11 Points

Day

On 09/10/2023 at 07:53, CongletonRam said:

Why are you suggesting that our fan base is against the manager?

What do you base those remarks on?

Surely not this forum, where we have a very small and vocal minority who have decided that his time is up.

I agree , the Warne outers are in a minority. But a few booing at home games have been heard. I was thinking more about how nasty some of the criticism has been . Shef Utd play Man Utd this weekend - trying to add to their 1 point. They still seem to have faith in Heckingbottom , in our Division the trigger is already being pulled.

Our problem that season was that we were the only really rubbish side*. This season there are 3/4 awful teams, who will all take points off each other and get above our total easily.

* Even though I still maintain that Newcastle must have been the worst team ever - to have lost 4 points to us that season.

56 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I agree , the Warne outers are in a minority. But a few booing at home games have been heard. I was thinking more about how nasty some of the criticism has been . Shef Utd play Man Utd this weekend - trying to add to their 1 point. They still seem to have faith in Heckingbottom , in our Division the trigger is already being pulled.

I would say I'd be surprised if the Warne out brigade were in a minority.

From the people I've spoken to recently, if I'm conducting my own exit poll, the majority, or overwhelming majority want him gone. The minority don't want him sacked but wouldn't lose sleep if he was.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

From the people I've spoken to recently, if I'm conducting my own exit poll, the majority, or overwhelming majority want him gone. The minority don't want him sacked but wouldn't lose sleep if he was.

I would say that if "The overwhelming majority" wanted him gone, there would be clear unarguable evidence, such as a cacophony of full time boos, Warne Out Banners, and certainly a significant number of chants throughout the game loud enough for all 4 sides to hear.

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I would say that if "The overwhelming majority" wanted him gone, there would be clear unarguable evidence, such as a cacophony of full time boos, Warne Out Banners, and certainly a significant number of chants throughout the game loud enough for all 4 sides to hear.

My personal exit poll consists of the fella I go walking with, my brother, cousin, Scott at work, bloke I sit next to at the match, two of the stewards and Sibs.

Hardly the biggest field, but it's an indicator non the less 😆

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My personal exit poll consists of the fella I go walking with, my brother, cousin, Scott at work, bloke I sit next to at the match, two of the stewards and Sibs.

Hardly the biggest field, but it's an indicator non the less 😆

The thing is, did they come out and say as much?  Or did you put the words out there, and they just politely nodded their agreement?

There are some folk out there that like to bore-rant when in company.  I'm not saying this is you, but who knows?
There are some folk out there that like to just nod/agree, to avoid a full on face-to-face bore-rant conversation... I'm not saying this is me, but it actually is!  👀

16 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Well, I am a Warne in man. Not because he’s a genius, not because I like 3 at the back and flogging aging wide players to play the full length of the pitch. Not because sometimes he seems inflexible.

I am Warne in because we have all been too impatient in recent times. Because he talks as straight as he is able to, without betraying confidences that he has to keep. That despite some bumps, he has engendered a team sprit. He wants to win, never knowingly plays for a draw, likes using width of the pitch. Has probably done as well as anyone attainable for us could have done. The injuries we have had have been very unlucky. …. And biggest of all he deserves a chance over the length of his contract without constantly having to look over his shoulder in case he’s going to get tripped by his own fans.
Question him ? Yes. Put him on the spot Yes ! Undermine him in the considered way that some seem to revel in no.

The football is ok with some ups and downs. Still lots to do, isn’t perfect but I am fed up with manager merry go round. Unless we look threatened by relegation he gets my full support at least to the end of the season and maybe beyond. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Well, I am a Warne in man. Not because he’s a genius, not because I like 3 at the back and flogging aging wide players to play the full length of the pitch. Not because sometimes he seems inflexible.

I am Warne in because we have all been too impatient in recent times. Because he talks as straight as he is able to, without betraying confidences that he has to keep. That despite some bumps, he has engendered a team sprit. He wants to win, never knowingly plays for a draw, likes using width of the pitch. Has probably done as well as anyone attainable for us could have done. The injuries we have had have been very unlucky. …. And biggest of all he deserves a chance over the length of his contract without constantly having to look over his shoulder in case he’s going to get tripped by his own fans.
Question him ? Yes. Put him on the spot Yes ! Undermine him in the considered way that some seem to revel in no.

The football is ok with some ups and downs. Still lots to do, isn’t perfect but I am fed up with manager merry go round. Unless we look threatened by relegation he gets my full support at least to the end of the season and maybe beyond. 

I am with you there @jono I have been saying for ages that the manager merry go-round is partly to blame for where we are now.

New manager, new team, more signings, more money. No instant success - Sack manager.

New manager, new style, new players (more money) mixed with old players, no instant success. Sack manager. AND IT GOES ROUND

2 hours ago, jono said:

Fair play.....it's just a pity that Warne doesn't.....oh I won't start again.

We just want to play attractive, attacking football. Oh sorry, I did.

2 hours ago, jono said:

What do you think we'll be left with after Warne goes if it's later rather than sooner?

Do you think the squad that Warne is assembling will allow the next manager to carry on in a successful manner?

This is the point some of the Derby fans are making. Not change for changes sake, but change because we don't appear to be going down the right track currently with our football and our recruitment.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What do you think we'll be left with after Warne goes if it's later rather than sooner?

Do you think the squad that Warne is assembling will allow the next manager to carry on in a successful manner?

This is the point some of the Derby fans are making. Not change for changes sake, but change because we don't appear to be going down the right track currently with our football and our recruitment.

I would say that sitting comfortably with a game in hand in the top half of the table is proof that the manager is actually doing something right, especially when you consider he has had to put together an entire new squad on a budget (and I know the claims that our budget is greater than others although I don't necessarily believe that when other clubs are shelling out big fees). Granted out football is not easy on the eye, but aside from the team being a few points/places higher, what more could he do?

It's all well and good identifying a player that can improve the squad. I dare say that same player will have a host of bigger and better clubs knocking on his door. Warne has put together a squad with a match of players he had identified, the majority of whom (reading between the lines of his interviews), were not first choice. I'm not going to berate the manager for bringing in the likes of Washington, Nelson and the like as they were in all likelihood, the scraps with which he was left with.

Derby County may seem like a big draw for us fans, but for the players, they will look at our recent turbulent history and it wouldn't be difficult to find more appealing clubs, even if those clubs are not maybe the same size and stature of DCFC.

Play-offs would represent a successful season IMO all things considered. That will clearly not be good enough for some fans, particularly those who are of the opinion that we have some divine right to be playing at a higher level due to our size, but I think it will be OK in the eyes of the decision maker/s.

15 hours ago, jono said:

Best post for some time, spot on, I agree with everything you said, lets move on as a club, and give a manager time, it worked for Jimbo Smith, and it could work for Warne as well. 

7 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Best post for some time, spot on, I agree with everything you said, lets move on as a club, and give a manager time, it worked for Jimbo Smith, and it could work for Warne as well. 

Fact check: Jim Smith got us promoted in his first season. Who knows, he might have been sacked if he didn’t. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Fact check: Jim Smith got us promoted in his first season. Who knows, he might have been sacked if he didn’t. 

Jim was nearly gone before that we started the season awful, and at Tranmere away, fans where calling for his head, fact as well, but good old Jim proved them wrong, and became a great manager for us, some times patience is required. 

On 20/10/2023 at 10:13, RoyMac5 said:

Hard to say given that he hasn’t been able to play his recruited players, some because they were risky signings and some because we were plain unlucky. I don’t think our football is wrong I think it is a variable work in progress affected by injuries in key areas. (Bird / Ward / Thommo particularly) I think “assembled” squads between managers is always a problem. The only time it wasn’t was Clough to Mac .. where good recruitment was handed to a better manager. I don’t think our recruitment has been bad. I think it has been by force of necessity reflecting where we are both in league terms and financial restrictions after administration. I see all this as part of the patience process. You can’t say a plan has failed until it has run its course. As long as we are stable and not threatened with relegation then I want him to have a fair crack of the whip. Anything else would be counter productive. 

On 20/10/2023 at 08:45, BathRam72 said:

I am with you there @jono I have been saying for ages that the manager merry go-round is partly to blame for where we are now.

New manager, new team, more signings, more money. No instant success - Sack manager.

New manager, new style, new players (more money) mixed with old players, no instant success. Sack manager. AND IT GOES ROUND

Yes, but on the positive side, it does fuel MRIG's only topic of conversation - so it keeps one person happy.

Smith was a great manager for us, a very good manager in his own right.

He was also a forward thinking manager, and what truly made him so much of a success here was that he surrounded himself with some of the best upcoming coaches of the time and was open to incorporating new ideas into his tactics, using advancements in sports science and match analysis to his advantage, alongside some excellent man management.

In terms of similarities, Warne wants to play 3-5-2 and has good man management skills. 

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 20/10/2023 at 07:35, jono said:

How about now?