Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

I’d just like to see a Derby County team that doesn’t look terrified at the prospect of scoring a goal.

Even our centre forwards often go a whole game without a shot.

That seems to have been the case for years. We had Tom Lawrence as our major threat, then McGoldrick but few others you would expect to score.

Basically the same setup I've been wanting for a while.

Was tempted to have Wilson in over Nyambe purely for attacking output, coming to conclusion that I'm not a fan of starting we Nyambe and Forsyth at full back as it almost feels like we are starting with 4 centre backs at times, so one has to change.

I think Fornah and Bird could work brilliantly as a double pivot, Bird always benefits from someone to do the dirty work next to him and both are capable of playing with the ball.

Waghorn up front as he might succeed in holding the ball up, don't think Collins is capable of playing as the lone striker.

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Elder

Fornah Bird

NML SIbley Barkhuizen

Waghorn

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah, but that was with Nyambe behind him, my point was linked to what Roymac said about having Wilson playing behind Sibley. 
Harsh on Nyambe I know but I just feel we need something different in the final third so would go with something like;

Wildsmith

Wilson    Nelson    Cashin    Forsyth

Fornah

Bird       Hourihane

Sibley                                    Barkhuizen

Waghorn

It’s not what we’ll get, but I’d fancy that team to do well and score a couple. Fornah screens the back 4, Wilson pushes on to attack and help Sibley find space, Waghorn to make intelligent runs either to pick up through balls from Bird and Hourihane or to create space for others to shoot from, Bird and Hourihane alternate who gets forward to support the attack (or both do?). The options also there for Sibley, Barkhuizen and Waghorn to rotate to a point. There’s then the likes of Ward, Washington, Collins, NML, Smith, Elder all able to come off the bench to contribute. 

Yeah sorry, I skimmed the Wilson point  and didn’t really take it in.

It’s a fair point and it might work. I get the feeling they might get in each others way, as Wilson like to go either way and sometimes holds on the ball too long. 

It could be an experiment worth trying in a game like tonight where we should be on the front foot.

That said I still think you either play Sibs at no 10 or as an impact sub and he needs to play behind Waghorn or TJJ if he’s ever fit

Edited by Ramarena
Forgot wags

17 minutes ago, Archied said:

Formation ? Set up ? Don’t think it comes into it tonight , warne has to pick what he feels is his best eleven and send them out to batter them from the first whistle to the last and the instruction no matter what just ducking win and the players need to really want to do that for him ,they are good enough to sort it out once over the white line ,,,, sometimes needs must and it’s that simple , we see lesser players do that to us all too often 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you suggesting that Warne doesn’t normally send out what he feels to be his best 11, and that the players haven’t been fighting at their best for their manager this season?  

25 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’m not so keen.

Shrewbury’s LB had him completely worked out. He just showed him down the line and shut off the cut inside. 

That left Sibs with the option of bursting down the right and trying to cross on his weaker foot, which he doesn’t have the pace for so didn’t try.

In the end he lost the ball a number of times through indecision or poor control. 

He’s clearly not comfortable out there against players/teams who work out he wants to cut inside at every opportunity. He needs to be central or maybe on the left, otherwise he’s an impact sub.

Whilst I don't like him playing on the wing, only Barkhuizen had more shots on target, only Collins had more key passes, and only Nyambe had more successful dribbles. However, he gave the ball away less than Barkhuizen through being dispossessed or bad touches. He also had more accurate crosses than anyone else, making up 40% of our total, whilst matching Hourihane's crosses (which includes corners).

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’d just like to see a Derby County team that doesn’t look terrified at the prospect of scoring a goal.

Even our centre forwards often go a whole game without a shot.

That seems to have been the case for years. We had Tom Lawrence as our major threat, then McGoldrick but few others you would expect to score.

I was watching Tom Ince slotting them in for Derby on Sky Sports this morning. Strangely he was never too popular with the supporters. 

We didn't know when we were well off.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Barkhuizen has played the majority of his career on the right wing. He's had a short spell at CF, another short spell at RWB (the season before he joined us), and then spent last season at LW (and occasionally at LWB). I also recall him saying he doesn't actually like it at CF.

Barks is no CF he is too light weight and runs out of steam too easily to press for 60 mins. Agreed he is a good finisher but not any good with his back to goal. 

26 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Perhaps supporters should not do that then? We saved the Club with a show of unity and support. Clowes and his appointment Warne have been given about 15 months and tne pitchforks are out already. That minority of morons on Saturday abusing our Captain IMO do a lot of harm to morale and confidence. 

I don't think abusing the team is a good idea and that it steps over the line. I wouldn't blame people if they joined in a chorus of that though if same stuff is served up tonight 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whilst I don't like him playing on the wing, only Barkhuizen had more shots on target, only Collins had more key passes, and only Nyambe had more successful dribbles. However, he gave the ball away less than Barkhuizen through being dispossessed or bad touches. He also had more accurate crosses than anyone else, making up 40% of our total, whilst matching Hourihane's crosses (which includes corners).

Fair points.

Id say Barks is a low bar though, almost everything he touched on Sat seemed to turn to s****, outside of that decent 10 min spell he had in the first half.

Not surprised by the crossing stat. When he gets the opportunity to Sibs can put in some very useful crosses.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was watching Tom Ince slotting them in for Derby on Sky Sports this morning. Strangely he was never too popular with the supporters. 

We didn't know when we were well off.

I liked him cause he scored goals and didn't need many chances to do it. I'd accept the odd game where he didn't seem that arsed, for the majority of games where he could, as we had a hardworking if less headline grabbing swop in Weimann.  Now we have Wash For Collo.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I liked him cause he scored goals and didn't need many chances to do it. I'd accept the odd game where he didn't seem that arsed, for the majority of games where he could, as we had a hardworking if less headline grabbing swop in Weimann.  Now we have Wash For Collo.

I would imagine in the next 10 minutes @Kokosnuss will hit you with his Ince goals per shots ratio and it's not pretty reading. 

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

Lots of people predicting the atmosphere will turn toxic tonight, without acknowledging that the atmosphere is created by us, the fans.

We don't have to shout abuse or boo. And if a few fans do, we need to drown out their voices with ones of support. 

Have never booed our team or staff - really dont understand what fans think it will achieve. Also if PW goes how would it help attract the next victim?

23 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Barks is no CF he is too light weight and runs out of steam too easily to press for 60 mins. Agreed he is a good finisher but not any good with his back to goal. 

Nobody holds the ball up at the moment. It’s either drilled down the channels and crossed or you get the occasional defence splitter from Bird. Think Barks would score a hatful at CF.

This wouldn’t work for every game, but because Exeter are defensively fragile

Wildsmith

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin    Foz 

Fornah     Bird

Ward      Sibley.    Barks

Wags

NML would be the impact sub to replace Ward if things aren’t going as planned. With Hourihane to replace Sibs if he struggles.

Fornah would be the deeper midfielder giving Bird a bit of freedom to try and create and link up with Sibley and Wags

Edited by Ramarena

For what it's worth, I like the back 4... just need to find some structure in midfield.

Bird and Hourihane have played alongside each other regularly in the past (not that I was a fan at the time, but it was better than what we have now!)... Sibbo at number 10... give youth a chance with Dajaune Brown starting up front.

Wildsmith
Nyambe  Nelson  Cashin  Forsyth
                Bird  Hourihane
Mendez-Laing  Sibley  Barkhuizen
                       Brown

Oh and keep the round thing on the bloody ground ffs! 🤣 COYR 🐏