v Burton Albion (A) Match Thread

Kernow

I'm not too sure we can read a huge amount into today other than 3 points, better performance and job done with the caveat that it was job done against a poor side who are likely to be bottom 6 in my opinion especially if their manager takes his rather bizarre take on the match into his dressing room.

Defense looked better but I'd expect two experienced big centre halves to be completely comfortable when all the football is in front of them with very little pace in behind or out wide. I thought Bird was our best player particularly second half and the sense of relief within the team when we scored the second was palpable and perhaps indicitive of the pressure they have felt this week.

The sense this week has been that a loss today would have been utterly catastrophic and the dissenting minority may well have gotten a lot louder with the nature of the game. Despite the lurching nature of football, I doubt this has sold the entire fanbase on Warneball. Harder tests to come 

Edited by Sheepinthedales
Mis type

33 minutes ago, Pottig said:

I said there were people who needed to give their heads a wobble. There are evidently people who need to give their heads a wobble. I never said there were loads of people calling for his head. I said there were loads of people who needed to stop overreacting. You're either purposely misrepresenting what I said or just misinterpreting it.

It's a forum mate. A place for a bit of a discussion and sometimes a bit of a laugh. Get an early night and I'm sure tomorrow you'll be over me having a few pot shots at prima donnas on here. ✌️

Already over it, and I'll admit I did probably overreact to your post, it's just that is was soooo predictable that if we got a good result there would be posts trying to claim the high ground and unfortunately for you, yours was the first 😄

I felt the first 10 minutes showed real promise, we got off to a good start thanks to a fantastic delivery from Hourihane and header from Collins. Moments later, NML should’ve scored thanks to fantastic work from Collins. Forsyth then had that weird back pass header that looped over Wildsmith and out for a corner and then I felt the panic in the team. We were then comfortably second best all over the pitch, mostly in midfield, but Bradley had a few weird moments, as did Wildsmith. 

At half-time, I wanted to see a couple of changes and a bit of game management. Warne opted to keep the players who ended the first half on the pitch and from the kick off where we went back to Cashin and he was pressured to which Burton won a throw-in, you’re expecting the worse after how the week has gone. Nevertheless, from that moment onwards, we took control of the game and created a number of very good opportunities - it finished 3-0 but Bird should’ve scored and NML probably twice. The improvement in the midfield in the second half was excellent and very pleasing. If we can get the ball to Hourihane in and around the box then there is not many better in the league at that range and so it proved. Good to see Waghorn come on and have an immediate effect, honestly looks far too good for this level technically and is still fit enough to get about. Washington off the mark. All in all, a very good second half performance after what was a fairly concerning first one. 

An away win and a good second half performance is definitely two things we struggled with last season, though, so maybe this win is bigger than we thought - our first in the league at Burton too. 

Player ratings for what it’s worth - 

Wildsmith - 6

Nelson - 7
Bradley - 6
Cashin - 6

Ward - 7
Hourihane - 8
Smith - 6
Bird - 8
Forsyth - 7

NML - 7
Collins - 8

Waghorn - 7
Washington - 7
Thompson - 6
Elder, Wilson - N/A

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Already over it, and I'll admit I did probably overreact to your post, it's just that is was soooo predictable that if we got a good result there would be posts trying to claim the high ground and unfortunately for you, yours was the first 😄

Br honest - there would have a lot more of the negative variety if we had lost. 

The narrative being pedalled is that people are jumping on anyone who disagrees and its polarised both ways. But for me the sensible middle ground over time has been shifted not by 'happy clappers' but by the more negative posters. 

After a game or two, the middle ground shouldn't be 'there needs to be a huge improvement in the next few games or his job may be under threat' - which now seems to be the moderate opinion as compared to the overt  'he's not up to it', 'the club's too big', 'the football is awful hoof ball and I can't watch it' etc stuff.

Everything seems more extreme and immediate than it ever used to be because people want change overnight and if not just demand to move on to the next manager.

Well that wasn't very nice to watch, but the result looks beautiful! We started pushing forwards, and Collins was doing well from the off. Indeed I think it was him who was fouled for the free-kick for the first goal. As he got to his feet, out on the wing, I yelled at the telly in my Asterdam residence "Now Colly get in the box where you belong". He did, and he scored! Funny that! He scored twice in the pre-season matches simply by being in the box on the end of crosses, but for the first two matches he was anywhere but. Today he was still playing everywhere, but making a pretty good job of it. Well done, James! Hopefully your back will seem a little lighter as people, myself included, get off it. 

The ref didn't do anything particularly outrageous today, but was still pretty poor. He booked 3 Derby players for next to nothing, but there was no card for a clear elbow to the face on two occasions. Incidentally the Burton manager wasn't booked for kicking the ball away, even though he was guilty. He saw Collins running in to pick the ball up for a throw, and flicked it to another Derby player, trying to make it look like he was getting the ball to our man, but winding Collins up. He was booked for haranguing the ref and the 4th official, and simply wouldn't let it go. So technically it should have been a double yellow. He is a right mardy whinger - early in the second half Smith picked up the ball to take a throw - yes, Smith did touch the ball in the second half!, and the Burton manager was waving his arms about and raving that Smith had taken a step further up the touchline from where it went out. Which completely ignores John "Post Code" Brayford who stole 20 yards for every throw in he took. He missed a clear foul on Wildsmith i the second half, but did nothing about the Burton strikers falling like flies every time a cross went into the Derby box. While everyone is crying out for consistency from the match officials, what we don't want is for them to be consistently poor. I suspect we are going to be disappointed.

It was a much improved display today, despite a few worries in defence still, and clearly there is still much improvement to do. A good thin is the speed in which we want to get the ball forwards. Cold be exciting, but equally could be Warne-Ball! Incidentally, NML's shot straight at the keeper in the first half was because the lay-off from Collins fell just too far away from him. So instead of picking his spot and belting it, he had to stretch just to be able to toe-poke the ball in whatever direction he could manage. Unlucky!

I find it odd that we are choosing man-of-the -match from the two players who have had the most stick so far this season for their performances. Corner turned? 

First half wasnt brilliant...going ahead made it acceptable. But...i thought we were excellent 2nd half. Max Bird head and shoulders above any player on the pitch. 0-5 it could easily have been. Need to keep hold of Bird. Real pressure from clubs. Its gonna be a hectic couple of weeks transfer wise of yes or no games. We need to back the 2nd half performance up Tuesday and get the snowball rolling. 

6 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Is it just me or anyone else feel PW is taking a more subdued\contrite tone to his interviews since his post match faux pas on Tuesday night. I sort of detected a more down beat tone to his presser on Friday and his pitch side summary today??   

I thought this. Whether this is a conscious thing, he's been asked to by the comms guys at the club or he has just genuinely felt under stress, I'm not sure. Having said that, it would have been unwise to get too carried away today