Derby vs Wycombe Wanderers

B4’s Sister

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Wildsmith (who I feel adds to lack of intensity with his threats of playing it quickly to then going to calm down gestures) launches a poor kick at the end.

Very poor distribution from Joe yesterday. As an ex-keeper it’s the part of his game that I find most frustrating. Why we don’t leave NML or Barks up when defending corners, so he has a quick out ball is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Very poor distribution from Joe yesterday. As an ex-keeper it’s the part of his game that I find most frustrating. Why we don’t leave NML or Barks up when defending corners, so he has a quick out ball is beyond me.

It makes more sense for us to get it short from the keeper and play our way forward. The long ball is not effective. It just hands possession to the opponents.

Full back, midfield, wing should give us controlled possession further upfield.

It’s also better to watch 😊

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It makes more sense for us to get it short from the keeper and play our way forward. The long ball is not effective. It just hands possession to the opponents.

Full back, midfield, wing should give us controlled possession further upfield.

It’s also better to watch 😊

We couldn’t. Wycombe pushed onto the back 4. Problem is, Wildsmith either couldn’t hit it or didn’t trust the options to dunk it behind them. 

We were a bit rubbish, it was inevitable at some stage the winning run had to come to an end and at the very least we got a point from the game which is about as much as we deserved. Hopefully now that performance can serve as some motivation for the players to improve their levels on Thursday. This one always seemed like a banana skin to me.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

We couldn’t. Wycombe pushed onto the back 4. Problem is, Wildsmith either couldn’t hit it or didn’t trust the options to dunk it behind them. 

Agree that was the case sometimes. At others, we did have a defender to pass to. I think maybe the next pass wasn’t on as we never have a midfielder available for a triangle. Just feels that Wildsmith, at times, is just is on auto pilot at launches high balls about 5 yards over the halfway line to the touchline. Rarely has a good end result. 

i get the feeling of a rinse and repeat of last season,where warne was forced into changes through injury and hit on a formula that took us on an unbeaten run,but couldn't wait to get back to his preferred 3 at the back that had been failing before the forced change and ultimately cost us a chance of the play offs.here we are again,on a good run through forced changes,yet trying the stuff that hasn't worked now we have a few players back.the football has not been good this season,but i am prepared to endure it whilst picking up points,but it looks as though warne has learnt very little from last season,and is happy to go back down the same route

What I saw was a team who came for a point, they celebrated after as if they had just won at wembley. We always find it hard against teams who do this. 

The ref didn't help by booking so many so early, I noted several tackles which were shied away from later, spoils it really because its those 50/50's which get the crowd and the team going.

Why did he trip the player at the end he was running straight at Joe who for me had a really good chance of saving

Game management my ar$e

Coming back it felt like we had lost, never mind on to Lincoln wonder what their

game plan will be 🤐

Edited by silverback

The ref was terrible, had too big an impact on the game and the way it was played and had no control at all. In complete contrast to her performance at PPS last season when she was the best ref we had by some distance.

We played poorly but almost got away with 3 points.

Wycombe went down in my estimations, which is saying something.

On to the next one…

Don't think that performance was as bad as many others seem to - don't think recent performances have beens as good as many others seem to. 

Current form is still positive compared to early season - not just points per game but performances and entertainment.   It's hard to know where Warne is going with this squad - we change system during games every game let alone match to match.   If that's how he manages then if it works fine.   In a way you can credit him for reacting to the match in front of him - maybe it also contributes to a lack of patterns of play at times.   I'd like to see a more settled team but it's hard to pick a best 11.

55 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

I have often wondered why defending teams don’t leave a player (or two) up when defending corners. I can’t remember where I saw it, but I’m sure it was said by someone with some authority (so none of us on this forum then😀) that the reason is because it’s usually more advantageous to the defending team to have a packed penalty box. I might be making it up but I’m sure I read it somewhere.

6 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Don't think that performance was as bad as many others seem to - don't think recent performances have beens as good as many others seem to. 

Current form is still positive compared to early season - not just points per game but performances and entertainment.   It's hard to know where Warne is going with this squad - we change system during games every game let alone match to match.   If that's how he manages then if it works fine.   In a way you can credit him for reacting to the match in front of him - maybe it also contributes to a lack of patterns of play at times.   I'd like to see a more settled team but it's hard to pick a best 11.

Entertainment 🤔 We have ground out results bar two or three good wins, notably Barnsley and we had a great 25 mins at Posh, but would you say we have been playing attractive football 😊

10 minutes ago, AndyB said:

The ref was terrible, had too big an impact on the game and the way it was played and had no control at all. In complete contrast to her performance at PPS last season when she was the best ref we had by some distance.

We played poorly but almost got away with 3 points.

Wycombe went down in my estimations, which is saying something.

On to the next one…

Which booking or penalty decision did she get wrong?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Unable to pause that without the screen fuzzing out.  He was well off by the time he receives it (but that's irrelevant, obvs).  
As the header is flicked on?  I'm gonna go with a fuzzy-but-confident... ON-SIDE!

...Have to say, their peno taker coped very well under pressure, what with our North Stand Massive doing their utmost to put him off from behind the net.  Reminded me very much of Wilson at Elland Rd. 
(Obviously Leeds would have twirled more scarves.)  👀😉  

To quote PW...if we'd had managed the game in the last 2mins the penalty would never have happened...he did take it well tho 👍

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I have often wondered why defending teams don’t leave a player (or two) up when defending corners. I can’t remember where I saw it, but I’m sure it was said by someone with some authority (so none of us on this forum then😀) that the reason is because it’s usually more advantageous to the defending team to have a packed penalty box. I might be making it up but I’m sure I read it somewhere.

That is correct

I would also add that I have seen more breakaway goals from corners without leaving someone up, than from leaving 1 or 2 players up. 

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I remember Clough Jr used to leave two pacy players (the likes of Ward, Jacobs et al) right up on the halfway line, as wide as possible when defending a corner. They would both be stood where the touchline met the halfway line, on opposing sides of the pitch. Gave the other team something to think about, and meant they had to leave a couple of players back as well. Not sure it ever bore any fruit, but it was an interesting tactic.

I've not read the thread at all but I did watch the match. That result was nothing to do with shape or tactics. It was sheer incompetence from the players. Virtually all were guilty of under hit or over hit passes the whole game and as for game management what a laugh..... Why the hoof up field for the ball to come straight back when white shirts were available? Incompetence by the players, total incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've not read the thread at all but I did watch the match. That result was nothing to do with shape or tactics. It was sheer incompetence from the players. Virtually all were guilty of under hit or over hit passes the whole game and as for game management what a laugh..... Why the hoof up field for the ball to come straight back when white shirts were available? Incompetence by the players, total incompetence. 

Agreed. Everyone knows I’m not a Warne fan but that performance, particularly first half, was on the players. They were the ones who should’ve been booed off at half time. Total lack of effort and concentration on so many occasions.