Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

16 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If we're going on recent form (last 10 games) they're more of a mid-table side... might not be as easy a game as some will think (but yes, still a game we should be winning)!

Both teams have 10 points from the last 18 available. 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats. Both have a goal difference of +2. Cheltenham have only conceded 5 to our 9. We have the 5th worst defence in the league over the last 6 games, they have the 2nd best defence. 

This most likely isn't going to be the walk over a lot of folk are expecting. It might only be little old Cheltenham, but on paper, they are as good, if not better in recent weeks than Derby.  

41 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

There are only 2 teams between Cheltenham and bottom of the league . Many of our fans think we have players good enough for the top end of the Championship. So let’s go out and prove it by giving them a tonking . Peterborough are likely to drop points at Lincoln , so an improvement on our goal difference could be crucial also .

I am one of those who think we've got a good squad for this League, but wonder whether or not they are allowed to be good enough. We should be "tonking" them, but it is more likely that it will be a tough, close, even dour game. I'll still back them and cheer them on.

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Every time I try to raise some positivity, I have flashbacks to Tue.  

Really was an incredibly flaccid, limp and unenjoyable performance...( Mrs Chester was non-too impressed either 🤣 ).

3 points and a decent performance or I'm seriously getting s**t-faced tonight and sulking for a week.

Think yourself lucky! I don’t drink anymore……

When we lost to Stevenage it felt as if everything had come to a head and many (including me) were calling for Warne to go. The next game at home to Northampton felt pivotal and we rushed into a three goal lead, four just after half-time, and the manager was secure.

We went on a great run and got to 3rd in the league, looking as if we might sweep all before us. Yet, the Derby "nose-bleed" system cut in and we're now down to 5th (on ppg) and falling. With only 18 games to go, if we're genuinely going to challenge for automatic promotion we need another run similar to the one we just had, and pronto. Last year's failure on the back of a 17 game unbeaten run does loom heavily over us. Draw or lose and we're likely really in trouble. I'm hoping it's a convincing win and the start of something again, as we try to haul ourselves back into contention. I'll take any win. 

I feel this game is again that big test of mentality we came through against Northampton with flying colours. Do we need a sports psychologist? Do we have one? Or is that Warne's job at this level?

12 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I know how you feel….first time in 40 years I haven’t been to a game.

What? It’s going to be a modern classic!

Pep and Jurgen will be studying the footage for years.

22 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought it was this:

Vickers
Nelson   Bradley   Cashin
Ward   Sibley   Bird   Elder
Mendez-Laing   Blackett-Taylor  

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

That looks good on paper. Makes it look like we’ve got 4 up front. 😀

It's one of those clever illusion things, as there's only 10 players on the pitch.

Well done to @Ghost of Clough, I say.  Fooled us all!  🤣

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

When we lost to Stevenage it felt as if everything had come to a head and many (including me) were calling for Warne to go. The next game at home to Northampton felt pivotal and we rushed into a three goal lead, four just after half-time, and the manager was secure.

We went on a great run and got to 3rd in the league, looking as if we might sweep all before us. Yet, the Derby "nose-bleed" system cut in and we're now down to 5th (on ppg) and falling. With only 18 games to go, if we're genuinely going to challenge for automatic promotion we need another run similar to the one we just had, and pronto. Last year's failure on the back of a 17 game unbeaten run does loom heavily over us. Draw or lose and we're likely really in trouble. I'm hoping it's a convincing win and the start of something again, as we try to haul ourselves back into contention. I'll take any win. 

I feel this game is again that big test of mentality we came through against Northampton with flying colours. Do we need a sports psychologist? Do we have one? Or is that Warne's job at this level?

Unfortunately that day Northampton decided not to try to mark any of our players particularly Washington which made it a lot easier.

22 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A tiny bit of insight into what kind ofthreat Cheltenham pose.... Only 4 of their current squad members have scored for them in the league this season. Only one of those has more than 2 goals. Their most likely front 2 to start have scored just 4 goals between them.

In other areas of play... The ball will be in the air a lot as they're won of the most aerially diminant sides in the league, and they'll press quickly to force mistakes.

None of their squad had scored in any of their previous 11 league games until they came up against Derby earlier in the season. ☹️

Just sayin. 

14 minutes ago, David said:

Fuming.

Take him out for a few pints, welcome him to becoming a man. 18, before anyone starts!

Give him a top to wear, you know, educate him.

Half way here on the train he pulls out that, could have kicked him off.

Found a suitable punishment though. Pint of Carling.

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

Could have been much worse, at least it wasn’t a tree!

Hope you both have a great day.

Edited by 61GT

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

None of their squad had scored in any of their previous 11 league games until they came up against Derby earlier in the season. ☹️

Just sayin. 

Thanks for the Just saying bit, thought you were just thinking it at first 😉