Finance

angieram

16 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

You have to take a balanced view, DC did gain an asset worth £81million for a £1 but he also inherited some liabilities, it appears some of those liabilities have been discharged.

Sorting out the mess takes time.

Picky but the asset is valued at that.  It is only worth what he can sell it for I suppose.

Just now, R@M said:

Does this imply that with the sale of Knight we might be close to breaking even this season/next accounting period? If that is the case then it is a phenomenal job by all at the club to be where we are in the table. 

I was wondering the same, thinking along the lines of a loss in the first 9 months as things were straightened out. There were then the sales of Knight and Bielik in the summer, sponsorship deals this year which we didn’t have previously, matchday revenue, season tickets etc etc….but the outgoings could also have gone up too.
I like the idea of the club being ran sustainably at the moment, sensible transfer investment within the club’s means like the rumoured fee for Blackett-Taylor, continuing focus on the academy, shrewder recruitment with a longer term view.
I fully embrace the idea the days of us spending big money on the back of the owner’s whims are a thing of the past. I know others might not feel the same. 

29 minutes ago, Malty said:

This might be true but given that there is no “disposals” in the year it might suggest that knight didn’t have a carrying value in the accounts. Hard to be sure without the details but perhaps knight had a £nil carrying value.

What we need is for Stephen Pearce to come up with a clever way of accounting for players residual values. 

As long as there were no big surprises for DC after admin, presumably any Bielik payments etc were known about, surely these numbers are to be expected by the company and prob more importantly the EFL. Presumably they have seen them before publication and are happy in accordance with what they expected coming out of admin and our business plan or cant imagine we would have been able to sign someone on a fee yesterday. 

cements my total admiration for DC and his family as they have gone from running a successful development company on a low key basis and enjoying being normal rams fans (if actually we can ever be normal) to taking all of this 💩on to deal with. Can you imagine the stuff he's had to deal with?  And after all that you have fans moaning about us not signing people, going over snd over the words the poor bloke said on the budget for this year forensically, and how terrible last January's window was, etc.

the accounts wont tell half the story but to me there are no words to describe what David Clowes and his family did for all of us, the club and the City. I also dont think we know just how close we were to being gone. Also in strange way grateful to Kirchner as if DC had not already been involved with knowledge of what was going on when just buying the stadium, would he have been in a position to act so quickly to save us? 

Respect always

Important to try and not read too much into the money lost within the first 9 months, which could be attributed to a large number of factors post-administration. The turnover of the club, despite being in League One (and considering 9 month term) is very healthy. It’s actually more than Sheff Wed achieved over 12 months of trading at this level. Significantly more than Ipswich, Bolton, etc. 

Gate receipts and sponsorship each £1m down on my original estimates, with 'other' £0.5m down. TV £0.5m up, hospitality about £200k up. Overall income is c£1.8m lower than expected, altough it is over a 9 month period rather than 12.

I can't accurately say what our wage bill was, but based on previous Clowes' Development wage bill, our club wages were about £10.25m, with £1.25m in pensions amd social security. This would match my original estimate. However, a 12 month period would mean I underestimated by quite a bit.

It looks like our total other expenses were about £10.5m, and we made a transfer profit of just under £1.5m, which results in the £6.8m loss.

57 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He was only on loan last year, the actual sale occurred in July 2023, which is well after the year-end date in these accounts.  So I assume that accounts for the lack of disposal. 

And I can't see what else it could have been anyway, of the only guys we've paid real money for in the last few years (Lawrence, Jozwiak and Bielik), he was the only one left when we were sold.

No, on regelation you’re probably right. But that does mean that Bielik has a carrying value of £2m in our accounts. 

I suspect we made a loss on disposal of him then, which might offset anything we made on knight.

There will be a lot more detail in the Derby County (Rams) accounts, which aren't due for some time, as I presume they will follow the usual football year end of 30th June. Clowes developments accounts follow a more traditional 31st March year end, hence the nine months turnover for the "new" subsidiary. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

There will be a lot more detail in the Derby County (Rams) accounts, which aren't due for some time, as I presume they will follow the usual football year end of 30th June. Clowes developments accounts follow a more traditional 31st March year end, hence the nine months turnover for the "new" subsidiary. 

I love its called Derby County (Rams) - just shows true fan after all the MM complicated cos here there and everywhere. Always a bad sign. Bet he's had to change his passwords though!

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree. Maguire, of course, goes for traffic-generating clickbait headline "highlights" without bothering to add context. That £19M repaid debt looks awfully like MM's loan from Dell, and the payment inherited football debt that wasn't due during the time of administration (Bielek and Jozwiak primarily I imagine) will probably have been paid off during the period covered by these accounts.

In the meantime, the usual bell-sniffs from other clubs will continue to show how dumb they are. 

Edited by Crewton

12 minutes ago, Malty said:

No, on regelation you’re probably right. But that does mean that Bielik has a carrying value of £2m in our accounts. 

I suspect we made a loss on disposal of him then, which might offset anything we made on knight.

Bielik was closer to £3m with the other 4 players having a combined £300k. Bielik would have been amortised by £1.5m each year. It means in the current accounting period, we will make a book loss of £0.5-1m on him - more than offset by the profit on Knight.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Gate receipts and sponsorship each £1m down on my original estimates, with 'other' £0.5m down. TV £0.5m up, hospitality about £200k up. Overall income is c£1.8m lower than expected, altough it is over a 9 month period rather than 12.

I can't accurately say what our wage bill was, but based on previous Clowes' Development wage bill, our club wages were about £10.25m, with £1.25m in pensions amd social security. This would match my original estimate. However, a 12 month period would mean I underestimated by quite a bit.

It looks like our total other expenses were about £10.5m, and we made a transfer profit of just under £1.5m, which results in the £6.8m loss.

£1.25M in pensions. Curtis Davis and co certainly didn't come cheap.

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

True. Didn't look at the date on the line item. 

So the interesting bit then becomes, all those free agents cost £1m in agent fees.

Seem to recall there was a large amount of historical agent debt to clear from Mels glory year.