Championship 23/24

oomarkwright

On 20/10/2023 at 15:52, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn’t exactly call a £40m a year wage bill a good foundation.

Gary Rowett (with the backing from an incredibly naive Mel), gambled on promotion in that season with no thought of the consequences of missing out.

Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome, Wisdom and Lawrence all ballooned our wage bill and we got not return from them. 

Rowett then left the trainwreck the moment he could as he knew we were done while Vydra was going to leave, Nugent was shot and the ageing players were in decline.

Then Lampard fluttered his eyelids and Mel embarked on one last mad do-or-die campaign like a roulette player mortgaging his house and putting it all one one row.

I wouldn't point the finger at his signings for the wage bill. It was more the fact that we didn't get rid of enough players.

Bryson, Blackman, Butterfield, Anya, Pearce, Camara Shackell, Martin and Bent all contracted to us and barely played that season.

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I wouldn't point the finger at his signings for the wage bill. It was more the fact that we didn't get rid of enough players.

Bryson, Blackman, Butterfield, Anya, Pearce, Camara Shackell, Martin and Bent all contracted to us and barely played that season.

A good point.

We had so many average championship players on way above average contracts.

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Championship is a crazy league this year. As always. Apart from the top 2 and the bottom 3, there are no real gaps forming. Teams are jumping up loads of places with each win. Huddersfield in 21st are just 6 points off 5th. That’s weird. 

I think we say the same every year. It’s such a long season 46 games, it’s not until 20 games in where you see who the likely playoff challengers are and even then there are still 26 games and 78 points to play for.

There are always a few who take 10 games to get going. 

In Burley’s season I don’t think we reached the top 6 until February time.

Blues back in the game. I agreed with Stansfield being brought on but Rooney took off Blues best player from the first half, Dembele. 2-0 at half time is always a dangerous lead. Blues on top at the moment. Saints need another goal to calm things down.