Squad until Jan

DCFC1388

5 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Still have my reservations although 5 goals would suggest otherwise. 

We may go up top 2 but we’re not as strong as Plymouth or Ipswich in my opinion and that rightly or wrongly is my barometer.

Time will tell how good we are. But I think the squad on paper is good enough to compete for promotion.

It's hard to argue that we're not looking much better (on paper) than the squad we had last season. I don't think anyone would say it's been a perfect transfer window, and we are of course still limited financially, but the extra time and stability to plan and build looks to have made a big difference in terms of finding the players we want, rather than whatever we can get.

Goalkeepers - not much difference but I'd say Vickers is better than McGee. We're better prepared should Wildsmith pick up an injury or suspension.

Defenders - despite the early mistakes, we're by far better at the back. We've kept Cashin, We have players in the full-back positions who are natural in those positions now, and we've reduced the average age whilst still having good experience.

Midfield - I again think we are stronger here. Fornah and Embleton might end up disappointing, but despite losing Knight I think we have a good balance of energy and experience in defensive and more attacking options. Thompson looks to have improved a lot. Robinson is closer to the first team and we've added to quality in the U21 side should we need to rely on that.

Attackers - We've lost McGoldrick and wondered where the goals would come from. We've scored 10 in the league so far, only Barnsley have more. We can't rely on Waghorn like we did McGoldrick, but we've got at least 4 strikers to choose from, rather than 2 last year. And often McGoldrick and Collins started games meaning we had nothing on the bench to change things, I'm not surprised we fell off towards the end, we looked knackered and had no quality to bolster games or manage them like we could've.

The overall quality of the squad looks better and no side in this league looks anywhere near the levels of Plymouth and Ipswich. It's anyone's season this year, so we have every chance of being one of those 3. At 6/5 favourites, the bookies still seem to think so at least.

24 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

image.png.bbb548c1eef02cf89c43788d51fb0530.png

If we continue this lob-sided 3-5-2/4-4-2 system.

We're potentially only 2 injures away from not being able to play with 3 CBs

We can't keep getting away with playing NML in RWB. Teams are going to realise what we're doing soon. Rooney was exposed massively at times against Peterborough 

I don't know where NML or Barkhuizen even fit in this system 

I expect Fornah to replace Smith at some point which will hopefully free up Hourihane more.

I still think our players are better suited to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, but Warne's committed to playing 2 up front now after signing so many strikers. 

image.png.23a17a6e98215650fdc585acbe110520.png

I don’t think we play with 3 at the back. We ply with 4. We just push Fozzy up high as an attacking fullback. This overloads the left hand side creating more space for NML to exploit on the right. 

That’s what I’m seeing anyway 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

image.png.bbb548c1eef02cf89c43788d51fb0530.png

If we continue this lob-sided 3-5-2/4-4-2 system.

We're potentially only 2 injures away from not being able to play with 3 CBs

We can't keep getting away with playing NML in RWB. Teams are going to realise what we're doing soon. Rooney was exposed massively at times against Peterborough 

I don't know where NML or Barkhuizen even fit in this system 

I expect Fornah to replace Smith at some point which will hopefully free up Hourihane more.

I still think our players are better suited to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, but Warne's committed to playing 2 up front now after signing so many strikers. 

image.png.23a17a6e98215650fdc585acbe110520.png

Well we haven't been playing 3 at the back of late and in fact our formation has been closer to the one you posted that we should be playing, the 433.

So other than that, great post mate, keep up the drivel 👍

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Oxford for me, their midfield was alot better than ours at Pride Park and they play well as a team.Wigan are better than us as well and might finish above us even with the point deduction. 

Oxford have some good players, but the squad is thin. Same with Wigan. I’d go with comparative starting XIs but not squad.

On the assumption that Rooney will miss the rest of the season:

First 11

Wildsmith

Smith   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Ward   Bird   Thompson   Sibley

Waghorn   John-Jules

Second 11

Vickers

Wilson   Bardell   Bradley   Elder

Mendez-Laing   Fornah   Hourihane   Barkhuizen

Collins   Washington

Edited by Ghost of Clough

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On the assumption that Rooney will miss the rest of the season:

First 11

Wildsmith

Smith   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Ward   Bird   Thompson   Sibley

Waghorn   John-Jules

Second 11

Vickers

Wilson   Bardell   Bradley   Elder

Mendez-Laing   Fornah   Hourihane   Barkhuizen

Collins   Washington

Not necessarily agreeing with the individual selections, but your post does highlight that this squad screams out for a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1

On 02/09/2023 at 08:58, PistoldPete said:

I am surprised we didn't get another RB in on loan given two are out long term injured. Maybe with extra midfielders Smith will switch back to RB for now? 

As I was saying… before Rooney got injured even.. why did we not get a RB on loan?

Assuming everyone is fit then my first and second teams are as follows using 433 

Wildsmith 

Rooney Nelson Cashin Fozzy 

NML Tomo Hourihane 

Embledon JJ Waghorn 

Vickers 

Ward Bradley Cox Elder 

Smith Fornah Sibley 

Barks Collins Washington 

On 02/09/2023 at 13:01, EnigmaRam said:

I don’t think we play with 3 at the back. We ply with 4. We just push Fozzy up high as an attacking fullback. This overloads the left hand side creating more space for NML to exploit on the right. 

That’s what I’m seeing anyway 🤷‍♂️

On 02/09/2023 at 13:20, Tombo said:

Well we haven't been playing 3 at the back of late and in fact our formation has been closer to the one you posted that we should be playing, the 433.

If one full back is so much higher than the other, how can it still be classed as a back 4? From what I've seen, they change between a back 3 and back 4 in games, but it looks more like a back 3 most of the time.🤷‍♂️