Championship 23/24

oomarkwright

Interesting appointment this for both Championship and League One.

One thing that sticks with me on this is something Darren Robinson said on Radio Derby and I’ve repeated a few times. There are managers out there who win nothing but can set a team up to look good and show that they have a style of play, and it catches the eye of pundits and chairmen but it essentially means nothing and there’s managers who can go job to job doing that. It benefits them as a manager but not the club they leave behind.

Football is a funny game, and there certainly isn’t a formula tonappointing ghe right manager, but this strikes me as that type of appointment. It’s a ‘who’s doing well in the league below, young and can bring in fresh ideas’ approach, but I’d say 9/10 it doesn’t really put you in a better position to where you left off.

Manning is a strange one. Pompey had a look at him as their potential manager about a year or so ago I think and basically said "he wouldn't stay long enough for us to appoint him" ie. He would jump ship for a higher job the second it was offered.

Gets teams playing decent football, although his mk dons side were comical trying to play from the back, gave away a goal easily every single game and were very very soft centered.

He strikes me as someone who has ambitions to get "to the top quickly" almost a pound land Graham Potter and realised early on that a style of play was very very important to this and getting the media in particular to parrot this information is important to building a profile.

He has certainly left Oxford in a much much better place, with a stronger squad and infrastructure in place so he must have been doing something right.

If he does well at Bristol fully expect him to jump to a lower prem team/ fallen giant in the championship in about 12 to 15 months.

54 minutes ago, KBB said:

Manning is a strange one. Pompey had a look at him as their potential manager about a year or so ago I think and basically said "he wouldn't stay long enough for us to appoint him" ie. He would jump ship for a higher job the second it was offered.

Gets teams playing decent football, although his mk dons side were comical trying to play from the back, gave away a goal easily every single game and were very very soft centered.

He strikes me as someone who has ambitions to get "to the top quickly" almost a pound land Graham Potter and realised early on that a style of play was very very important to this and getting the media in particular to parrot this information is important to building a profile.

He has certainly left Oxford in a much much better place, with a stronger squad and infrastructure in place so he must have been doing something right.

If he does well at Bristol fully expect him to jump to a lower prem team/ fallen giant in the championship in about 12 to 15 months.

Tbf, I saw an MK Dons fan on Twitter saying that he had the chance to jump ship when he was managing them and didn't take it, then things turned to poo.

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Interesting appointment this for both Championship and League One.

One thing that sticks with me on this is something Darren Robinson said on Radio Derby and I’ve repeated a few times. There are managers out there who win nothing but can set a team up to look good and show that they have a style of play, and it catches the eye of pundits and chairmen but it essentially means nothing and there’s managers who can go job to job doing that. It benefits them as a manager but not the club they leave behind.

Football is a funny game, and there certainly isn’t a formula tonappointing ghe right manager, but this strikes me as that type of appointment. It’s a ‘who’s doing well in the league below, young and can bring in fresh ideas’ approach, but I’d say 9/10 it doesn’t really put you in a better position to where you left off.

There are managers with flawed CVs. Both Rowett and Lampard can point to the fact they reached the playoffs with Derby, but both left behind a mess.

Their CV and win % is what they can point to when speaking to potential future employers. 

Then you have Nigel Clough who left both Burton and Derby in far better position than he found them, despite not having a particularly favourable win %.

Ideally you want to find a manager who plays with an identity, improves the younger players, creates a good environment, can work within a budget and provide winning football (entertaining being a bonus). 

There are so few of them about who can tick all boxes. Nigel Clough was actually close, but ultimately we didn’t win enough under him. Bristol City will hope they have stumbled on one.

Ipswich seem to have one. Daniel Farke is another at Championship level. 

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There are managers with flawed CVs. Both Rowett and Lampard can point to the fact they reached the playoffs with Derby, but both left behind a mess.

Their CV and win % is what they can point to when speaking to potential future employers. 

Then you have Nigel Clough who left both Burton and Derby in far better position than he found them, despite not having a particularly favourable win %.

Ideally you want to find a manager who plays with an identity, improves the younger players, creates a good environment, can work within a budget and provide winning football (entertaining being a bonus). 

There are so few of them about who can tick all boxes. Nigel Clough was actually close, but ultimately we didn’t win enough under him. Bristol City will hope they have stumbled on one.

Ipswich seem to have one. Daniel Farke is another at Championship level. 

To be fair to Rowett did he really trust Mel enough to take risks on younger players? Probably hoped to poohouse us up using Curtis etc and then he’ll always have Derby promotion winner on his cv.

Think Rowett’s record is pretty solid minus Stoke. He’s just missing a promotion or two to cement him as a very good manager. 

Frank’s trajectory looks poor in comparison. Had his dream job and fluffed it, stunk out Everton and now is back to being linked in the championship.

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Brum have issued a statement that "Tony Mowbray requires medical treatment which means he will be temporarily stepping away from the on-site management of the Club for a period of approximately six to eight weeks"....

Whilst I don't hold any good will for Birmingham City FC, I do hope Mowbray recovers soon. He's always seemed a decent chap to me on the odd occasions I've heard him talk. 

Sheffield Wednesday have Nico Schulz training with them at present. Definitely a player above their standard in terms of ability, but he’s also currently a week away from facing aggravated assault charges against his exgirlfriend, including allegations he kicked her in the stomach while pregnant to try to induce a miscarriage. Just seems another sad case of football caring more for money and performance than morality.
https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-danny-rohl-nico-schulz-borussia-dortmund-4528963

31 minutes ago, JfR said:

Sheffield Wednesday have Nico Schulz training with them at present. Definitely a player above their standard in terms of ability, but he’s also currently a week away from facing aggravated assault charges against his exgirlfriend, including allegations he kicked her in the stomach while pregnant to try to induce a miscarriage. Just seems another sad case of football caring more for money and performance than morality.
https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-danny-rohl-nico-schulz-borussia-dortmund-4528963

And if they don’t have space for Hendricks in their squad, how do they have space for this guy?

Edited by TigerTedd

23 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

And if they don’t have space for Hendricks in their squad, how do they have space for this guy?

They had spaces leftover that they could had added Hendrick in, but chose to leave them empty, presumably so they could bring in one or two free agents instead.

37 minutes ago, JfR said:

They had spaces leftover that they could had added Hendrick in, but chose to leave them empty, presumably so they could bring in one or two free agents instead.

That seems a bit harsh on Hendrick. He’s not that bad is he? Can’t say I know, but he was great for us once upon a time. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Blimey 6 points seperate 12th & 22nd. And Sheff Wed have picked up it seems. Would love it if birmingham were one of the 3 to drop but can't see it. 

YesI noticed that….even Watford aren’t safe….

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It's heart breaking to see Stoke in the bottom three. 😀

There’s so many clubs that could end up in the bottom 3 within a couple of losses. I’m spoilt for choice. I’m not sure who I would rather get relegated. Boro, QPR, Stoke. It’s all so lovely. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

There’s so many clubs that could end up in the bottom 3 within a couple of losses. I’m spoilt for choice. I’m not sure who I would rather get relegated. Boro, QPR, Stoke. It’s all so lovely. 

Agreed. Ignoring the highly likely relegation of Rotherham, my 3 preferences for the drop would be (in any old order) - Stoke, Birmingham and Boro.