Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Why are you so angry?

We have 14 points from nine games. We are three points from the play off places with one to two games in hand depending on who plays on the 14th.  It’s not a doomsday scenario.

We are a work in progress. We have 37 games to get things right and it’s clear that Warne is still working on things and trying to achieve the right balance whilst dealing with a squad that has many absentees through injury and many players searching for form or fitness, sometimes both.

Who said anything anywhere about it being acceptable? I think we are all frustrated. We all want better football married with positive results, but there’s no need to react like this.

It’s a long season and we’ll pick up unlikely points and drop nailed on points whoever the manager is.

I don't think we have 37 games to get it right.

We need to get it sorted soonest in order to try our best to sustain around the usual feb-march slump.

Warne is not helping himself with some of his comments about "really good players" coming into "good form". These views seem at odds with a large chunk of the fanbase.

I'm a big believer in reversion to the mean so I'm focusing on how performances are described. The progress of improvement seems very slow and the apparent Plan A looks rudimentary.

I would say so far this season we've scored more points than our performances have justified. Therefore, without more sustained improvement in our performances I fear we will slip further down the table.

Performance was much better but the final ball and finishing was missing massively, on another day we win that 2 or 3 nil. Waggys header was a sitter, he had to score. We seem to have struggled vs half decent teams who just sit in at Pride Park, even under McClaren we had games like today.

The booing after the game was at the ref, there were chants to him after the boos & he was booed again as he walked down the tunnel.

As for Warne's post match interview, what he actually said was we was getting joy down the sides (which we were) but then decided to try & force passes through the middle (which we did) but thats where all Cambridge numbers were so it didnt work & that we should have kept going out wide as that was working....not sure how anyone can disagree with that? Everytime we went through the middle we lost the ball, Waggy barely madr himself available but we looked a threat when we got the ball out wide.

Nyambe & Nelson looked rock solid at the back & Fornah was brilliant in centre mid, the sort of player we have been missing. Id be tempted with him & Bird in the 2 with Hourihane in the 10 as he has the quality on the ball to score or create around the edge of the box.

1 loss in 7, 3 clean sheets in a row & the squad starting to get back fit - lets see how we look when we have the likes of Bird, Hourihane, Ward & JJ fully fit & available.

I do however think some fans wont be happy regardless of what happens on the pitch whilst Warne is in charge. Even if we won the league they would moan about something.

Edited by DCFC1388

Football is full of fine margins 

If McGoldrick would of stayed I think we would have 4 more points 

I think the defence is slightly better , The midfield about the same (not very good)

but to replace a your main threat with a guy who maybe would still be without a club (Waghorn) if we hadn't stepped up 

Washington who couldn't get regular game time with previous clubs 

and Collins whose positional sense is none existant and has the lack of ability to fully control a football 

The only one who had somthing was maybe John Jules but a hell of a risk signing that was !!

So sadly thats the problem, plently of huff and puff and nothing up top 

equals midtable nothing season 

Edited by eddy779h34

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

As for Warne's post match interview, what he actually said was we was getting joy down the sides (which we were) but then decided to try & force passes through the middle (which we did) but thats where all Cambridge numbers were so it didnt work & that we should have kept going out wide as that was working....not sure how anyone can disagree with that?

Because I hardly saw much play through the middle, from which player to who, I only remember that great pass from NML to Sibs who moved nicely into the box but the shot was a bit tame.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

No, because he should have laid it off to Barhuizen instead of keep running with it, then it would have been. 

My left ear is still ringing from my other half yelling at him repeatedly to do exactly that.

It makes you wonder what goes on in footballers' minds at times! 

This is a very important point. I think people forget these players are not top class players with top class decision making and composure.

Warne has obviously made mistakes this season. These players have also made mistakes this season, the kind of mistakes games hinge upon. There will be days when your players simply don’t deliver no matter how much you try.

Collins, Barkhuizen, NML, Waghorn - they will have days when everything they touch turns to gold but equally they will also have days when they frustrate you to high heaven. We know that very well by now - you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Today was one of those days. On Tuesday, it could be the reverse. Waghorn scores two, we win and people are dreaming again. Why so much panic?

2 things missing. A killer striker and someone to tell the players that probing for a gap is fine but you need to play passes first time instead of 2 / 3 touches while you work out what you want to do ! You only break lines by stretching opponents not by giving them time to re set. 

Acceptable performance up to a point. Must try harder, believe and have more confidence.

Nyambe is a beast. Love that he thinks and times his passes. (Karen next to me got a little “unnecessary” about his thighs 🤣)

Cash had a good game as did Curtis and Fozzy remains an intelligent player. 

Smithy made too many errors despite his work. NML although always dangerous looked off it. Barks did well, at least he can control a ball. Collins and Waghorn worked hard but both lacked finesse. Liked the look of Fornah, better first half than second but at least he has skill and potential. Hope springs eternal.

Move the ball lads. It isn’t always pace on the run .. is pace with the ball. Then you’ll break the lines. Cambs .. well organised, pressed and worked all game. Text book keep em out set up well executed. 

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because I hardly saw much play through the middle, from which player to who, I only remember that great pass from NML to Sibs who moved nicely into the box but the shot was a bit tame.

It was mainly first half that we tried a number of times to play it through the middle and the passes got blocked or were over hit.

Well, we deserved the point more than Cambridge did. It sounds crazy that this is a match we should have won comfortably, yet I am happy with the draw! But that is because, probably unknown to Paul Warne some actual football managed to sneak out onto the pitch! After what we have had to endure in recent matches some of today’s football was good to watch.

There has been a marked improvement in defence with Nelson finding his feet, and Fornah and Nyambe have made a big difference to the team’s cohesiveness.

Barkhuisen played well, and his running off the ball was really good, and several times offered the potential to open Cambridge’s defence up. 

And although we had several attempts on goal, we never really created clear cut chances, apart from the one Waggy missed, and another one where Collin’s on target header was fortuitously blocked. What we lacked was someone running at the defence or landing that killer through ball. What cost us, I think, is playing Waghorn in that role when he's best up front or our on the wing. Sadly, even though we are struggling to score goals, especially at home, the person Warne describes as the best finisher at the club was sat on the bench. The same player whose strength is the role he had Waghorn shoe-horned into, who was eventually, 65 minutes too late, brought on into the position best suited to Waghorn. Go figure!!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

So although I should be hacked off that we didn’t vest Cambridge, I am curiously ok about it. The football was a definite improvement, so maybe more will follow in subsequent matches. Only time will tell. Same as with the possibility of Warne showing the tactical nous to change things up in order to win matches.

Moving on ……..

Not warnes biggest fan but enjoyed today, thought first half was best have played in ages. Too many near misses and failed opportunities though.

Kept the ball and attacked quickly, wingers a threat in parts. Goals going to be our issue. Really don’t see Collins, Washington and waghorn scoring enough to get you up.

it did tail off quite a bit second half, but was ok football mainly. Like Fornah too, looks a player 

It was very disappointing again. I took the supporters bus back to the village and went to the pub. I've just come home and feel too down to go through what everyone else thinks tonight. I expect that the majority feel down also. But that's 11 points now from the last 11 home games which tells you we are nowhere near being on track for promotion, regardless of how many points we are behind the leaders and how many games we might have in hand over the teams above us. Things just don't seem to be getting better folks and I fear now that for the first time in our history we'll be spending a third consecutive season in the third tier. But at least we are still in the EFL to fight another day. I'm off to Blackpool and Cheltenham this week with the hope that our away form continues to maintain some respectability for our massive club in this division.

COYR

Best performance of the season by an absolute mile, but final touch wasn’t there. I just hope that we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water based on us not winning this game. We suffocated a capable Cambridge side to absolutely no opportunities due to a controlled, concise approach. The final ball lacked, individually not good enough, but the set up and system is one for much promise. 

So, so much better and a progressive performance. I can see a ton more promise with what I saw today than our usual approach of trying to turn the game into a basketball match. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe, I guess we will see what Clowes’ view is in the coming days and weeks.

It seems to me fans are desperately craving a managerial change to the point where any sense of perspective is lost.

We all would love to see picture perfect performances and results, but the reality is that it will still be the same group of players until January who have yet to implement any plan particularly well.

We go direct? It’s too chaotic. We keep possession? It’s too slow. We have the ball? In control but no spark. We don’t have the ball? Pathetic.

What’s to say the new manager will do better? What’s to say the new manager won’t have teething problems?

Exactly! Listened to Colin Gibson's post match thoughts regarding the fact that Warne doesn't really appear to rate some of Rosenior's signings but obviously can't say so.The players who currently beat the brunt of most of our frustrations are Collins,NML and Smith-all LR signings.Contracts for Hourihane,Smith,NML,Collins,Barks and Sibley expire next June and I won't miss any of them.Cashin and Bird ,however,will be big losses but that's where we are as a club,sadly.Fornah,Nelson and Nyambe are good additions and Ward,Wilson and Elder,when fit,should improve us.Like many others I feel frustrated but expecting instantaneous success after what we've been through is totally unrealistic.It took Fergie,the greatest,5 seasons to get it right at Utd!!

Warne is getting a lot of criticism,some of it well over the top,but I won't sit in "judgment" until the squad is full of his signings and not one where he's trying to get the best out of several players who are past there sell by date and only here because we were desperate for bodies and offering the chance of one last decent pay day.

My take was that we should have had the game wrapped up in the first half, and we played well enough to score a couple. I said at half time, if we play like that in the second half I still think we will win - but then you always risk a poor second half performance and regretting the time earlier in the game when you were well on top.

For me Nyambe and Fornah looked great - first time I have seen them play. Defence looked comfortable and controlled well the little threat Cambridge had. As other people have said it looks like the trio of Waghorn, Washington and Collins might be our weak link over the course of the season. 

5 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Its poor. "Wait till hes got his own players"...."Wait till hes had a pre season"...Its been a year and its worse. Bordering Boring!! Wildsmith made more saves today and some people thought we had played well. 

And three who could add a lot offensively are currently injured are they not?

4 minutes ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

For me Nyambe and Fornah looked great - first time I have seen them play. Defence looked comfortable and controlled well the little threat Cambridge had. As other people have said it looks like the trio of Waghorn, Washington and Collins might be our weak link over the course of the season. 

They aren't the greatest but it's the way Warne sets them up that brings out the average in them rather than the best.

8 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Exactly! Listened to Colin Gibson's post match thoughts regarding the fact that Warne doesn't really appear to rate some of Rosenior's signings but obviously can't say so.The players who currently beat the brunt of most of our frustrations are Collins,NML and Smith-all LR signings.Contracts for Hourihane,Smith,NML,Collins,Barks and Sibley expire next June and I won't miss any of them.Cashin and Bird ,however,will be big losses but that's where we are as a club,sadly.Fornah,Nelson and Nyambe are good additions and Ward,Wilson and Elder,when fit,should improve us.Like many others I feel frustrated but expecting instantaneous success after what we've been through is totally unrealistic.It took Fergie,the greatest,5 seasons to get it right at Utd!!

Warne is getting a lot of criticism,some of it well over the top,but I won't sit in "judgment" until the squad is full of his signings and not one where he's trying to get the best out of several players who are past there sell by date and only here because we were desperate for bodies and offering the chance of one last decent pay day.

Bloody hell that is depressing thought, our beloved football club full of ‘his’ type of players. By that point though at least I’ll probably be spending the money I would have spent on a season ticket on something more entertaining/enjoyable. A new Xbox possibly..🙂