Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

He did.

I didn't think it wasn't necessarily a dig though. He was saying that sitting in, trying to be counter attacking isn't going to go down well at home.

What's wrong with that? It's his opinion and probably correct...at home you're expected to be on the front foot.

It might well just be my interpretation of the comment which is off tbh. I interpreted it as frustration at our lack of patience at home when it produces results more than the way you've explained it. Like I say, I might well have been wrong in my interpretation of that remark though. 

The whole debate is being skewed by the constant harping of a minority. 

To such an extent that I'm being positioned as a happy clapper, Warne-loving fanboy .... when actually I consider myself pretty neutral.

I don't subscribe to the narrative of the hoofball that is being pedalled. I've been to a few games and watched all but 1 or 2 of the other games and we can be fairly direct but it's nothing like what is being repeatedly claimed.

The derision about him being a PE teacher is ludicrous,  do fans think all the other managers are Professors of Football? I have 2 friends who were managed by Warnock back in the day and they both said he was a decent bloke who had a good way about him but tended to favour certain players. No eulogies, no mention of him being a master technician or a chin-stroking football philosopher.

We are right in the play off picture, win our game in hand and we are 7 points from automatic promotion with 3/4s of a season left.

Players to come back...let's just see how we are doing at Christmas before we press panic and start the whole process again.

I'm taking a break from posting now about the football as it's become pointless just answering the same 'facts' over and over.

3 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

You know a manager is doing well when the only argument people have for not getting rid is "we can't afford to".

Whether we can or can not afford this is going to cost 2 arms and 2 legs, PW and his staff of many including the recruitment officer we got from Oxford(who are doing better without him)will cost a good few million, It would appear to some that DC has gone into the market to make rods for peoples backs😉

4 more years 😁 

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The whole debate is being skewed by the constant harping of a minority. 

To such an extent that I'm being positioned as a happy clapper, Warne-loving fanboy .... when actually I consider myself pretty neutral.

I don't subscribe to the narrative of the hoofball that is being pedalled. I've been to a few games and watched all but 1 or 2 of the other games and we can be fairly direct but it's nothing like what is being repeatedly claimed.

The derision about him being a PE teacher is ludicrous,  do fans think all the other managers are Professors of Football? I have 2 friends who were managed by Warnock back in the day and they both said he was a decent bloke who had a good way about him but tended to favour certain players. No eulogies, no mention of him being a master technician or a chin-stroking football philosopher.

We are right in the play off picture, win our game in hand and we are 7 points from automatic promotion with 3/4s of a season left.

Players to come back...let's just see how we are doing at Christmas before we press panic and start the whole process again.

I'm taking a break from posting now about the football as it's become pointless just answering the same 'facts' over and over.

But if the same types of performances are yielding the same unsatisfactory results then how can people comment on the latest match without repeating themselves? 

Plus if none of the negative posters commented then surely the forum would just be an echo chamber to a percentage of fans liking. 

Personally I’ve been Warne in for awhile but unfortunately I’ve had enough of the tedious play and predictability. Blackpool was a perfect match to shut me and others up and I was happy to be shushed. But then we follow it up by drawing against Cheltenham. 

When’s the last time we scored a last minute winner or equaliser? It’s the opposite to Mac1 or Lampard season when we could go 2 down and still have belief that we’d win.

5 minutes ago, Hector74 said:

I’ve never heard of a modern day manager say I wanted to give up the middle of the pitch to have more play out wide. I can see why we have no control in matches if that’s his tactics. 

Neither have I, But some on here are saying that PW said it on radio Derby, As I never heard it then it may never have happened and fans are making mischief 😁...over to you Tyler 😉  

21 minutes ago, Hector74 said:

I’ve never heard of a modern day manager say I wanted to give up the middle of the pitch to have more play out wide. I can see why we have no control in matches if that’s his tactics. 

I find this amazing, especially after seeing how Bird grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, only for Warne to change it. Why?

I might understand a tactic if we were playing Liverpool or Leicester, but Cheltenham?! This going into games looking to keep the other team at bay by changing our tactics is just not something that can give the players a positive mindset. I cannot appreciate the underdog mentality that is being promoted by Warne.

1 hour ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Young, ambitious manager would look at our squad now and be saying to DC 'Yeah OK great club, facilities etc but how much budget do I have to overhaul the age and skills profile of this team'. Playing rosenior football with this team would lead to catastrophic errors.

Although I wasn't overly critical of the recruitment in the summer, in fact I thought it to be OK other than the lack of a striker, you look at it now and think if the current inconsistencies continue and we are in L1 next summer, we are saddled with a lot of players at the very back end of the prime being kind. Bird will go, Sibley just isn't going to be the player we hoped and I doubt the academy is bearing fruit to the extent we want or need it to so quickly. This ultimately leaves the goodwill of the owner to complete overhaul the squad yet again. I don't wish to understate the problems before DC took charge but in the here and now, its not a hugely rosey outlook in the short term. Even promotion wouldn't altogether negate the issues with the squad

Players who’d be fine with the ball expected at their feet (with a few tweaks) 

Wildsmith Nyambe Wilson Ward Nelson Cash Rooney Foz Elder 

Fornah Smith Bird Hourihane Thompson Sibley 

Barkhuizen Waghorn TJJ  

Players who wouldn’t look any worse with ball expected at their feet 

NML Collins 

Think big improvements could be made just with a better philosophy personally. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find this amazing, especially after seeing how Bird grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, only for Warne to change it. Why?

I might understand a tactic if we were playing Liverpool or Leicester, but Cheltenham?! This going into games looking to keep the other team at bay by changing our tactics is just not something that can give the players a positive mindset. I cannot appreciate the underdog mentality that is being promoted by Warne.

So if he'd said  eg 'Cheltenham are powerful team, who will be happy to pack their midfield, sit in and try make us play our way through them. We know we have to shift the ball quickly, get behind them, attack the flanks and get the ball in quickly because their center backs are strong in the air and they will fancy themselves if they get set...' 

Would that be the most unbelievable thing any manager ever said? 

Maybe at half time he reflected that it wasn't happening and it was all too slow (he said that at the end). He brought Bird on, changed the tactics (which apparently he never does and he leaves every substitution til the 85th minute).  And you know what ....we would have won had Collins got a decent pair of shooting boots (apparently that's Warne's fault too for not recruiting someone better too and getting a Premier League striker who is injury prone).

As it is.. I don't actually know which version is true but any incident, issue, decision is just twisted to make the same point.  Yeh we get it...you dont rate him but its sooo boring on here at the moment.

Edited by Chester40

52 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So if he'd said  eg 'Cheltenham are powerful team, who will be happy to pack their midfield, sit in and try make us play our way through them. We know we have to shift the ball quickly, get behind them, attack the flanks and get the ball in quickly because their center backs are strong in the air and they will fancy themselves if they get set...' 

Would that be the most unbelievable thing any manager ever said? 

Maybe at half time he reflected that it wasn't happening and it was all too slow (he said that at the end). He brought Bird on, changed the tactics (which apparently he never does and he leaves every substitution til the 85th minute).  And you know what ....we would have won had Collins got a decent pair of shooting boots (apparently that's Warne's fault too for not recruiting someone better too and getting a Premier League striker who is injury prone).

As it is.. I don't actually know which version is true but any incident, issue, decision is just twisted to make the same point.  Yeh we get it...you dont rate him but its sooo boring on here at the moment.

I would have laughed heartily at the juxtaposition of strong in the air centre backs not being able to deal with Collins, and that them getting set would mean our midfield was nullified - except as soon a Bird came on we saw different. So what did Warne do? He changed it and made Bird mostly ineffectual. Well, you have to laugh. 😄

Why wouldn't I not rate Warne. What do you rate about him then?

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I would have laughed heartily at the juxtaposition of strong in the air centre backs not being able to deal with Collins, and that them getting set would mean our midfield was nullified - except as soon a Bird came on we saw different. So what did Warne do? He changed it and made Bird mostly ineffectual. Well, you have to laugh. 😄

Why wouldn't I not rate Warne. What do you rate about him then?

So you admit, Warne changed things and you saw a huge difference. Yet you are using that as a criticism of him because he should have done that before!!  ( if he had, then obviously it would have been used to explain why we have so many injured players because he doesn't let then recover properly).

For starters, he's been promoted out of this League 3 times with a team (as you keep pointing out) that is nowhere as big as our's.

Why do I need to rate him...he's around the play offs and I hope he's going to push on towards top 2. If he doesn't then we will need to look at it when it's appropriate and you can hitch your cart to the next bandwagon until they don't win every game and you can rise n repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So you admit, Warne changed things and you saw a huge difference. Yet you are using that as a criticism of him because he should have done that before!!  ( if he had, then obviously it would have been used to explain why we have so many injured players because he doesn't let then recover properly).

For starters, he's been promoted out of this League 3 times with a team (as you keep pointing out) that is nowhere as big as our's.

Why do I need to rate him...he's around the play offs and I hope he's going to push on towards top 2. If he doesn't then we will need to look at it when it's appropriate and you can hitch your cart to the next bandwagon until they don't win every game and you can rise n repeat. 

Do you enjoy watching the 🐏 currently 🤔

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

...Why do I need to rate him...he's around the play offs and I hope he's going to push on towards top 2. If he doesn't then we will need to look at it when it's appropriate and you can hitch your cart to the next bandwagon until they don't win every game and you can rise n repeat. 

Oh I see when you've had enough it's appropriate? What a laugh. 😄