Derby County Versus Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 - Match Day Thread ( EFL Trophy )

S8TY

Interesting game for a few reasons

Great to see some young lads trusted in the first team (sort of)

I can see Weston being elevated above Browne when we need back up now - nice goal and assist

Robinson needs more sub appearances/experience to develop further but as suspected has something about him

Nice to see others just not looking out of place. i Always love the complete lack of fear some youngsters seem to bring.

Good to get minutes and fitness into a few senior players too

Despite his defensive frailties I like Wilson - going forward he's a good player, always got a trick in him, much like NML, and is one of those that can create chaos for the opposition. I'd definitely be training him as a winger though.

Elder looks much improved of late, I think Fozzy needs a rest (at least from playing full back) so hope to see him start making that his own. Although I wouldn't object to Wilson for that matter, depending on the opposition.

And finally Collins, I know he's not everyone's favourite but he is still the most instinctive poacher and best finisher at the club and for that reason, especially when we aren't scoring, he needs to be starting. I feel he and Washington could be a good partnership.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Brilliant night. And what was satisfying wasn’t that we outplayed the Wolves babies virtually all match, or that Collins got a load of goals, or that Wilson played a blinder, It was seeing what we have got in the under-21s and under 18s. Absolutely wow! I know it was only in the Nobody Cares Cup, but remember, our academy was stripped bare by administration, so to see this potential is exciting.

We didn't even name any U18/U21 full backs or wingers in the squad tonight, presumablydue to a lack of depth available for thr upcomign FA Youth Cup fixture. Robinson (CM), Osayande (CB) and Cox (CB) all playing at full back. Our first team players occupied the other wide positions during the game.

Games like tonight are extremely valuable to the youngsters and management, as it's only in these situations when you can see how close a player is to being ready for mens football. For example, I would say Cox, DRobinson, Fapetu and Weston all showed a level of composure to show they're ready. Whilst DBrown reminds me of Whittaker when he was introduced in to the first team 1 year too soon.

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Did Elder play the full 90 mins? If so I think that’s important. Loads of time for Fozzy, but he’s not been at his best in recent weeks so having an option to rest him/push him for his place could prove important as the fixtures come thick and fast. 

Elder played very well on the left and was my pick for best player in the first half. Moved to CB for the final 20 mins when Bradley came off.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Probably an unnecessary observation though. I think most of us know full well that, by and large, the U21 teams competing in this competition are no match for the league teams and we’re not celebrating as if we’ve just beaten Man City.

It becomes necessary because someone always has to use results / performance against such opposition as an excuse to slag off other fans.

It leads to people feeling the need to remind them of the opposition, which gets turned back on them with accusations that they're, as you say,  not just enjoying the win!

You mentioned just enjoying it in moderation but considering the quality of opposition is surely doing just that, more so than those acting like beating Wolves U21s or Northampton has proven everyone who's 'anti-Warne' a fool?

Enjoyed that. Important not to get carried away given the youthful opposition but I really liked the impact of the Academy lads, especially with not watching the under 21s regularly. I would like a very similar line up for the knock out stages to continue their development.

Fapetu & Robinson both looked very comfortable all night - didn't realise Robinson could play at the back but he looked very accomplished, physical & timed his challenges well. Fapetu was all energy, very quick feet & loved his attitude - that effort from 40 yards out showed he was there to make an impression. Felt bit sorry for Brown who had his runout when we were struggling to create first half, in contrast to Weston who looked dynamite against the tiring Wolves defence second half - fabulous finish for his goal, great pop pass for Collins' 3rd & generally caused panic in their back line.

What struck me overall was how comfortable all the lads looked in possession - that & their obvious energy meant Wolves were overwhelmed that last half hour. If that's the future blueprint for the first team in 18-36 months, I'm absolutely in.

Of the older lads, thought Fornah was quietly excellent, Wilson was noticeably excellent & pleased for Collins - his second & third were fantastic finishes.

What we played tonight was how I hoped we would have used this competition, a blend of first team who need minutes and academy players.

The academy players wouldn't have gained a huge amount from who they played against, as that is normally their level, but in terms of who they played with, benefits the whole club.

Would we have done this if this match wasn't against an under 21 side and we weren't already through? Something tells me no but I hope those who impressed get their chance again soon and we build on this.

Which kind of sums up my thoughts on Derby under Warne, when we do something well I want to see us build from that!

44 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

You mentioned just enjoying it in moderation but considering the quality of opposition is surely doing just that, more so than those acting like beating Wolves U21s or Northampton has proven everyone who's 'anti-Warne' a fool?

Only nobody is doing that so yeah, the constant and inevitable, "oh they're the worst ever (insert the timeframe)" is unnecessary and tedious. It's every single time we win without fail, so whether it has every even been true or not gets lost in the rush for some Warne detractors scrambling to piss on folks' chips. 

Edited by Comrade 86

Lots of positives.

Confidence for Collo, with a perfect hat-trick, beautifully taken.

Minutes for Elder, who we really need to win Fozzy's shirt.

Lovely debut for Fapetu.

Skills masterclass from Wilson.

Some nice cameos off the bench.

One caveat: it was an u21 team we beat.

One negative...how did Bradley get underneath that header?

4 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

Lots of positives.

Confidence for Collo, with a perfect hat-trick, beautifully taken.

Minutes for Elder, who we really need to win Fozzy's shirt.

Lovely debut for Fapetu.

Skills masterclass from Wilson.

Some nice cameos off the bench.

One caveat: it was an u21 team we beat.

One negative...how did Bradley get underneath that header?

Been watching Paul Williams -How to clear the ball and influence play off finals - circa 94

19 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Only nobody is doing that so yeah, the constant and inevitable, "oh they're the worst ever (insert the timeframe)" is unnecessary and tedious. It's every single time we win without fail, so whether it has every even been true or not gets lost in the rush for some Warne detractors scrambling to piss on folks' chips. 

Yes they bloody are 🤣, or else I'd not have anything to reply to.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Weston has played 20 odd games of men’s football up in Scotland and is 2 years older. Quite a lot of difference at that age. 

Is that so? It shows to be honest. I liked him chasing the ball back down after losing it, shows that aggression you need in senior football. I felt Brown was doing too much standing around waiting for things it happen, rather than showing for the ball and making a nuisance of himself. He might still be the better prospect of the two, but he has to realise nobody will make things happen or do his work for him.

How many times have you watched them in the academy? Brown is doing really well and that's why people have been clamouring for him to be considered for the first team. Weston, who is a couple of years older, has also settled in and done well this month. But don't make your mind up on just one game otherwise Collins has sealed his place for the rest of the season tonight after being slagged off on here by many for the past few months. Brown's not lazy and usually it's him that makes things happen, more so than those around him.