Championship 23/24

oomarkwright

15 minutes ago, David said:

Do you think Millwall fans would be sat in their Stone Island gear reading The Beautiful Game book at half time?

I really don't see them as a keep it on the carpet kind of demanding fan base.

I'll probably get told I'm wrong but i had them second behind stoke in terms of lovers of miseryball.

13 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I thought it was called the beautiful game, or am I getting confused with Women's Beach Volleyball?

Definitely getting confused with women's beach volleyball there, get yourself on YouTube 😂

Gary Rowett, tipped as the next big thing in English management.

A shame his football was/is awful and when he was at Derby, that magician called Vydra constantly masked how horrible the football was at times. I thought Gary and Millwall were a great fit. No one likes them, average in statue, dirty football and questionable fashion.

48 minutes ago, SSD said:

Gary Rowett, tipped as the next big thing in English management.

A shame his football was/is awful and when he was at Derby, that magician called Vydra constantly masked how horrible the football was at times. I thought Gary and Millwall were a great fit. No one likes them, average in statue, dirty football and questionable fashion.

I thought he was very proud of his trainers? Provided him the ultimate slithering style....

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought he was very proud of his trainers? Provided him the ultimate slithering style....

Think it went something like this.  

“All I would say about the trainer shout is, look, when this level of fashion hits Nottingham in about six months, you’ll probably see 25,000 people walking around Nottingham with these type of trainers on!

““Until someone opens a door to this type of style then unfortunately you’ll have to make do with wellies.”

We did alright under Rowett .  Ledley, Johnson, Winnall and Jerome kicking crap out of everyone with a bit of Vydra tearing people apart. He also quickly noted how dross Butterfield was.  I'd take it now. We scored goals and even outmuscled Warnocks goons. Warne would love Nugent in this team.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We did alright under Rowett .  Ledley, Johnson, Winnall and Jerome kicking crap out of everyone with a bit of Vydra tearing people apart. He also quickly noted how dross Butterfield was.  I'd take it now. We scored goals and even outmuscled Warnocks goons. Warne would love Nugent in this team.

I imagine he is a free agent. There's still time!

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Rowett tenure was not great. We went from 2nd at new year to scrapping 6th on the final day. The home loss to bottom team Sunderland and away defeat at Burton (also bottom of the table at the time) were particular “highlights”, not to forget trying to sit on a 1-0 lead at for the whole of the second leg at Fulham in the Play-offs.

It was very similar to what Warne is doing now but we had vydra who could score then.

Edited by Will the Ram

15 minutes ago, Will the Ram said:

Rowett tenure was not great. We went from 2nd at new year to scrapping 6th on the final day. The home loss to bottom team Sunderland and away defeat at Burton (also bottom of the table at the time) were particular “highlights”, not to forget trying to sit on a 1-0 lead at for the whole of the second leg at Fulham in the Play-offs.

It was very similar to what Warne is doing now but we had vydra who could score then.

Lost Ledley for 4 months as I recall, then Winnall bust his knee.  The Sunderland game was crap but overall a decent season and we had a good foundation, muscle and goals.  Unfortunately, we came up against a Fulham side who were blistering out wide with the young winger who I think went to Spurs but never recaptured that form and the fullback who went to West Ham.  I think they're the best side we've faced in the playoffs.  Rowett was tactically far better than Warne for me.

11 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

We only lost 6 league games from 5th of November onwards. Whilst we conceded 7 goals in the Sunderland and Burton games, we also smashed Brentford 3-0 and Cardiff (2nd) 3-1.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We only lost 6 league games from 5th of November onwards. Whilst we conceded 7 goals in the Sunderland and Burton games, we also smashed Brentford 3-0 and Cardiff (2nd) 3-1.

Doesn't change the fact that we went on a crap run that cost us any chance of automatic promotion. Typical post-Christmas collapse in form that he didn't manage to halt until towards the end of the season. And I'm a Rowett apologist - I have very fond memories of that pre-Christmas surge up the table.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Lost Ledley for 4 months as I recall, then Winnall bust his knee.  The Sunderland game was crap but overall a decent season and we had a good foundation, muscle and goals.  Unfortunately, we came up against a Fulham side who were blistering out wide with the young winger who I think went to Spurs but never recaptured that form and the fullback who went to West Ham.  I think they're the best side we've faced in the playoffs.  Rowett was tactically far better than Warne for me.

I wouldn’t exactly call a £40m a year wage bill a good foundation.

Gary Rowett (with the backing from an incredibly naive Mel), gambled on promotion in that season with no thought of the consequences of missing out.

Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome, Wisdom and Lawrence all ballooned our wage bill and we got not return from them. 

Rowett then left the trainwreck the moment he could as he knew we were done while Vydra was going to leave, Nugent was shot and the ageing players were in decline.

Then Lampard fluttered his eyelids and Mel embarked on one last mad do-or-die campaign like a roulette player mortgaging his house and putting it all one one row.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn’t exactly call a £40m a year wage bill a good foundation.

Gary Rowett (with the backing from an incredibly naive Mel), gambled on promotion in that season with no thought of the consequences of missing out.

Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome, Wisdom and Lawrence all ballooned our wage bill and we got not return from them. 

Rowett then left the trainwreck the moment he could as he knew we were done while Vydra was going to leave, Nugent was shot and the ageing players were in decline.

Then Lampard fluttered his eyelids and Mel embarked on one last mad do-or-die campaign like a roulette player mortgaging his house and putting it all one one row.

I can't imagine our wage bill that season was 40 million and transfer fees were facilitated by 16 million brought in sales that season and 12 million in the close season plus 2.5 million for the manager.  The damage was done under Clement and Lampard spending 12 million on a load of crap and another 4 on someone he had a big personality clash with and wouldn't play.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I can't imagine our wage bill that season was 40 million and transfer fees were facilitated by 16 million brought in sales that season and 12 million in the close season plus 2.5 million for the manager.  The damage was done under Clement and Lampard spending 12 million on a load of crap and another 4 on someone he had a big personality clash with and wouldn't play.

It was documented that our wage bill was at its peak in 2017-18 which was Gary Rowett’s season.

The damage was done before I agree. But rather than rectifying the situation, Mel doubled down with Rowett and then again with Lampard.

Mel’s tenure reminds me of those fake it until you make it start ups in the US.

Mel was so close to having the gamble pay off. All his shortcomings would have been swept under the carpet and he’d be thought of fondly if we had beaten Villa in the final. He would have sold us and made a profit.

We would probably be a parachute payment club now or in a second term in the PL getting battered like Sheffield United.