Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Name the teams in this league who have players that aren't, as you term them, journeymen? We aren't (yet) playing teams of Championship standard, although the top 2 are obviously stacked with 'ringers'?! 

I know this is an aside to the nonsense being posted, but I do wish we would look to sign league one/league two younger players with points to prove. This waiting for Championship players not only seemingly delayed our transfer dealings, but invariably, there's a reason those players eventually decided to step down a league. Whether that be not good enough, legs having gone or no offers... it all amounts to the same thing.  Nyambe is rare, Bradley or Collins are more likely.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I know this is an aside to the nonsense being posted, but I do wish we would look to sign league one/league two younger players with points to prove. This waiting for Championship players not only seemingly delayed our transfer dealings, but invariably, there's a reason those players eventually decided to step down a league. Whether that be not good enough, legs having gone or no offers... it all amounts to the same thing.  Nyambe is rare, Bradley or Collins are more likely.

For every Bradley there are 2 great players like Nelson or Smith.

11 hours ago, Eaststander7 said:

Amazing then we can demand he’s sacked if he doesn’t win his first 10 games 5-0 playing champagne football.  We could then have another round of polls??? 
I’m so excited I can’t sleep!! 

He didn’t even get us into the playoffs last season. We have 5 pints out of 15 at home. The international break is a good time to make the change. 

11 minutes ago, sage said:

For every Bradley there are 2 great players like Nelson or Smith.

Point is, it takes a balanced approach. We don't seem to have one at the moment. It's all in the Championship players dropping a division basket, pretty much. I'm guessing we are paying Bradley a fair whack for this league, and that money could go on a couple of players from a lower league. Buy more raffle tickets.

3 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

I am amazed that people are giving so much time and space to the Warne in/out saga when thousands of people are being killed in the Israel/Gazza strip conflict.There are far more important needs to be addressed.

?

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Point is, it takes a balanced approach. We don't seem to have one at the moment. It's all in the Championship players dropping a division basket, pretty much. I'm guessing we are paying Bradley a fair whack for this league, and that money could go on a couple of players from a lower league. Buy more raffle tickets.

I would agree. We also need to hoover up some of the best young talent in League One and Two. 

Who would have thought having watch his sides, his recruitment would be one dimensional. 

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

A player is only worth what a club will pay for him, and most of ours were freebies. That being said, Transfermarkt has our estimated squad value comfortably at the top of league one, despite having fewer players than most teams.

Yes, we could always have better players. Yes, maybe the balance isn't great, and we need to strengthen in some areas. But our squad is underperforming, no matter which way you slice it. These players have more capability than they're showing at present, and that will hopefully be addressed soon.

Screenshot_20231010-093202.png

I agree.

I believe that we can and we still can improve on what we are seeing. That is why we must stick with Warne and give him time and the club time to operate. We must strive for sustainability and while performances aren't good on the eye; we are in a decent position in the league bearing in mind we are only 11 games into a season. 

8 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

I am amazed that people are giving so much time and space to the Warne in/out saga when thousands of people are being killed in the Israel/Gazza strip conflict.There are far more important needs to be addressed.

What do you suggest? Everyone think about, talk about , read about and watch and listen to nothing else other than the news from the Middle East?

there’s a Jim smith room and I have purposely refrained from stating in the relevant topic that net zero is the least of our concerns with the state of the world,

you may be better off avoiding a football forum and sticking to current affairs/ news platforms 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jury still out on Cashin? The player Brighton were willing to spent multiple millions on, and had a loan to a top half Championship club lined up?

Waghorn with 6 goals in 558 league minutes.

Sibley who has an average strike rate in general (1 goal contribution every 323 minutes), but actually has a very good record when actually played in his best position (1 per 219 minutes). For comparison, Hourihane has averaged 1 per 229 minutes. Sibley is nowhere near his peak yet either.

I agree with you.

I don't quite understand their valuation of Cashin. I think we should tie him down to a long contract, not because I see him improving hugely, just because I think he is capable of becoming a very good Championship defender.

Waghorn was a complete punt, and one I am very happy we took. His goalscoring record in the past 3 seasons was very poor, and this would have been a difficult decision for Warne as Waggy would have asked for decent wages, but it shows where the market is. Every goal that he scores is a bonus.

Sibley. I dunno. He's an enigma. (there's a thread on this somewhere). If he is played in his best position then as say, he could be useful.

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Name the teams in this league who have players that aren't, as you term them, journeymen? We aren't (yet) playing teams of Championship standard, although the top 2 are obviously stacked with 'ringers'?! 

I'm not suggesting that RoyMac.

Sage has suggested that we have a top 2 squad and I am asking him what he bases that on. What makes our squad more significant than our rivals? A perfectly well balanced question.

19 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Awful as that is, it’s not relevant is it.

E567809C-142F-4CA4-92F6-54F71D1BB597.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

I think you mean Gaza, Gazza Strip will take you down a wholly different path.

7 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

I agree with you.

I don't quite understand their valuation of Cashin. I think we should tie him down to a long contract, not because I see him improving hugely, just because I think he is capable of becoming a very good Championship defender.

Waghorn was a complete punt, and one I am very happy we took. His goalscoring record in the past 3 seasons was very poor, and this would have been a difficult decision for Warne as Waggy would have asked for decent wages, but it shows where the market is. Every goal that he scores is a bonus.

Sibley. I dunno. He's an enigma. (there's a thread on this somewhere). If he is played in his best position then as say, he could be useful.

Woken up in a better mood?

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Or it could also be that the quality of players we have / can afford do not produce on a consistent basis , that is the difference between top players and champ / league 1 , any fool knows that , you can produce a u tube showreel for almost any player with they’re best bits and they look like Messi but can they do it for 90 mins game on game ? 

It's an argument as old as time itself. The old cliche "they wouldn't be playing at this level if they were more consistent" - usually trotted out as an excuse for a manager failing to get the best out of someone, a giant shrug of the shoulders explained away in one statement. (I know you're not doing that here)

Yes, we all ("any fools") know that the lower you go the more inconsistent a player's output it is, but you can't just say League One players are inconsistent and that's that, there's nothing we can do about it, we just have to put up with it and can't expect better.

The degree of consistency within whichever league still varies greatly between players due to a number of factors, whether it's the players natural ability, their mentality, the system they're used in, how much of the ball they see compared to their teammates, which areas of the pitch they get involved most in, etc

It's every manager's job to build cohesive and relatively consistent team from the players available to them at whatever level they're operating and every season 2 teams (by definition of winning automatic promotion, 3 if including play-off winners), end up showing more consistency than others,  but were you to follow the logic you've posted above to its natural conclusion, that can't be possible!