Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

So, basically, nothing but an open goal counts as a chance.

I bet Paul Clement has wet dreams about this stuff.

Scoff at data all you want, that's what all the top clubs operate with. You were the one to mention shots on target as an accurate barometer of chance creation, xG is a far superior metric, you just don't like the answer it gives. 

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

xG never has been and never will be a valuable statistic.

We scored a goal and 9 times out of 10 the deflected shot from Fornah goes in, so how does that translate to 0.7 expected goals?

That sort of thinking is why clubs like Derby are in the 3rd division while clubs like Brighton are playing in Europe.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some absolute drivel in this thread, from those so desperate for Warne to fail.

Utterly pathetic.

I can't fathom it at all, especially as some of those screeching the worst are the same folk that told us all he would be a L1 cheat code. Way too many chip pissers out there too, though they are slightly less tedious.

Anyway, back on topic, loving looking at this:

image.thumb.png.2e86f8557c712f87795ae1cadfad69e5.png

It's tightening up at the top and if we win our next game we'll be the most in-form team in the division, with 5 wins from from our last 5 games. It's fair to say that we've still a bit to prove, but it still feels pretty sweet right now and a good window could see us right in the mix.

COYR

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Scoff at data all you want, that's what all the top clubs operate with. You were the one to mention shots on target as an accurate barometer of chance creation, xG is a far superior metric, you just don't like the answer it gives. 

The problem is mate that us older lads know that promotion from this league does not rely on stats. It relies on team spirit, hard work and a bit of luck (after the last few years that's one thing we hopefully have in the bank). Many of us wax lyrical about Bobby Davison and Phil Gee firing us to glorious promotions yet often the games were bloody hard work with just an occasional flash of brilliance....like NML's superb pass to the young lad tonight.

The Rams are going up 🐏

Great goal from JJ tonight. Great pass from NML and the movement to attack the space between the sticks was perfect. 

I get why people say we are a no9 off being in with a shout. But I can’t help feel we are crying out for someone to be able to sit, break up play and dictate the tempo in the middle of the park. 

That’s the missing link for me, I just want John Eustace back. Not as manager, Warne in (for now 😉)

We create enough to score anyway and we’d create more if we controlled the game a little more. But it’s league 1 and is what it is I guess. 

For what it’s worth I think Bird would much better at this than in the no10-ish role he’s been playing 

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The problem is mate that us older lads know that promotion from this league does not rely on stats. It relies on team spirit, hard work and a bit of luck (after the last few years that's one thing we hopefully have in the bank). Many of us wax lyrical about Bobby Davison and Phil Gee firing us to glorious promotions yet often the games were bloody hard work with just an occasional flash of brilliance....like NML's superb pass to the young lad tonight.

The Rams are going up 🐏

It doesn't rely on stats, but it's a good way to judge performance, which makes it a useful way to build a discussion. It's about the performances on the field, if we get that right then the data will reflect. It's what we all want! 

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So what would the Xg of Garnacho's goal for Man Utd on Sunday have been?  - very small one would judge, yet it was a superb goal. Can't think of any interview with Premier League coaching staff where I have ever heard them use Xg to rate a performance.  Its not a good statistic because there are too many variables which determine the quality of play. Xg measures "something" but that  is only a limited part . How many variables are actually used when computing the Xg  values?

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That sort of thinking is why clubs like Derby are in the 3rd division while clubs like Brighton are playing in Europe.

We're in the 3rd division as the previous owner put us into administration. The EFL then took a chance to stick the boot in by stopping us keeping a 40 year old player, whilst allowing others under embargo to bring in large scale loan reinforcement and also stopped us giving proper contracts to kids on minimal wage that would have  expedited a swifter return on relegation, whilst dumping 9 more points of deduction based on accounting rules that didn't exist.  They followed this up by allowing a couple of chancers to go the faux 'revenge' mission, holding up any sale that may have given us a chance and forcing a sale of the best youngsters and Shinnie for some magic beans.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So what would the Xg of Garnacho's goal for Man Utd on Sunday have been?  - very small one would judge, yet it was a superb goal. Can't think of any interview with Premier League coaching staff where I have ever heard them use Xg to rate a performance.  Its not a good statistic because there are too many variables which determine the quality of play. Xg measures "something" but that  is only a limited part . How many variables are actually used when computing the Xg  values?

Infinitesimally small. You are fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose. There will always be instances of amazing goals scored that will defy the model, you can't account for anomalys. 999/1000 Garnacho either doesn't connect with the ball or misses by miles. It's about the long run, generally teams in the long run finish close to their xG position. 

Premier League teams all have data scientists working in them. It isn't necessarily the coaches, but the recruitment teams, the analysts, the scouts. It's in everything in elite football, whether you see that or not. 

The variables depends on the model, there are different ones. The variables themselves are subjective sure, but we don't have a better metric to view a game without just watching the full 90. No other stat provides as useful of an insight. Nobody pretends it's perfect, but hey it's better than nothing.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Ok, explain to a dinosaur wtf is xG. 

Wouldn’t worry Utch, just back, the simple facts of tonight.

We scored 1 more goal than Vale ever looked likely to, their keeper was their man of the match (tells you all you really need to know), we’re 6 points of the autos, so I reckon tonight was xtra good myself.

Parking reservations about Warne, ignoring Crewe, Rams on a roll and going up.

Good hard fought win tonight, a big shout out to our centre backs, for me the best pairing in the division, both Cashin and Nelson where again outstanding, fewest goals conceded in the division, our centre backs are rock solid, and a great goal to boot, for me a deserved win, there goalie was the busiest keeper on the pitch, 4 wins in a row now, a good christmas period could see us banging on the door of the top 2, also thought Wilson was very good tonight, is very positive and put 3 or 4 very decent crosses in. 

3 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

It’s the same type of pretentious bulls**t that turns a white painted rectangle on the grass into a “technical area”. An attempt to make pundits like Jamie Caragher seem intelligent (ha ha), but in reality, completely useless.

I managed to play, watch and understand football for over 50 years without xG. Just wondered if i've missed out on some wisdom that would have made me a better player or fan?