Derby vs Fleetwood Town

B4’s Sister

Decent win. Nice finishes for all goals. 

TJJ .. quality. Hmmm. I’d be happy if he stayed fit for the rest of the season and just played the last 20 mins in each game!  

Wilson is having a really good season. Always catches the eye and works hard. He’s only going to get better. 

I think the people that are criticising/ridiculing those that have raised concerns or still aren’t convinced by Warne are being a bit keen. 

it’s not unusual for someone to point out the odd error or ask for more. That’s ok. It really is. even if we did win 3-0. 

no one has been rude, offensive or totally unreasonable. They’re voicing their opinions and views…cough..  the point of the forum. 

the ‘non moaners’ are getting a little snide in my opinion. There’s lots to be happier about for sure. Injured players coming back, the football has improved, we are getting results and scoring goals. 
but there is still plenty that we could improve in and 
Warne hasn’t convinced me or a fair few others (no idea how to quantify) and it’s ok if we say it. You don’t have to agree or like it. You also don’t have to shoot it down. 
same as the ‘moaners’ shouldn’t ridicule or be rude to the ‘non moaners’ 

good to see ward back and again showing that he can impact us up front. With Nyambe only here til Jan and away at the African cup of nations if he extends his context with us it would be useful for  Ward to have been involved in some games. Before he got injured he was playing well I thought. 

it’s a shame elder is struggling with injury as I’d like to see more of him (no clue if he’s good or not) and give Fozzie a rest. 

Watched on tv, as i did not get back from work an till 6PM, good to see Vickers get some minutes, and pulled off a decent save, and seemed to command his area well, glad to see Jo Ward get some minutes in, a good ball across for Collins 2nd goal, Collins put another good shift in, and got awarded with 2 goals, Bird was very good and Wilson also worked hard, took his man on, always positive and put some good balls in, Bradley also had a good commanding game, probably his best since he joined us, also great to see JJ come off a bench and score another very well taken goal, get him fit, and we could have one hell of a player on our hands. And winning is a great habit, lets keep this run going as long as possible and see where we are after new years day, lots to be positive about, so lets get behind the lads, and drive them on week after week, and see where it takes us. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

I don't know what Collins has to do, to please some people, there some moaning about his MOM award. He was excellent tonight, he popped up all over the park, including tracking back and not doing any reckless challenges. His first goal was a brilliant reaction to a miss hit shot and I suspect that for his second, he told offside JJ to leave it, so he could finish it. He could have had a further 2 goals with a bit of luck, one hit the keeper and the other beating the keeper, only for it to be cleared off the line.

Similarly, Bradley also had a very good game, his best yet. I've noticed that his best performances have all come in this competition and it could be for a number of reasons, quality of opposition, small crowds reducing pressure on him and also him playing on the left side.

Too many people can't bring themselves to give credit where credit is due, constantly desperately looking for the tiniest thing to justify their point of view.

There were players who, I feel didn't have their best game tonight, but I'll keep that to myself.

10 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Decent win. Nice finishes for all goals. 

TJJ .. quality. Hmmm. I’d be happy if he stayed fit for the rest of the season and just played the last 20 mins in each game!  

Wilson is having a really good season. Always catches the eye and works hard. He’s only going to get better. 

I think the people that are criticising/ridiculing those that have raised concerns or still aren’t convinced by Warne are being a bit keen. 

it’s not unusual for someone to point out the odd error or ask for more. That’s ok. It really is. even if we did win 3-0. 

no one has been rude, offensive or totally unreasonable. They’re voicing their opinions and views…cough..  the point of the forum. 

the ‘non moaners’ are getting a little snide in my opinion. There’s lots to be happier about for sure. Injured players coming back, the football has improved, we are getting results and scoring goals. 
but there is still plenty that we could improve in and 
Warne hasn’t convinced me or a fair few others (no idea how to quantify) and it’s ok if we say it. You don’t have to agree or like it. You also don’t have to shoot it down. 
same as the ‘moaners’ shouldn’t ridicule or be rude to the ‘non moaners’ 

good to see ward back and again showing that he can impact us up front. With Nyambe only here til Jan and away at the African cup of nations if he extends his context with us it would be useful for  Ward to have been involved in some games. Before he got injured he was playing well I thought. 

it’s a shame elder is struggling with injury as I’d like to see more of him (no clue if he’s good or not) and give Fozzie a rest. 

Comparing a player to a donkey seems pretty rude to me!

23 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So if its not a predictor for a single game, why quote the figures for a single game rather than some longer average .... though that would be even more pointless.

It doesn't "predict" games. It does however show how games have gone. City and Spurs drew 3-3 at the weekend, Spurs had an xG of 0.5 and city had one of around 3. If you watched, that was because city dominated the game and missed several sitters, and spurs were massively clinical. You wouldn't just get that from the scoreline or shots on target. If you don't see it's use, you're willfully looking the wrong way. 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Mate, folk aren't really wanting explanations because their minds are already made up and frankly, if folk can't see a use for statistical analysis in sports, then you're wasting your time trying to explain it. 

Yeah, I'm fighting a losing battle with many on here. Going to try keep fighting the good fight, purely because I think it's an interesting way to view our performances with biases removed, but I accept it'll always be dismissed by a lot of posters as it seems to make them irrationally angry or annoyed, not entirely sure why! 

13 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

I’d venture to suggest that “interesting” is subjective - I don’t find “expected goals” interesting at all. I prefer to go to games and watch them, taking home my own interpretation of whether we were unlucky not to win by two or three, managed to sneak a draw when outplayed for large parts, or hit by a sucker punch having dominated. You can call a scientific interpretation of my view Xg, xG, banana and custard or whatever you fancy, I’d call it 50-plus years of watching the game and generally “having a feel” about it post match. 

I’m quite happy with that.

As for “useful” - probably for those who don’t watch many games and the sports scientist’s approach, but I don’t watch a game for that - I watch it for the “feeling”, the camaraderie, the emotions.

No issues with the xG apostles, just not my personal cup of tea.

And we all have of our interpretation of the games, which is of course valid. But the exact reason I personally find xG interesting as it removes my personal bias away and provides more objectivity, which I find makes it very useful. 

Fair enough if it isn't your personal cup of tea. 

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And we all have of our interpretation of the games, which is of course valid. But the exact reason I personally find xG interesting as it removes my personal bias away and provides more objectivity, which I find makes it very useful. 

Fair enough if it isn't your personal cup of tea. 

What's the point of that? Without personal bias, there would be very little excitement or interest left.

Just watched the highlights and 3 things came to mind.

Can someone give Collins a fixture list with all games listed 'EFL Trophy'

Good to see some youngsters get game time.

Finally, if Cashin goes, can we re-sign Marriott at CB. The tackle when they looked like equalising was good, but the clearing diving header was even better. Just managed to get it clear of the near post 

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I hope to God we can keep JJ fit and beyond January because he's the instinctive finisher that this team has lacked. 

And for the Collins haters - he worked his ass off again tonight.

5 wins on the trot.

Agreed about JJ and Collins, but if you’re including the EFL trophy I’m afraid you also have to include the FA Cup loss 😅

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

I hope to God we can keep JJ fit and beyond January because he's the instinctive finisher that this team has lacked. 

And for the Collins haters - he worked his ass off again tonight.

5 wins on the trot.

Collins offers a lot to the team.  He works so hard off the ball.  There was on bit in around the 38th minute when he tracked back from his CF position to be virtually in the RB position to provide cover and stop a Fleetwood attack - @Owen87ITK mentioned it in his commentary.

Personally, I’d start him every game.  As a lone striker he makes the defence work hard, creates space, tires them (both mentally and physically) and, contrary to popular opinion, he does score goals.  The likes of JJ can replace him with fresh legs and exploit a tired defence.  In a pair, he creates the space and does the hard work to allow his partner to take advantage.

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Completely disagree. If, by some miracle, we went up this year, we have most of a team out of contract and will be able to replace from a much better pool of players available to us.

You don’t refuse promotion over some notion you aren’t “ready”. You get up by any means necessary and stay there by the same methods. 

Twice before, with us in the playoffs, I've thought to myself we're not ready to go up and maybe 1 year later would be better 

Once we did go up, proceeded by the record low points total,the other we v narrowly didn't and haven't got as close again.

What do we conclude from this?... F&%k knows, maybe just that football hates us