Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Why? Does a different opinion to yours upset you? 

Does the constant reminder that the current manager isn't up to standard upset you?

Is the ever increasing amount of fans showing concerns upsetting you?

If so then a football forum probably isn't for you. 

Are you feeling a bit ruff ? Then the butchers is probably the place for you and a few others 

This is getting so tedious, especially as one man and his trusted advisers are the only people who matter here. Categorically, the business plan will not include funds set aside/ringfenced for sacking a manager. That doesn't mean they won't have considered that PW won't make it to the end of his contract but any cash needed to pay the 4 of them off will undoubtedly come out of the playing budget. 

Generally clubs are not run like we used to be. We need to remember where MM and his scattergun approach to hiring and firing got us. Changing from 433 possession based with Mac to RealMadrid mk2 with Clement (spunking £10m in one day on BJ and Butterfingers), hard running, lots of effort with Pearson, back again to 433 with Mac v2, kick and rush with Rowett, 433 with Fat Frank, totalfootball with Cocu, Rosenior-ball under Rooney and now the patented League 1 no control but lots of crosses with PW.

I am not saying Clowes will not pull the plug but a 4 year contract, being singleminded in who he wanted and being just outside the playoffs before Autumn is here tells me it isn't likely to be anytime soon. So the endless new threads by people wanting their 15 mins of DCFCFans glory finding new ways to criticise PW are very premature. IMHO. I expect Clowes will look at all the good things that have happened under PW rather than concentrate on the negative. 

As others have said, the sense of entitlement in our fanbase is off the scale. Last week wasn't perfect but 5 points from 3 games is 76 points, as is 18 from 11, but with the positives of Nyambe, Nelson, Fornah, Wilson plus Bird, Hourihane fit to play, solid back 5, with Ward back soon. 

Having said all that, if football owners can sack Eustace with their team in 6th, then anything can happen. But I trust Mr Clowes with my club much more than that.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You would think so, to not consider that something might go 'wrong' is poor business management.

I guess it's down to what Clowes accepts as the season outcome. If it has to be promotion then dare he gamble on top6 being good enough and expect a win at Wembley? If it has to be promotion will top2 and autos getting farther away cause a reaction? 

I’m sure Mr Clowes will be eternally grateful for any business advice you could give him.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You would think so, to not consider that something might go 'wrong' is poor business management.

I guess it's down to what Clowes accepts as the season outcome. If it has to be promotion then dare he gamble on top6 being good enough and expect a win at Wembley? If it has to be promotion will top2 and autos getting farther away cause a reaction? 

As you stated RM, it's down to Clowes and what he will accept. 

I would speculate that not only have we had the forced financial constraints, I feel that due to our recent history of wealthy owners coming in (MM and Lionel) and losing a considerable amount of their personal investment/wealth DC will probably feel it would be crazy not to be much more prudent, even he wasn't allowed to be, so I'd guess the brief last year was play offs at best.  

This season I'd guess the brief will be more top two at best and established in the play offs at worst - whilst working within the budget and reducing the average age of the squad on short contracts, so we don't start each season having to recruit so many new players.

For footballing reasons and continuity I was not really sure on the logic of the Warne appointment, but DC has backed his horse and I doubt he'd want to almost admit defeat now and pay him and his staff off at the moment.   

Clowes will no doubt have concerns and pressure is mounting but we've not reached tipping point for me.  

Not knowing all the ins and outs on costs etc, I think he will show Warne more patience, but we clearly need to see much improved performances, points, and league position in the coming weeks. 

Can Warne do it.  Of course I hope so, but I'm not really sure he will with some of the players recruited and the quality of Didzy not being replaced.  I'm also not really sure what's happened to our high press and gas out approach. 

Maybe PW will get to January and hopefully funds are in the pot to invest in some more creativity and goals, but I don't see the point in giving him the window if we find ourselves in a similar league position that we are today, coupled with very underwhelming performances. - that's surely when DC patience would go.

Up to you PW.

Cheers

Gangway D from the Terrace

I was underwhelmed with our forward recruitment and my prediction for the season had us finishing between 4th-8th so at the moment I shouldn’t be too underwhelmed and yet I am. 

In fairness to PW if Portsmouth and Oxford weren’t both looking like well oiled machines my patience may still be with him. But it’s just very gutting to see a rookie manager and Oxford both have exciting transfer windows and then importantly transferring that excitement to the pitch. 

Nothing about this team is exciting in my opinion, we don’t play with a swagger, a lot of our players are 30+ or young and out of contract next summer. 

Where’s the PW Derby that ripped Bristol Rovers a new one? 

Id rather PW be doing a worldie job or a shocker but unfortunately he’s doing just meh so there’s enough doubt to stick with him.

I can’t see the atmosphere around the club getting any better unless we go on a good run. I imagine we’ll have 300 forum topics all of the same nature by the end of the season if PW continues to plod on as he currently is.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is this the new debating tactic on here now to try and give credence to your opinion by repeating the same point over and over and over but subtlety changing the thread title ever so slightly each time?

Sounds desperate. 

Would you prefer a silent forum? Not saying that to be funny, but as I said yesterday, unless something drastically changes one way or another we’ll be trapped in this purgatory until we go on a winning run or get rid.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Would you prefer a silent forum? Not saying that to be funny, but as I said yesterday, unless something drastically changes one way or another we’ll be trapped in this purgatory until we go on a winning run or get rid.

No I've always stated as others have on here that the number of duplicate threads being started to say exactly the same thing is beyond tedious now. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

No I've always stated as others have on here that the number of duplicate threads being started to say exactly the same thing is beyond tedious now. 

I must admit todays post raise a smile from myself. But then who are we to say what people can or can’t put? I get it from the admin side but then that’s a job for the moderators.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

I must admit todays post raise a smile from myself. But then who are we to say what people can or can’t put? I get it from the admin side but then that’s a job for the moderators.

Its pretty sad really but hey ho.

Its like asking why does a dog lick its balls - because it can. 

Same for this. 

51 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

As you stated RM, it's down to Clowes and what he will accept. 

I would speculate that not only have we had the forced financial constraints, I feel that due to our recent history of wealthy owners coming in (MM and Lionel) and losing a considerable amount of their personal investment/wealth DC will probably feel it would be crazy not to be much more prudent, even he wasn't allowed to be, so I'd guess the brief last year was play offs at best.  

This season I'd guess the brief will be more top two at best and established in the play offs at worst - whilst working within the budget and reducing the average age of the squad on short contracts, so we don't start each season having to recruit so many new players.

For footballing reasons and continuity I was not really sure on the logic of the Warne appointment, but DC has backed his horse and I doubt he'd want to almost admit defeat now and pay him and his staff off at the moment.   

Clowes will no doubt have concerns and pressure is mounting but we've not reached tipping point for me.  

Not knowing all the ins and outs on costs etc, I think he will show Warne more patience, but we clearly need to see much improved performances, points, and league position in the coming weeks. 

Can Warne do it.  Of course I hope so, but I'm not really sure he will with some of the players recruited and the quality of Didzy not being replaced.  I'm also not really sure what's happened to our high press and gas out approach. 

Maybe PW will get to January and hopefully funds are in the pot to invest in some more creativity and goals, but I don't see the point in giving him the window if we find ourselves in a similar league position that we are today, coupled with very underwhelming performances. - that's surely when DC patience would go.

Up to you PW.

Cheers

Gangway D from the Terrace

I think there must be an acknowledgment of how much not going up this season will cost us. If we were doing well might our youngsters re-sign? How much difference in fees against compensation is there, what will losing them cost us? Will there be a drop in attendance, I thought the turnout for Portsmouth was a little low. What financial affect will not going up have.

But I agree I think Clowes is probably doing nothing until at least December, unless a good opportunity presents itself…???

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think there must be an acknowledgment of how much not going up this season will cost us. If we were doing well might our youngsters re-sign? How much difference in fees against compensation is there, what will losing them cost us? Will there be a drop in attendance, I thought the turnout for Portsmouth was a little low. What financial affect will not going up have.

But I agree I think Clowes is probably doing nothing until at least December, unless a good opportunity presents itself…???

John Eustace just became available

1 hour ago, old tray boy said:

My initial posting was and is not a reflection on Warne as a person he seems committed and a really nice man,l just hunger for us to go up this year without this play off lottery and if Warne cannot deliver please god we bring in someone who can get the job done.

We all share the same ambition but, the reality is we may not go up this season either through the autos or the play offs. None of us know what is going through DC’s mind but my gut feeling is that he is nowhere near sacking Warne. I would very much doubt Warne is thinking it’s promotion this season or bust in terms of Warne’s future at the club. That may not be good enough for some of us but it’s not us making the decisions.

With regard to “bring in someone who can get the job done” who do you suggest? It’s easier said that done. Certain managers may prefer a more entertaining style of football but there is no one (especially one we could afford/attract and is available) who can guarantee us promotion. Logic suggests that you’d go for a manager with a track record of getting promoted out of league one like, errrr Paul Warne??

1 hour ago, old tray boy said:

My initial posting was and is not a reflection on Warne as a person he seems committed and a really nice man,l just hunger for us to go up this year without this play off lottery and if Warne cannot deliver please god we bring in someone who can get the job done.

Aha the Holy Grail. Just bring someone in who can get the job done. Sounds simple when you put it like that but far from easy when applied to real life.