11 Points

Day

Why do people do this to themselves every year?

It would take something incredible for any of Luton, Burnley or Sheffield United to get nine points or fewer across 32 more games.

Superior teams like Chelsea, Villa, West Ham, Brentford and Brighton will have off days and give them opportunities to pick up odd points here and there. Forest, Wolves, Everton, Bournemouth, Palace and Fulham are very beatable. Then they have four games against their immediate rivals.

They might not break the 25 point mark but they would have to be unfathomably poor to trouble our record breakers.

Honestly don’t think it’ll ever get beaten; it was the perfect storm. But there was immense gallows humour along the way; pretending we scored a goal and just being past the point of caring/worrying and just having a nice day out. Working in leicester,  was explaining the pretending to score thing to a load of leicester fans who I don’t think actually believed me that eventually we’d get most the ground up on their feet pretending we’d scored a goal. Mental. 

My hazy memory says it could have been all different if it wasn’t for a great Jo hart save denying us a deserved equaliser at Man City early doors in the season.

Only five teams have ever got less than twenty points - it is hard to put into words just how unbreakable our record is. And with the pile of very average teams at the bottom of the table all likely to take some points off each other this is not the season it will happen. And, for sure, it won't be Forest who are bottom at the end of this season.

I did a thread last year, that I think now has been archived, to calculate what became known as St Clods Day - namely the date at which no club could beat our record. Would be great if someone could bump that as it did show that nobody, but nobody, has come anywhere seriously near threatening it.

It will not be 'bettered' in our lifetime - I genuinely believe that.

4 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

Honestly don’t think it’ll ever get beaten; it was the perfect storm. But there was immense gallows humour along the way; pretending we scored a goal and just being past the point of caring/worrying and just having a nice day out. Working in leicester,  was explaining the pretending to score thing to a load of leicester fans who I don’t think actually believed me that eventually we’d get most the ground up on their feet pretending we’d scored a goal. Mental. 

My hazy memory says it could have been all different if it wasn’t for a great Jo hart save denying us a deserved equaliser at Man City early doors in the season.

Or the disallowed onside goal that would have put us 1-1 against chelsea

Edited by davenportram

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why do people do this to themselves every year?

It would take something incredible for any of Luton, Burnley or Sheffield United to get nine points or fewer across 32 more games.

Superior teams like Chelsea, Villa, West Ham, Brentford and Brighton will have off days and give them opportunities to pick up odd points here and there. Forest, Wolves, Everton, Bournemouth, Palace and Fulham are very beatable. Then they have four games against their immediate rivals.

They might not break the 25 point mark but they would have to be unfathomably poor to trouble our record breakers.

I hear what you say and I have felt ever since that season that our awful record will never be surpassed but none of us can be certain about that. For the first time I see a glimmer hope with Luton and Sheffield United this season. You talk about other teams having off days but in our miserable season only Newcastle did that for us. I can remember as we neared the end at St James Park we were singing "We're s*** and we beat you twice" but then Darren Moore slipped and Mark Viduka went by him on the halfway line to rescue Newcastle a draw.

The teams today are so much stronger than the teams coming up from the Championship than 15 years ago. I thought Burnley this year would be okay but now I'm wondering.

Keep your powder dry until Luton and the Blades gain some momentum 😆

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just realised... I bet Newcastle are relieved to have got that win out of the way today!  

#The only team not to beat the worst team in history!  🤣

That’s not exactly true. There are other teams that didn’t beat us that season. Barcelona didn’t beat us, or Bayern Munich. Forest definitely didn’t beat us. 

18 hours ago, KBB said:

The 11 point record doesn't bother me. Any football fan you chat to will want to talk about it and listen to stories about it.

One fan I met couldn't believe that I had a season ticket and went to every game. He said after about 10 games he would have stopped going and probably never gone back the next season either.

Its a badge of honour for me among friends who support massive clubs and have seen them play maybe once or twice in the flesh that I kept going and still do.

Worst team in history? Yeah we were. The fans showed they were anything but and we should be eternally proud of that and own it as a club and a fan base.

image.png.7de8a3c0d89b41d421f42692d6c65ccf.png

59 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I can see Luton getting about 25 points and Sheffield United a few points more than that. They are not that bad unless they sack their manager bring in some clown and have a toxic atmosphere in the squad can't see them getting under 20 points. 

I'll be surprised if I'm not thinking if only we'd got another 4 or 5 points like when Villa and Huddersfield went. Luton won't get more than 15 or 16.  

I can see Luton genuinely only getting 10 points. They could easily lose  every game away from home and only pick up 2 wins and 4 draws at home giving them a total of 10. Sheffield United will reach at least 15 and perhaps 25 once some of their players come back. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

16 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

it is hard to put into words just how unbreakable our record is

I dunno - Sunderland thought the same when they held the record with 19 points, and then a couple of seasons later outdid themselves and beat their own record with 15 points.

11 points is only 1 draw and 1 win worse than that. 

But that said - it needs yet another perfect storm, and there are too many average teams (and too many just plain bad teams) this season

21 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Personally I find it embarrassing for us  to carry that burden around and would be delighted to shed it. Don't really understand the sentiment of a " badge of honour." 

I agree with @GboroRam and @Gee SCREAMER !! that it won't be beaten. I console myself with the fact it isn't a bad reflection on the club but a truly shocking manager. He blew it big time.

paul_jewell_1122494c.jpg.b9b8431ba0058e88fbea6b8ffdf85921.jpg

Anyone who moans about the Paul Warne “Brand” of football should take a look at what Paul Jewel served up.