Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

1 minute ago, Eaststander7 said:

And replace with who?

I mean constantly changing managers has worked so well for us over the past 10/15 years

We’ve got 2 options; 

A) Warnock, make this season a free hit and have the king of poohouse entertain. Then come the end of the season appoint our long term guy.

B) Go long term now and hope we back the right horse this time. Notts County or Stockport’s maybe? Eustace if he gets the sack? I like Evatt but he would be to expensive I imagine and maybe his Snapchat woes are affecting his personal life right now, so steer clear.

8 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

We’ve got 2 options; 

A) Warnock, make this season a free hit and have the king of poohouse entertain. Then come the end of the season appoint our long term guy.

B) Go long term now and hope we back the right horse this time. Notts County or Stockport’s maybe? Eustace if he gets the sack? I like Evatt but he would be to expensive I imagine and maybe his Snapchat woes are affecting his personal life right now, so steer clear.

These are the only 2 options? 

nah…stick with warne and let’s have something this club has been crying out needing for years….

stability 

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

We’ve got 2 options; 

This is a myth.

There is no such thing as a long-term guy at all but a tiny handful of clubs these days.

You say long-term, but if we are more poorly positioned after 12 months, you (or people like you) will be saying the exact same thing.

That's not a criticism, btw, just an observation.

I'm not a Warne fan or his harshest critic, but I think we have to stop convincing ourselves that it will be different next time a manager struggles because they are our long-term guy.

Warne is that long-term guy and it will only be different when we get immediate success. 

13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

This is a myth.

There is no such thing as a long-term guy at all but a tiny handful of clubs these days.

You say long-term, but if we are more poorly positioned after 12 months, you (or people like you) will be saying the exact same thing.

That's not a criticism, btw, just an observation.

I'm not a Warne fan or his harshest critic, but I think we have to stop convincing ourselves that it will be different next time a manager struggles because they are our long-term guy.

Warne is that long-term guy and it will only be different when we get immediate success. 

Warne was hired with the goal of promotion and establishing us in the Championship. There was nothing 'lomg-term' beyond that.

Certain managers, such as Luke Williams, can be viewed as the types who can take us further than that. They can grow and improve alongside the club and win promotion to thr PL.

As others have said, Warne appears to be a guy who likes to be loved. Perhaps that was far easier at a club like Rotherham, where you can be a bit of a one-man band and know everyone from the tea lady to the chairman. At a bigger institution like derby with around 4 times the size of the fan base, the pressure also gets ramped up. It wouldn't surprise me if things haven't improved by Christmas, either results or performance-wise, that he agrees to a mutual termination. He doesn't appear to be enjoying himself in interviews, even when we win, he still has digs at the fan base, so it might well be that we won't have to fire him. Clowes might just need to show him that there is an exit door in the near future, and he'll walk through it. 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne was hired with the goal of promotion and establishing us in the Championship. There was nothing 'lomg-term' beyond that.

Certain managers, such as Luke Williams, can be viewed as the types who can take us further than that. They can grow and improve alongside the club and win promotion to thr PL.

A 4-year contract and nothing from DC saying otherwise tells me you're just guessing. 

NC was about as long-term as we have ever got, and he was let go just as things were coming to fruition. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

A 4-year contract and nothing from DC saying otherwise tells me you're just guessing. 

NC was about as long-term as we have ever got, and he was let go just as things were coming to fruition

We said that every year with Nigel though, there's no proof with what you say.

Any manager/team will have peaks and troughs.   Even Alex Ferguson had times - and not just the first few years - when some questioned if he still had it - Klopp was getting questioned at ties last season.  

We need to give Warne the season I think to know if the current performances are as good as it gets under him or whether he's just not found the right formula yet.  

That said I was never in favour of his appointment and wouldn't be too sad if we replaced him but head over heart if I ran the club and had appointed him I wouldn't get rid now. 

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We said that every year with Nigel though, there's no proof with what you say.

Of course, there isn't. But from what I saw, the team he left was the best. Maybe it needed McClaren to galvanise it, I dunno.

But that wasn't my main point anyway. I was pointing out how long ago that was, and a lot of people weren't happy with it and were glad to see him go.

Managers are never hired with 5+ year plans. Never.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Of course, there isn't. But from what I saw, the team he left was the best. Maybe it needed McClaren to galvanise it, I dunno.
But that wasn't my main point anyway. I was pointing out how long ago that was, and a lot of people weren't happy with it and were glad to see him go.

Managers are never hired with 5+ year plans. Never.

They might be hired with that hope but it mostly never turns out that way.

Edited by RoyMac5

48 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

As others have said, Warne appears to be a guy who likes to be loved. Perhaps that was far easier at a club like Rotherham, where you can be a bit of a one-man band and know everyone from the tea lady to the chairman. At a bigger institution like derby with around 4 times the size of the fan base, the pressure also gets ramped up. It wouldn't surprise me if things haven't improved by Christmas, either results or performance-wise, that he agrees to a mutual termination. He doesn't appear to be enjoying himself in interviews, even when we win, he still has digs at the fan base, so it might well be that we won't have to fire him. Clowes might just need to show him that there is an exit door in the near future, and he'll walk through it. 

He won't walk.  He will back himself to turn things around. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

We’ve got 2 options; 

Or what about option 3, appoint Warnock or someone like him -  a 'Jim Smith' type, been there, done it older manager - but also appoint his potential successor to work alongside him as an assistant. Someone like Curtis Davies maybe? I could see Cutis learning the ropes alongside alongside someone like that for a season or so and then taking us to the next level 

It’s not about getting a long term manager it’s about having a long term plan for the club

when warne is inevitably sacked the club will need another rebuild. A club with a plan will change the manager and not much else would need to be changed

i can’t give you a name of who the answer is, I haven’t done enough research but I can tell you there is dozens of quality coaches in youth football than are dying to manage a club like ours and look at where the two managers top of the championship have come from

as a club we’ve gotta take risks on managers now because we aren’t in a position to attract proven quality, you get cast offs in league one.

51 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

NC was about as long-term as we have ever got, and he was let go just as things were coming to fruition. 

That’s my point above , Nigel was building the club up even if it wasn’t him that was reaping the rewards, the foundations warne is putting in are made of quick sand

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't recall Warne having digs at our fanbase but my memory isn't what it's used to?