Championship 23/24

oomarkwright

14 hours ago, Ambitious said:

They’re going to build a 60,000 seater stadium apparently and spend the most of any championship side in history in the summer - which won’t change even if they’re relegated.

The bloke sounds like an out-of-touch lunatic with a new toy, .obviously these types always have a happy ending so I look forward to the conclusion. 

It’s like when Darlington moved into their 25,000 seater stadium and left 20,000 empty seats. Birmingham have never really been well supported despite the size of the city. 20-25 seems like their level so that’s potentially 35-40,000 empty seats and a huge billion pound project for nothing more than vanity. 

In fairness to the new owners, anyone with that much money and ambition would think along those lines. Most new stadiums seem to attract thousands of new fans. We didn't always sell out the BBG with a modest 18,000 capacity but suddenly we were having 30k week in week out at PP. With their money, their aim must be to take any club, including Birmingham, into a position where they are challenging for Europe on a regular basis.

A combination of a new super stadium and a sucessful team should bring in the crowds at a club with such a potential large fan base. The country needs a large stadium in the centre for various occasions, it's either north or south atm. 

One of the biggest cons, was not building the new national stadium at the site at the NEC, just outside Birmingham. It had everything in place, private finance to build the ground, car parks already there, mainline railway station and international airport next door. Also it's location at the centre of the nation's motorway network, made access easier for the entire nation and not just Londoners. The biggest pitch that the Londoners' had was that they were going to keep the iconic twin towers, which would be incorporated into the new stadium. This proved to be a total lie.

Bizarrely, relegation may help them. FFP rules in lg1 allow for owners to pump money into a club, whereas the Championship FFP rules don't, unless you circumvent them by getting promotion to the Premier.

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m so torn!! It’s hilarious watching Leicester let there massive lead slip away. But if they slip out of the top 2, that means Leeds get in. I can’t work out who I want to go up less. 

Maybe Southampton could sneak in, they've Fester and the dirties away, but if they win their remaining 6 games, they should finish in the top 2.

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

Maybe Southampton could sneak in, they've Fester and the dirties away, but if they win their remaining 6 games, they should finish in the top 2.

If carlsberg did season ends.

southampton beat Leicester and Leeds to sneak into the top two at their expense. Coventry or someone win the play offs. Leicester and Leeds both get smashed with massive points deductions. 

meanwhile, Forest scrape into 17th by a point, but loose there appeal and have 2pts taken off for a spurious appeal. And get smashed with more points deductions next season for good measure. Forest, Leeds and Leicester as good as down already, might as well call off the relegation (only problem is that boro can’t go with them).

oo, boro have a terrible last few games of the season and go down from the championship with Rotherham and Birmingham. 

we of course win all of our last three games, while Portsmouth loose all theirs, and we go up as champions. Ready for a back to back push riding the waves of positivity. 

It's absolutely beyond belief that the 3 high flyers in the Championship.. desperate to return to the promised land.. Leicester Leeds and Ipswich have in their last two games ..six matches in total..haven't scored a single goal between them! Leeds in particular have managed only one point from the last nine available..what's shame!

3 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

It's absolutely beyond belief that the 3 high flyers in the Championship.. desperate to return to the promised land.. Leicester Leeds and Ipswich have in their last two games ..six matches in total..haven't scored a single goal between them! Leeds in particular have managed only one point from the last nine available..what's shame!

Southampton: 

image.gif.3e2e21e952c4de3751877d8ff29e1d03.gif

1 hour ago, littleover ram said:

If Birmingham go down will Bielik want to leave to protect his Poland place?

Unfortunately, they've Rotherham and Huddersfield still  left to play.

Middlesbrough's Mr Fit & Proper features regularly in Private Eye in articles covering the dispute between the South Tees Development Corporation, of which Gibson was deputy Chair, and a local company PD Ports Ltd in which The former were trying to bully the latter into accepting their demands over land access rights. This month's article gives a glimpse of Gibson's finely honed negotiation skills:

IMG_20240415_115428483-01.thumb.jpeg.452ddd4f633f2742cefcb2da9ac233b2.jpeg

Suffice to say a judge subsequently ruled in favour of PDP and ordered STDC to pay 90% of their costs of £1.2m.

Nice one, Mr Fuzzy-Wig!

More Steve - even Boro fans are coming round to the understanding that Mr Clean has a potty mouth and and an attitude to business that that Plod should really be taking an interest in :-

What do you think who will relegate this season? I hope it's not Burnley because I like what Kompany is doing. But this league is adamant and unpredictable, so we will see how things evolve. I asked some friends of mine this question, and they all said that Sheffield United might relegate, and I partially agree with them. Still, what do you think, guys, about this matter? 

Amazing end to the Championship season, although shame Southampton lost yesterday, else it would be even tighter. 

Ipswich not playing this weekend, which end up making the final fixtures a bit all over the place. All 4 teams chasing promotion currently have 3 games left, but when Ipswich kick their next game (8pm Saturday), Leeds and Southampton will have just 1 game left, against each other! Leicester also playing Southampton this midweek too.

Think it's a big advantage for Ipswich as they know exactly whether they need to chase for the win (and risk a defeat) or fine to take draws. Does feel a bit unfair at the end of season when tv often dictates that teams play before others, even though the cup semi final obviously causes some of this. But are Ipswich been sneaky agreeing the game is in the final midweek?

1 hour ago, Gladys' Handbag said:

Yeah... 

It's like knowing what you need to score on the last quiz to pass the class. But these schedule shifts happen a lot due to TV rights and other matches like cup games affecting things. It’s not really sneaky. It’s just how the game is set up sometimes.

I'm using Sport Score to keep track of games and stats. They're not dependent on big TV schedules.