Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

I've argued that Warne is not the right man for us consistently for quite some time now, and in that time Ive tried to condense my argument down in to something as concise as possible in an effort to make it simple to understand.

I think it's as simple as this, do I enjoy watching Derby County play and do I feel like the personnel we have in place are suitable for the short, medium and long term ambitions of the club?

I currently do not enjoy watching Derby play. The performance levels are among the worst I've seen in my life outside of the 11 point season. In terms of our ambitions I will concede that in the short term Warne might get us promoted from L1, I believe that would be in spite of him not because of him. In the medium/long term I have absolutely no faith in his ability to take us beyond being a lower end, relegation threatened Championship team and we surely want more than that?

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've argued that Warne is not the right man for us consistently for quite some time now, and in that time Ive tried to condense my argument down in to something as concise as possible in an effort to make it simple to understand.

I think it's as simple as this, do I enjoy watching Derby County play and do I feel like the personnel we have in place are suitable for the short, medium and long term ambitions of the club?

I currently do not enjoy watching Derby play. The performance levels are among the worst I've seen in my life outside of the 11 point season. In terms of our ambitions I will concede that in the short term Warne might get us promoted from L1, I believe that would be in spite of him not because of him. In the medium/long term I have absolutely no faith in his ability to take us beyond being a lower end, relegation threatened Championship team and we surely want more than that?

Out of interest, which Derby sides have you enjoyed watching?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Teams playing football under Jim Smith, George Burley, Steve McLaren were all good to watch. 

The simple fact is that we are in the third tier and making hard work of it. I think our points total is higher than our performances have warranted. Warne might be the man to get us out of L1 (although that remains to be seen) but he is quite clearly not the man to take us any further than that.

A man as smart as Clowes must be able to see it. I refuse to believe he has a Paul Warne shaped blind spot.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Teams playing football under Jim Smith, George Burley, Steve McLaren were all good to watch. 

The simple fact is that we are in the third tier and making hard work of it. I think our points total is higher than our performances have warranted. Warne might be the man to get us out of L1 (although that remains to be seen) but he is quite clearly not the man to take us any further than that.

A man as smart as Clowes must be able to see it. I refuse to believe he has a Paul Warne shaped blind spot.

Only Jim got us promoted though. 

I’m happy for Warne to finish the season. But I would get rid regardless of the outcome.

Hopefully we get promoted, and we can thank Warne for his efforts and contribution in getting us back on track.

But if we don’t get promoted, he just can’t stay on. It’s an awful league, and this season in particular, the competition is so poor with the three relegated sides from last season all a mess.

If we can’t finish above Posh, Pompey and Bolton this season, we’ve got no chance of finishing above Wednesday or QPR next season.

Posh looked so much better than us the other week. There appeared to be a clear gulf. And to put into perspective, Posh would be a bottom six side in the Championship.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

on top of the obvious Burley and Mac… 

When things were good under Clough jnr I enjoyed that. Disappointed he was sacked - I’m not trigger happy with managers. 

when things were bad under Clough jnr I accepted that he was resorting to the football we were playing because he’d trimmed us down to a bottom 6 budget and just wanted to secure safety. 

Warne doesn’t have the same excuses. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

on top of the obvious Burley and Mac… 

When things were good under Clough jnr I enjoyed that. Disappointed he was sacked - I’m not trigger happy with managers. 

when things were bad under Clough jnr I accepted that he was resorting to the football we were playing because he’d trimmed us down to a bottom 6 budget and just wanted to secure safety. 

Warne doesn’t have the same excuses. 

Salary cap and enforced EFL business plan notwithstanding? Was Clough having flog players like Shinnie for two bob and would he have been able to renew contracts for Jags and the like? I'd argue that coming out of admin and a forced relegation, Warne's brief has been as tough as any in recent memory. Just my opinion, mind! 

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree but wonder if a proper analysis of warne can be done if it the players he wants to bring in the club can't afford.

He's dependent on what he's allowed to bring in based on budget. If your budgets restricted how can he strengthen the team in the way he might like.

I do think he's narrow minded on tactics. That might work in League one, and the current team might do OK in league but if we reach the championship.

He got Rotherham promoted to the championship, 3 times but he was also the manager when they were demoted twice from the championship. 

It might be possible to argue that Rotherham didn't have the strongest team and also didn't spend enough to strengthen when in the Championship.

Would derby be in a position to strengthen enough once in the Championship or will we do a Rotherham, a promotion followed by a demotion.

Many of the teams promoted via the play offs from league one were demoted very quickly.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m happy for Warne to finish the season. But I would get rid regardless of the outcome.

Hopefully we get promoted, and we can thank Warne for his efforts and contribution in getting us back on track.

But if we don’t get promoted, he just can’t stay on. It’s an awful league, and this season in particular, the competition is so poor with the three relegated sides from last season all a mess.

If we can’t finish above Posh, Pompey and Bolton this season, we’ve got no chance of finishing above Wednesday or QPR next season.

Posh looked so much better than us the other week. There appeared to be a clear gulf. And to put into perspective, Posh would be a bottom six side in the Championship.

Sorry but that is just insane. So, if we managed to grab one of the top two places, or even win the league, you’d get rid of Warne? Warne’s record in the Championship isn’t good but surely any manager that achieved automatic promotion deserves to be given a shot at the next league up. No doubt someone will regurgitate the fact that LR wasn’t given the chance but, as has been pointed out so many times, he was never appointed as manager.

I agree, Peterborough played us off the park at our place and we’ve not achieved those levels of performance this season (or perhaps we have - away at Oxford excluding the first 20 minutes?) but they only beat us by a single goal (in the 94th minute) and they didn’t when we play us off the park at Peterborough. 

Out of interest, how many Championship games (full games, not just the goals on the EFL highlights) do you watch to know that Posh would be bottom six?

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Salary cap and enforced EFL business plan notwithstanding? Was Clough having flog players like Shinnie for two bob and would he have been able to renew contracts for Jags and the like? I'd argue that coming out of admin and a forced relegation, Warne's brief has been as tough as any in recent memory. Just my opinion, mind! 

I think in the context of the league we are in, the current squad is stronger than any Clough had except for his last. 

There is quite a big drop off from championship to league 1. 

Warne has had money to spend.

7 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

👍 Totally.

Plus, and it has been pointed out, how does his football style affect the Academy? Who will he bring through to play in the first team? How will we take advantage of a Cat1 Academy and those new staff with their 'new, fancy' ideas?

8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So do you think the players we currently have now are as good as we had during the years you mentioned. The answer is emphatically NO. So why do you expect them to play like them. The fact is we no longer have money to throw around, have a shoestring budget currently and cannot afford the type of players you want. This is a time for patience, understanding and support for the Club/team - not beating everyone up because we are not as good as we were in the hay days. We were nearly “no longer” - people need to get realistic!.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Are we calling each other tvv*ts and 🛎️ends now?

How very junior schoolish!  

Reminds me of that funny story back when I was nine years old... etc... etc... and then we all shouted "Boobies" and ran off!  Great days!  😁

Funny how posters on here attack Warne for criticising the players. 

Is it because that’s OUR job?

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Are we calling each other tvv*ts and 🛎️ends now?

How very junior schoolish!  

Reminds me of that funny story back when I was nine years old... etc... etc... and then we all shouted "Boobies" and ran off!  Great days!  😁

Yep, it’s a bit sad, people on all sides of the conversation too entrenched in their own views to accept others have opposing views they’re entitled to and a handful then resorting to insults, it’s currently not the nice unified fan base or forum that it can be.

Reasons for that a plenty, but essentially we as individuals choose how to behave and engage with others and I think that’s being forgotten in the face of frustration. We’re all Derby and all that 🤷🏻‍♂️ 🐏