Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

2 minutes ago, KnowledgeisPorridge said:

If we lose tonight, he'll get the next game I am pretty sure of that.

Another poor away performance/loss on Saturday though, I could certainly see a change being made.

I don't subscribe to "we can't afford to sack him". There has to be a contingency in place. 

I'd actually wager he might resign if things don't significantly improve, he is that type of emotional guy.

An interesting one that. Certainly doesn't deal well with pressure. Would need much more negativity from the fans I think for him to resign.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not really getting Wilson.  He has no real positional sense or strength as a full back and seems to try and beat a player twice when in possession.  He isn't terrible as he has quick feet.  If he learnt to pass and move into space for a return more he'd probably be more effective.  I guess thats why a championship side let him go after a year though.  Quick feet were worth a gamble, if a quick brain can be added but they didn't see enough.   I do feel he was a 250k makeweight to get a deal done and allow a club always on an FFP knife edge the facility to free up wages to get the player they wanted, rather than a player we had particular interest in.   

I've certainly thought the same about him.  He's definitely not a regular fullback in a flat back 4 for sure.  But there's definitely a player in there somewhere, and honestly, he's the kind of signing we don't make enough of - cheap gambles that we might be able to polish into something.  Obviously you can't fill your whole team with them, but there's more long-term value in having a few of them around than just filling out your squad with 32-year old free transfers.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree with some of that, but when he played with Sibs in front of him it seemed to work well, one game against whoever, but I'd start him and Sibs for a home game against Exeter.

Keeping Sibley in that “right hand side of the attacking 3” sort of position? I think it’s a good shout. Nyambe offers solid defence but isn’t as much of a threat going forward, Wilson overlapping gives their left back a decision to make which might open space for Sibley to attack.
We need more dynamism going forward whatever the solution may be.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I agree with some of that, but when he played with Sibs in front of him it seemed to work well, one game against whoever, but I'd start him and Sibs for a home game against Exeter.

He had a really good half against Blackpool, despite the miss of the season. That's all I've seen good so far in terms of making a difference.  Maybe because they set up to play and that gave more space.   He has the look of a luxury player to brought on when your winning 3-0 to keep stretching a defence with pace when they're leaving gaps.   

Tuesday 25th October 2022, home to Exeter, the attendance was 24,640. Our lowest home gate of the season up until that point. It'll be interesting to see how the attendance compares tonight. It'll be a shame if we do drop below 24,000 for only the 2nd time since our relegation, as the players still deserve our support. But the general mood suggests a lot of STHs can't be bothered turning up at the moment. The recent weather and roads into Derby won't help either.

If we are trying to play an alternative to putting endless crosses in then players who can pass the ball and can also run at players will be key 

Just would love to see us play through the middle more! how many goals have been scored from crosses this season and how many crosses have we made, that would be a good stat

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He had a really good half against Blackpool, despite the miss of the season. That's all I've seen good so far in terms of making a difference.  Maybe because they set up to play and that gave more space.   He has the look of a luxury player to brought on when your winning 3-0 to keep stretching a defence with pace when they're leaving gaps.   

Seriously how can you tell? The longest run of games had to be those he got at fullback? There'll be fans saying Wilson needs time, but for some reason not Sibley? I have no idea what level he can play to, but one thing I am certain of is that he needs a run in a team not just a game here and there. He should have been sent out on loan to learn a forward position if Warne doesn't trust the best finisher in the Club!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seriously how can you tell? The longest run of games had to be those he got at fullback? There'll be fans saying Wilson needs time, but for some reason not Sibley? I have no idea what level he can play to, but one thing I am certain of is that he needs a run in a team not just a game here and there. He should have been sent out on loan to learn a forward position if Warne doesn't trust the best finisher in the Club!

I meant Wilson.  Re Sibley.  He needs a run of games at 10.  He's a more useful outlet there than Waghorn who weirdly would be better out wide than Sibley or playing ahead of him up top.  Round pegs.  Sibley has the smell of Ramage about him who never seemed to get enough time in the team or if he did not in the correct position under Pickerings multi million team of youngsters. He probably needs to go elsewhere and have a season as a 10 and he'll no doubt get a 1 in 3 average. 

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don't think there ever has been. 
Something to do with the lease agreement (With it being within the stadium building itself), and allowing the matchday caterers a fair crack... for something like 2 hours before kick off to 2 hours after the final whistle, (That branch of) Greggs has to close.

It may be 90 minutes? Not sure.  🤷‍♂️

EDIT:

I guess they close c. 1pm on a Saturday afternoon (3pm KO) and c. 6pm on a night match?  

Ah maybe I just get there later these day as I’m sure I remember it being open but I am getting a bit old too so could be I’m miss remembering 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I meant Wilson.  Re Sibley.  He needs a run of games at 10.  He's a more useful outlet there than Waghorn who weirdly would be better out wide than Sibley or playing ahead of him up top.  Round pegs.  Sibley has the smell of Ramage about him who never seemed to get enough time in the team or if he did not in the correct position under Pickerings multi million team of youngsters. He probably needs to go elsewhere and have a season as a 10 and he'll no doubt get a 1 in 3 average. 

I thought Wilson looked better at fullback than I thought he'd manage. Maybe because he had Nelson as CB and Sibs in front for support. But I'd rather persevere with him as fullback although how to stop him over-playing and tackling himself?! 😄

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Consecutive league starts in central midfield (CM or AM according to Transfermarkt) since his league debut:

19/20: 3 games (3 goals and 1 assist)
19/20: 3 games (1 assist)
22/23: 2 games
22/23: 2 games
22/23: 2 games (2 goals)
22/23: 4 games

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I only ask this going by some of the stuff I've been reading on Twitter/some of the comments on last night's Sportscene Talk-In;

But do people think that, if we lose this game, that's it for Warne?

Personally I think it’s pretty close

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought Wilson looked better at fullback than I thought he'd manage. Maybe because he had Nelson as CB and Sibs in front for support. But I'd rather persevere with him as fullback although how to stop him over-playing and tackling himself?! 😄

I reckon he's basically in the same position Sibley was when played at fullback.  In games where he doesn't have to do much defending (either they just sit 10 men behind the ball and we attack all game, or they play wingbacks and he's basically a spare man) he's going to be fine - he can get forward without worrying too much about defending.  But in games where he does have to be solid defensively, I think he'll get found out pretty quickly.  If we can predict which games will be which, then go for it (and it's mostly going to be home games against "lesser" teams where's he's ok, so it shouldn't be toooo hard), but I do worry teams will start to target him if he plays there a lot.  Which I think they were starting to do when Sibley was there regularly.

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Keeping Sibley in that “right hand side of the attacking 3” sort of position? I think it’s a good shout. Nyambe offers solid defence but isn’t as much of a threat going forward, Wilson overlapping gives their left back a decision to make which might open space for Sibley to attack.
We need more dynamism going forward whatever the solution may be.

I’m not so keen.

Shrewbury’s LB had him completely worked out. He just showed him down the line and shut off the cut inside. 

That left Sibs with the option of bursting down the right and trying to cross on his weaker foot, which he doesn’t have the pace for so didn’t try.

In the end he lost the ball a number of times through indecision or poor control. 

He’s clearly not comfortable out there against players/teams who work out he wants to cut inside at every opportunity. He needs to be central or maybe on the left, otherwise he’s an impact sub.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I only ask this going by some of the stuff I've been reading on Twitter/some of the comments on last night's Sportscene Talk-In;

But do people think that, if we lose this game, that's it for Warne?

I could see him walking if the ground starts erupting in 'you don't know what you're doing' chants or the 'paul warne, your football is s***' come out again.

Formation ? Set up ? Don’t think it comes into it tonight , warne has to pick what he feels is his best eleven and send them out to batter them from the first whistle to the last and the instruction no matter what just ducking win and the players need to really want to do that for him ,they are good enough to sort it out once over the white line ,,,, sometimes needs must and it’s that simple , we see lesser players do that to us all too often 🤷🏻‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If we’re playing Sibs at no 10 then I’d much prefer to see Waghorn playing striker, his link up play is alright and his positional intelligence is much better than Collins.

Id wager Sibley would have much more joy playing behind Waghorn than Collins

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’m not so keen.

Shrewbury’s LB had him completely worked out. He just showed him down the line and shut off the cut inside. 

That left Sibs with the option of bursting down the right and trying to cross on his weaker foot, which he doesn’t have the pace for so didn’t try.

In the end he lost the ball a number of times through indecision or poor control. 

He’s clearly not comfortable out there against players/teams who work out he wants to cut inside at every opportunity. He needs to be central or maybe on the left, otherwise he’s an impact sub.

Yeah, but that was with Nyambe behind him, my point was linked to what Roymac said about having Wilson playing behind Sibley. 
Harsh on Nyambe I know but I just feel we need something different in the final third so would go with something like;

Wildsmith

Wilson    Nelson    Cashin    Forsyth

Fornah

Bird       Hourihane

Sibley                                    Barkhuizen

Waghorn

It’s not what we’ll get, but I’d fancy that team to do well and score a couple. Fornah screens the back 4, Wilson pushes on to attack and help Sibley find space, Waghorn to make intelligent runs either to pick up through balls from Bird and Hourihane or to create space for others to shoot from, Bird and Hourihane alternate who gets forward to support the attack (or both do?). The options also there for Sibley, Barkhuizen and Waghorn to rotate to a point. There’s then the likes of Ward, Washington, Collins, NML, Smith, Elder all able to come off the bench to contribute. 

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I could see him walking if the ground starts erupting in 'you don't know what you're doing' chants or the 'paul warne, your football is s***' come out again.

Perhaps supporters should not do that then? We saved the Club with a show of unity and support. Clowes and his appointment Warne have been given about 15 months and tne pitchforks are out already. That minority of morons on Saturday abusing our Captain IMO do a lot of harm to morale and confidence.