse. 

The Wycombe game doesn't count as it was never a penalty

4 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I guess I’m just accepting of the fact he’s the manager for now and happy to go along for the ride until such time as it changes. I said the other day, I’m a simple enough bloke, we win more than we lose, we score more than we concede and whilst it ain’t always pretty I’ll celebrate a late James Collins winner more than I’ll bemoan a lack of control in midfield. 

This is me too. We all know that Warne has blind spots and some of us did actually raise them when it became clear he was joining. I wanted Rosenior, but we are where we are and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm not even 100% certain Warne will be fired if he fails to secure promotion, so the best chance we have currently is to back him and the lads and hope that his resistance to change is not his and our undoing. Is he the right man for the longer term. No, I don't believe he is, but he's not going anywhere anytime soon either, is he?

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think there’s some elements he’s getting right, they’ve looked fitter this season in matches (notwithstanding the current injuries), we do score plenty (3rd highest in the league?), away form is good, home form has been better than earlier in the season, defence has been solid at times, we’ve picked up more points than at the same stage last year….

And he’s also getting bits wrong, no control in midfield (which does seem by design, for whatever reason), not using the youth, still drives me nuts with his delays in making changes to tactics or personnel in games (BUT is marginally better with it than last season I think), think there have been missteps with recruitment (alongside a couple of rough gems in Nelson, Nyambe and Wilson).

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

This is me too. We all know that Warne has blind spots and some of us did actually raise them when it became clear he was joining. I wanted Rosenior, but we are where we are and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm not even 100% certain Warne will be fired if he fails to secure promotion, so the best chance we have currently is to back him and the lads and hope that his resistance to change is not his and our undoing. Is he the right man for the longer term. No, I don't believe he is, but he's not going anywhere anytime soon either, is he?

Agree with what you’ve both said.  I agree with the pros and cons that @Caerphilly Ram has mentioned. I also share @Comrade 86 points about the long term.  I’m also not convinced he’d be sacked if we didn’t go up.  My thoughts are lose at any stage in the Play Offs and he’s still in charge next season, miss out on the Play Offs and DC has a bit of thinking to do.

I stated in the Lincoln thread that I would be interested to see how P/Boro perform at Sincil Bank as they are the best team I have seen at PP this year.

Lo and behold 2 points dropped 

We are not as bad as some on here would have it, we do struggle with the high press /hoofball tactics (Crewe/Bradford etc)

The difference in this game was we finally got the ball on the ground as they tired and we had enough class in the team to force a result.

I am finding it difficult to understand how some supporters expect to see Man City dominance from a team in League one.

We are keeping pace and the top 5/6 are so close, so one "off" performances are acceptable, providing we keep racking up the points

COYR     🦍

23 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I agree about the Lincoln game, it now looks a decent result. But I don’t expect us to play like Man City, but the supporters have been used to seeing our team play football ie string more than 3 passes together 

And that is where most of the fans 'expectations' lie (not necessarily promotion even). We're not sure what the 'Derby Way' is but it sure ain't the rubbish that Warne serves up! 

Looking back to Saturday that was a god dam awful performance apart from two pieces of good football that managed to get us over the line

We have been poor for weeks to be honest and against better opposition we will get found out (Peterborough),Hopefully Mr Warne can see we are being run ragged by poor sides in midfield and when he finally changed things and bought Fornah and Thompson on we did look slightly better

I do think we are at least a couple of decent players short of a top two side but have we got finances to do anything come end of Jan,time will tell

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Sanest take I've read this season. Spot on 👏

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Went when it first opened and they had a pensioners day.  Middle of July and packed and most the other side of 80.  It was not a good combination and had to aid a few.  The day was made more surreal by following Melinda Messenger around who was filming something for TV.  

A wonderful place, It was hot outside as mid July, But Christ inside when walking up the slope you needed an oxygen mask 😁

1 hour ago, silverback said:

I stated in the Lincoln thread that I would be interested to see how P/Boro perform at Sincil Bank as they are the best team I have seen at PP this year.

Lo and behold 2 points dropped 

We are not as bad as some on here would have it, we do struggle with the high press /hoofball tactics (Crewe/Bradford etc)

The difference in this game was we finally got the ball on the ground as they tired and we had enough class in the team to force a result.

I am finding it difficult to understand how some supporters expect to see Man City dominance from a team in League one.

We are keeping pace and the top 5/6 are so close, so one "off" performances are acceptable, providing we keep racking up the points

COYR     🦍

It’s a good shout about the Lincoln v Peterborough game. According to the BBC, Posh had the same number of shots on target at Lincoln as we did. I suggested earlier that probably too many of us are largely judging Peterborough’s footballing ability based on one game when they played us off the park. I suspect there are quite a few Peterborough supporters that consider their performance against us as their best of the season and one they wish they could replicate more often. The same way I wish we could repeat what we did against Oxford away for 70 minutes of the game. The worry is that we haven’t looked very good much this season and we were very poor on Saturday for 60 minutes. I don’t know if that was down to the players ability, the players effort, the formation and tactics they are being asked to play by the manager or the managers ability to change things (probably a combination of all) but I do think we need to improve rather than just keeping up with the pace.

I think we’ll make the play offs (but not top two) and it will be interesting to see how we perform in the return fixtures against Stevenage, Barnsley, Bolton and Portsmouth.