Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

57 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In general, 20% of crosses find a teammate and 10% of shots go in. That's 1 goal every 50 crosses. This season, we have averaged 25.0 crosses a game, scoring a total of 3 goals.

Almost like Fozzy is our only player able to score from a cross then? Simple solution, he must be played as a striker fom now on!

14 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

For what it’s worth I wouldn’t say I’m pro-Warne but I’m pro-stability as I do think give a manager time we’ll benefit in the long run.  But I’m wavering as to whether Warne is that manager.

This bit sums me up too

15 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Weather you spend it on wages or transfer fees, it's still from the same pot. 

Just because you spend more on a transfer, doesn't automatically mean they are a better signing.

true. it does seem that spending more on fees does allow you to buy potential. (players with a re sale value) spending it on wages seems to result in players with little sell on value but with proven experience in your league

3 minutes ago, swanny said:

true. it does seem that spending more on fees does allow you to buy potential. (players with a re sale value) spending it on wages seems to result in players with little sell on value but with proven experience in your league

It depends which markets you're shopping in tbh.  If you're signing people like Bradley Johnson, Scott Malone, Martyn Waghorn (first time round), there's clearly no resale value there either.  And there's plenty of potential to be found on frees, especially if you're looking at cast-offs from premier league academies, for example.

20 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

11:40 onwards in here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0grntp1

"Hopefully we'll be able to make subs, but not patronising the opposition, I'll only make subs if the game is completely out of control either way. If we're getting humped I might as well let the academy lads play and if we're winning comfortably I will."

One word - patronising.

He will never have any intention of using the academy - he doesn't care one bit about trying to develop players but that's because he doesn't have a clue about developing.

Rubbish coach - get rid. 

20 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

"Hopefully we'll be able to make subs, but not patronising the opposition, I'll only make subs if the game is completely out of control either way. If we're getting humped I might as well let the academy lads play and if we're winning comfortably I will."

And with that, he can fook right off.

20 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

What were your thoughts on Cocu? 

The reason I ask is because he was a massive proponent of youth progression, and yet I don't remember that affording him all that much leniency. That cup game against Forest where Cocu played as many youngsters as he could, he got absolutely slated by a lot afterwards for his selection. So I don't instantly buy the idea that if we'd played the youth and lost by the same score, the people criticising Warne would be any more lenient towards him, because I've seen historically this isn't necessarily the case.

Bradley was practically our marquee summer signing and needs minutes for his match fitness. I can understand the logic behind giving him that before the international break. There's also been times under Warne where ''giving players who weren't playing well, more time to continue'' has actually worked when the system has been tweaked.

I actually agree, it would have been good to see Weston play, but if we're playing whataboutism- what if he was entirely anonymous, could barely get a sniff, to the point it damaged his confidence? Surely that'd be bad management to introduce him to a game if this were to happen? Throwing youngsters into random games isn't automatically good for their development. I don't know either way, I just struggle making sweeping statements about internal circumstances I know very little about. 

I was a big fan of Cocu. He clearly had a plan. It took serious guts to pick the team he did in the league cup. I think had it been anyone other than Florest he wouldn't have got the flak he did. He gave youth minutes over experienced players. Had it not been for Covid, Bird, Knight and Sibley would have commanded big fees. He was exactly what those players needed, a good coach. I will maintain that he did a better (or at least equal job) as Lampard. We only scored 9 league goals fewer. However, luck and fate were against him for the second season. Will remain a what if for me.

21 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Well. That says it all really. I didn't need to type all my previous posts. That'll do pig, that'll do.

1 hour ago, swanny said:

there are plenty of examples where that isn't the case though

57 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

One word - patronising.

He will never have any intention of using the academy - he doesn't care one bit about trying to develop players but that's because he doesn't have a clue about developing.

Rubbish coach - get rid. 

Oh I'm sure you are just misinterpreting what he said in that interview. 😄

I also wonder what Clowes with his Cat1 Academy thinks. 

16 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

For what it’s worth I wouldn’t say I’m pro-Warne but I’m pro-stability as I do think give a manager time we’ll benefit in the long run.  But I’m wavering as to whether Warne is that manager.

We'd all love to keep a manager long term and have some proper stability. That doesn't mean we should just give that to anyone though, they have to be the right fit for our club. 

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh I'm sure you are just misinterpreting what he said in that interview. 😄

I also wonder what Clowes with his Cat1 Academy thinks. 

I can’t see that Matt Hale has moved home, left his family behind just to see his players have no pathway. 

Warne says he would play the academy boys if we had a healthy lead. The trouble is, he struggles to get his teams into a healthy lead 🤣

11 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I was a big fan of Cocu. He clearly had a plan. It took serious guts to pick the team he did in the league cup. I think had it been anyone other than Florest he wouldn't have got the flak he did. He gave youth minutes over experienced players. Had it not been for Covid, Bird, Knight and Sibley would have commanded big fees. He was exactly what those players needed, a good coach. I will maintain that he did a better (or at least equal job) as Lampard. We only scored 9 league goals fewer. However, luck and fate were against him for the second season. Will remain a what if for me.

Well. That says it all really. I didn't need to type all my previous posts. That'll do pig, that'll do.

I agree. Obviously we later found out he was hamstrung by the Rooney thing and other factors during his tenure, but in a parallel universe, I'd be fascinated to see what'd have happened if he could have turned form a little more and stayed on. The way he was trying to play was actually very progressive. 

Because I could see what Cocu was trying to do, heavy emphasis on fluid positional rotation, methodical progression by dominating possession etc., I vouched for him right until the end, as I felt it was failure of execution, rather than intrinsically poor management. Until it got to a point where his position seemed entirely untenable did I concede maybe he needed to go.

I feel like i'm in that same position with Warne now. Ideally I wanted Rosenior to stay, but the moment that decision is made, I felt like I should back and get behind the new manager. I knew we wouldn't be seeing fast-flowing, attractive football, nor would we be seeing youngsters utilised as often as under Cocu, or even Rooney. Warne has his strengths and it's pragmatic football that's especially effective at League 1 level. That's why i'm not judging him on academy inclusion, or style of play- just the bit he's supposed to be effective at: achieving promotion. 

We're still in the hunt, in this respect, and results do generally seem to be improving, and there's enough mitigating factors such as injuries for me to give him a bit of leeway. The result against Barnsley seemed to be the culmination of his efforts so far: for once we were that slightly nasty, physical team that completely outmuscled the opposition- that was pleasing to see as it was success measured by the metrics I've been judging him on since his arrival. I don't care about a loss in a cup competition we were never going to win, and could probably do without the extra games, given our squad size. Those sort of games happen, and I'm not bothered by the context or who played etc. - it all seems relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Because promotion is still on the cards, I won't turn on Warne yet, if that starts to fade then what I will say is that Warne hasn't got much else to fall back on. But i'm not there yet, see where we are in the league table come Christmas and I might be harsher on him.

21 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

What were your thoughts on Cocu? 

Is that the same chappie who just left Vitesse Arnhem in 18th (last) place in the Dutch Eredivisie?

As a resident of the Netherlands I've been following Dutch football for almost 40 years. When Cocu arrived I was happy that we had a Manager who would bring youth on but commented on FootyMad that his football wasn't suited to the Championship. Slow, possession based football with the odd rapier like thrust at speed and back to what I refer to as slow, slow, slower, slower, quick bit, slow football. Painful on the eyes and doesn't work in the SBC. Apparently it no longer works over here either.

3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I can’t see that Matt Hale has moved home, left his family behind just to see his players have no pathway. 

Warne says he would play the academy boys if we had a healthy lead. The trouble is, he struggles to get his teams into a healthy lead 🤣

We had a healthy lead v Barnsley.

Short term manager, small town manager, small minded manager.

7 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Like being 3-0 up, 75 minutes on the clock, and having used only 1 sub, with Robinson and Weston both on the bench. By the end of the game, we use only 3 out of 5 subs and leave both Robinson and Weston on the bench. Just like that?

8 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

One word - patronising.

Rubbish coach - get rid. 

He is terrible.

The best thing the club could do is sack him now and get him replaced.

The next few games are completely winnable and had Warne done things differently, we could have been heading into them with a couple of fresh new emerging options, especially Weston. A breath of fresh air in the attack.

As it is, Warne couldn't spot talent if he was a page 3 photographer.

He will stick with his same tactics and his same clic of players and while the next 4 games are entirely winnable, we will be lucky if we get 2 wins.

8 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

It's unbelievable. 

That's like saying to David Clowes 'you might as well close the academy and save your money'. 

I wonder what the academy manager and coaches think to that. 

I actually believe that Warne was forced to play the kids against Wolves.

I refuse to believe he voluntarily gave them minutes, only to then disregard them in the following 2 games, where they could very easily have played.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is terrible.

The best thing the club could do is sack him now and get him replaced.

The next few games are completely winnable and had Warne done things differently, we could have been heading into them with a couple of fresh new emerging options, especially Weston. A breath of fresh air in the attack.

As it is, Warne couldn't spot talent if he was a page 3 photographer.

He will stick with his same tactics and his same clic of players and while the next 4 games are entirely winnable, we will be lucky if we get 2 wins.

You do realise we won our last two league games with an aggregate score line of 7-0.