Derby County Versus Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 - Match Day Thread ( EFL Trophy )

S8TY

Wednesday 8th November  

Pride Park Stadium  - Kick Off 19:00

Opponents    Wolverhampton Wanderers U21

Current Group Standings 

P   W   D   L    GD   PTS

1 Derby County            2   2     0   0    3       6

2 Lincoln City               2   1     0    1    0       3

3 Wolves                      2    1    0     1    -1      3

4 Notts County            2    0   0    2     -2     0

So after a close FA Cup 1st round battle at Crewe we move onto the EFL Trophy against Wolves U21 at Pride Park.

I never quite know what to make of these sort of games but for me just reminds me of the level we are currently at ( we really do need to get out of this division !!) I have to admit i have not taken much interest in this competition so far this season but we look like we will progress in the tournament .

This game will no doubt give Paul Warne a chance to try a few players out with the main priority being the big game on saturday at home to Barnsley.

So i expect quite a few changes including Vickers in goal and maybe starts for Sibley,Fornah and a few others who have not played as much recently.

I think this game has probably come to early to give Thommo and JJ a run out although Warne has said they are both back running on the grass.

Hopefully for continuity it would be nice to stay on our unbeaten run and go into the game on saturday in a positive way.

Apologies for lack of stats on Wolves U21 but I will be back on form for the Barnsley yardstick tester on saturday after we win this game 

COYR

Edited by S8TY

I'm so torn with how I feel about big clubs having their kids in this trophy. I fully agree to having the kids get experience, but why premier league only? Our academy were winning titles but they weren't allowed to play, as the parent club were in the championship. The whole idea just sort of stinks to me.

That being said, we should be beating these comfortably. Anything less than a win won't be good enough, despite how Warne would try and spin a late equaliser into "feeling like winning".

3 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I'm so torn with how I feel about big clubs having their kids in this trophy. I fully agree to having the kids get experience, but why premier league only? Our academy were winning titles but they weren't allowed to play, as the parent club were in the championship. The whole idea just sort of stinks to me.

That being said, we should be beating these comfortably. Anything less than a win won't be good enough, despite how Warne would try and spin a late equaliser into "feeling like winning".

I'm not torn.  It's an embarrassment and I'd play our U21'S.

51 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

A draw would see us through to the knockout stage.