Derby v Carlisle (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

I heard you like polls  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tuesday showed what we’ve been missing so far, movement and pace in midfield to allow us to play the football Warne has talked about.  Obviously helped by Sibley and Barkhuizen returning, Embleton coming in and Fornah looked up to speed.

I wouldn’t be averse to 3/5 at the back as we now have the personnel to be flexible and more fluid.  Smith, Fornah plus either Embleton or Sibley in 3-5-2 with 2 of Collins, Washington and Wagorn up front.  Alternatively, Smith and Fornah then 3 of Sibley, Embleton, Barkhuizen, NML, Collins, Washington and Waghorn in the attacking 3.

Lots of options, probably for the first time this season, that could be effective with 3, 4 or 5 at the back.  As someone once said, “Players win you games, not tactics”.  He then went on to say something about people talking a lot about tactics and dominos, must have had a premonition about this forum 😉.

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

Thought i'd have a look at Carlisle since i don't know much of them or how they play. So far they have had only one game with over 50% possession which was vs Harrogate in the league cup (51% that game) so this could be a very ugly game to watch in terms of keeping the ball.

acm5fL.gif.c2ab758194a47185a4593d5bf26f9501.gif

2 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Thought i'd have a look at Carlisle since i don't know much of them or how they play. So far they have had only one game with over 50% possession which was vs Harrogate in the league cup (51% that game) so this could be a very ugly game to watch in terms of keeping the ball.

We tend to dominate against the bottom half sides, and struggle to pass it against top half sides. I like Mellish, Moxon and Guy, so I'm curious how they cope against us.

I expect an entertaining game with 60% possession and 20 shots.

13 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Tuesday showed what we’ve been missing so far, movement and pace in midfield to allow us to play the football Warne has talked about.  Obviously helped by Sibley and Barkhuizen returning, Embleton coming in and Fornah looked up to speed.

I wouldn’t be averse to 3/5 at the back as we now have the personnel to be flexible and more fluid.  Smith, Fornah plus either Embleton or Sibley in 3-5-2 with 2 of Collins, Washington and Wagorn up front.  Alternatively, Smith and Fornah then 3 of Sibley, Embleton, Barkhuizen, NML, Collins, Washington and Waghorn in the attacking 3.

Lots of options, probably for the first time this season, that could be effective with 3, 4 or 5 at the back.  As someone once said, “Players win you games, not tactics”.  He then went on to say something about people talking a lot about tactics and dominos, must have had a premonition about this forum 😉.

😁👍

“Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”

Brian Howard Clough 1935 - 2004

8 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

😁👍

“Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”

Brian Howard Clough 1935 - 2004

A quote often taken out of context. Any tactic will work, as long as you have the right players for that system.

Playing a long ball game up to Walcott and Defoe would be useless, so too would a gegenpress when you have a midfield 3 of Eustace, Huddlestone and 2021 Rooney.

25 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

“Back to the Grind”? Come on, they are just playing games, and being paid a fortune to do it. A grind is when you have to get up at 3AM every morning to work a 12 - 15 hour day and still not know if you can pay all your bills.

Cardboard box?

Aye.

You were lucky. 

13 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Well, it shouldn't because we should set up there expecting to dominate the ball. If we go there setting up like we are playing away at the Nou Camp against Guardiola's Barcelona I am going to actually lose my mind.