11 Points

Day

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Looking for some crumbs of comfort tonight , Sheffield Utd are trying to help. 1pt from 8 games , at this rate they will be lucky to get 6pts this season. During our bad season I can’t remember our fan base turning on the manager like this season .

But then he'd achieved something with us.

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Looking for some crumbs of comfort tonight , Sheffield Utd are trying to help. 1pt from 8 games , at this rate they will be lucky to get 6pts this season. During our bad season I can’t remember our fan base turning on the manager like this season .

Because we knew we were rubbish, and didn't have a prayer. Any point or goal was a bonus. None of us expected a thing, and just enjoyed the season for what it was.

This season we're an average side in league one, playing dire football. The fans expect more than that, and rightly so.

7 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

He was just as bad at Ipswich as he was at PP!

You're right, he was at Ipswich after us too. Stupid brain misremembered. Must be cos I've not drank enough beer.

I was thinking of Wigan. He'd taken both Wigan and Bradford to the premier league. Had a torrid time at Wednesday, but they had plenty of off field issues with money (according to Wikipedia) so at the time, that won't have hurt his stock too much.

Edited by oodledoodle

15 hours ago, richinspain said:

I agree with you about Billy, and on hindsight about Jewell, but didn't Jewell at least arrive with a good reputation?

I remember his Wigan team as a kid which looked brilliant from memory with Baines at left back, Bullard in midfield and a partnership of Roberts and Ellington up front. Teale in that team also looked really good from memory. 

On 05/10/2023 at 07:40, DavesaRam said:

He did blow it big time, but he was working with what Billy Davis left him, which in terms of Premier League football was diddly squat. If you remember Billy went in holiday for 2 weeks while all the players we needed to sign went to other clubs, leaving us to sign a load of has-beens and rejects. A bit like what Cocu inherited from Lampard’s double stab in the back, only Jewell was no Cocu. 

Jewell selling the spine of our attack in Howard & Oakley (Oakley was also the captain) was probably a big part of our demise in the latter half of the season. I would say Oakley was definitely better than Savage who was bought in to replace him.

On 05/10/2023 at 13:20, MadAmster said:

We were justifiably relegated that season. I flew back for half a dozen of the home games, one of which was Chelsea. We went 1 up. Then, a Derby player was fouled around the centre circle. Ref gave Chelsea the free kick and, in the ensuing move, they scored. 1-1. Shortly afterwards, a Derby player was fouled around the centre circle.... wash, rinse repeat. 1-2 and Chelsea go home with 3 points.

There were more instances of such injustice during the season but we would still have finished bottom but may well have beaten Sunderland's 15, Huddersfield's 16 and Villa's 17 points tallies from previous seasons.

We lost 0-2 to Chelsea. The goal we did score was wrongly disallowed for offside. If only we’d had VAR that day.

6 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Jewell selling the spine of our attack in Howard & Oakley (Oakley was also the captain) was probably a big part of our demise in the latter half of the season. I would say Oakley was definitely better than Savage who was bought in to replace him.

We lost 0-2 to Chelsea. The goal we did score was wrongly disallowed for offside. If only we’d had VAR that day.

You are correct. I'd forgotten our "goal" had been wiped out. Both their goals, though, came from free kicks we should have had that they got given... or has my addled brain got that wrong as well? 😉

14 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

You're right, he was at Ipswich after us too. Stupid brain misremembered. Must be cos I've not drank enough beer.

I was thinking of Wigan. He'd taken both Wigan and Bradford to the premier league. Had a torrid time at Wednesday, but they had plenty of off field issues with money (according to Wikipedia) so at the time, that won't have hurt his stock too much.

Yep...I was really happy with his appointment at the time...He had taken Bradford City to the Premier League and kept them up...he took Wigan to the Premier League and also kept em up...I stupidly thought maybe he can do the same for us...how wrong I was!

18 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Yep...I was really happy with his appointment at the time...He had taken Bradford City to the Premier League and kept them up...he took Wigan to the Premier League and also kept em up...I stupidly thought maybe he can do the same for us...how wrong I was!

As we can see there's no sure thing in football. 😄

4 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Same here - thought to myself, even after everything, we'd got a relegation battle veteran and we may actually have a chance of fighting back from the dead (jesus, I was so young and naive then). Fast forward only a few weeks and PJ had shot himself in the foot in every conceivable way. Have recently been re-reading Pride and it's brought it all back.

8 minutes ago, Plusi_Ram said:

Same here - thought to myself, even after everything, we'd got a relegation battle veteran and we may actually have a chance of fighting back from the dead (jesus, I was so young and naive then). Fast forward only a few weeks and PJ had shot himself in the foot in every conceivable way. Have recently been re-reading Pride and it's brought it all back.

Fast forward 16 years and he have a promotion 'veteran', and we might have a chance of going up... 😁😉

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 07/10/2023 at 21:07, jimtastic56 said:

Why are you suggesting that our fan base is against the manager?

What do you base those remarks on?

Surely not this forum, where we have a very small and vocal minority who have decided that his time is up.