Squad until Jan

DCFC1388

So now we are done for this transfer window, unless we get any free agents in, how do we feel about our squad...

Based on a 4231 or 433 which we have played in our last 2 games...

GK - Wildsmith / Vickers / Loach

RB - Ward / Wilson
RCB -  Nelson / Rooney
LCB - Cashin / Bradley
LB - Forsyth / Elder

RCM - Smith / Fornah
LCM - Hourihane / Bird

RM - NML / Sibley
CAM - Embleton / Thompson
LM - Waghorn / Barkhuizen

ST - Washington / John-Jules / Collins

Obviously some players can play other positions (e.g Waggy & Sibley can play across the 3). I put Sibley on the right purely to show 2 in each position.

Squad of 24 plus the likes of Bardell, Robinson & Brown to potentially step up from the academy.

I personally think if we stick to this formation, it suits our players & its good enough for top 2.

Edited by DCFC1388

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

So now we are done for this transfer window, unless we get any free agents in, how do we feel about our squad...

RB - Ward / Wilson
RCB -  Nelson / Rooney
LCB - Cashin / Bradley
LB - Forsyth / Elder

RCM - Smith / Fornah
LCM - Hourihane / Bird

RM - NML / Sibley

Obviously some players can play other positions (e.g Waggy & Sibley can play across the 3). I put Sibley on the right purely to show 2 in each position.

Squad of 24 plus the likes of Bardell, Robinson & Brown to potentially step up from the academy.

6 not available for tomorrow, hopefully that will be down to 3 out after the international break.

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

RB - Ward / Wilson
RCB -  Nelson / Rooney
LCB - Cashin / Bradley
LB - Forsyth / Elder

RCM - Smith / Fornah
LCM - Hourihane / Bird

RM - NML / Sibley

I personally think if we stick to this formation, it suits our players & its good enough for top 2.

I don’t agree with you saying it’s enough for top 2, but that’s mainly due to a weird contradiction in my character where my optimism gets cancelled out by lower expectations (that way I can’t be let down and don’t have the stress some experience). 
I do think the squad is capable of competing towards the top end of the league, it could be better but it could also be a lot worse. We’ve got cover across most positions, some flexibility in terms of formations (despite the arguments as to whether the manager knows how to use those options), a slightly better age profile than we had last season, and improved depth in the academy. Time for them to show up and deliver points for the Rams faithful. 🐏 

A squad on paper that should be competing for top 6.

Will the players gel? Will the manager be brave enough to drop certain players if others fit better, (no England manager has done that since Alf Ramsey for instance).

There's a lot of luck/chance/refs decisions etc that go into a promotion season, the only way us fans can influence it is by giving our players confidence and support when they need it and making it hostile for the away team.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

A squad on paper that should be competing for top 6.

Will the players gel? Will the manager be brave enough to drop certain players if others fit better, (no England manager has done that since Alf Ramsey for instance).

There's a lot of luck/chance/refs decisions etc that go into a promotion season, the only way us fans can influence it is by giving our players confidence and support when they need it and making it hostile for the away team.

Well put Utch, 2nd post of yours totally agree with tonight.

We’ve got a good squad, now let’s get behind them. I’ll be disappointed if we’re not in the mix for top 6 or automatics , but either way let’s roar them on. This league can be conquered with our current squad.

Glad the window is shut, now we can focus on the football; those concerned with our front line should compare Waghorn, Washington , Collins, even NML with others. We’re as good as any in this league.

UTR 

33 minutes ago, sage said:

6 not available for tomorrow, hopefully that will be down to 3 out after the international break.

I hope all the injured players loosen up with a spot of Morris Dancing in Belper next weekend.

(I'm doing my best to promote the BELPER TAPAS TRAIL  on the 8th and 9th of September) 👍🏿

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well put Utch, 2nd post of yours totally agree with tonight.

Please enlighten me why you didn't agree with my other posts. Include reasoning and logic as to why they weren't to your taste and what you intend to do to improve the situation.

That's the sort of s**** i get at work so its only fair i share it on here.

Up the feckin Rams! 

It definitely seems like we have enough now, perhaps a left wing back and/or right back to balance the options a little is lacking but feel like we have plenty elsewhere. It’s now down to the coaching staff to find solutions within the squad and improve players.

1) Important to get Sonny Bradley and Callum Elder integrated within the team. Both were brought in to be instrumental first-team players, yet both have looked miles off it since their move. Warne & co need to get a tune out of those two in particular.

2) Midfield balance - we have a plethora of midfield options and it’s important for us to find the best mix between them all. We have too many good players not to find a solution, but it’s been an Achilles heal so far this season. 

3) Attacking players - we have Martyn Waghorn who has picked up where McGoldrick left off. We need to push Washington and Barkhuizen to see what they can offer, not to mention Sibley and John-Jules who both have an opportunity to push the more senior pros this season. The good news is that if you aren’t scoring or contributing there is an array of options now. We have wingers, attacking kids and strikers in abundance. 

4) Defensive shape - our biggest problem has been the shape of the team defensively, critical mistakes at the worst times have cost us goals already. We don’t have a lot of speed at the back (which is something we probably should’ve addressed) so we need to make sure tactically we’re on point. If Elder and Bradley come good, along with Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Rooney, Ward & Wilson. It’s a very good defence. 

Honestly, to me, at this level, it feels like we have all the parts. We have a squad now, officially 28 players including the likes of Brown, Robinson, Bardell and Radcliffe. 24 seasoned professionals. It seems like a good mixture. The fact we’ve kept Cashin, to me, states that it’s promotion or bust this season - balls out on the line. The management team are hopefully up to the challenge. 

Squad looks fairly good now, we have to be challenging for the playoffs at least. 

Shame we couldn’t get a line leading l striker in, however if John-Jules stays fit and hits form we may not need one.  Also really pleased we looked to have addressed the physicality problem in midfield with Fornah, been needing that sort of player for a good while!

Over to you Mr Warne time to earn your corn.

When you look around the league, you’re hard pressed to find a more complete squad. Barnsley have took a sledge hammer to their side - losing both Anderson and Kitching and replacing with non-league players absolutely stinks. Bolton and Blackpool are the only other two. Wigan obviously started well but thin along the ground, same with Oxford. 

We really don’t have any excuse. 

Happy with the squad, so glad Cashin is still a Ram, now we have our squad, good competition in all positions , looking forward to seeing how we gel, starting with a good performance and result at Bolton on saturday, Fornah in for Smith, then the same team who beat the posh. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan