James Collins

Keepyuppy

47 minutes ago, inter politics said:

We knew TJJ had a poor injury record. We knew Waghorn and Washington were/are injured and are older players with histories of muscle injuries. We loaned Browne out...

It isn't unfortunate. It's either poor planning or lack of implementation. I'm all for praising our great club when deserved but this was a big error from the club. Can't change it now but don't pretend it wasn't a mistake (not you, the club themselves).

It's obvious we're missing a fully fit striker.

"Poor planning" is extremely harsh. A non-injury prone striker with excellent finishing has to be a.) willing to drop down to League One and b.) have a club willing to sell him in the middle of the season c.) be available with next to no transfer fee, given we're not out of the woods yet financially.

Not like there's a plethora of forwards that fit that bill. 

Do agree that loaning out Browne, a striker that we actually have, is a bit of a head-scratcher.

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

We knew TJJ had a poor injury record. We knew Waghorn and Washington were/are injured and are older players with histories of muscle injuries. We loaned Browne out...

It isn't unfortunate. It's either poor planning or lack of implementation. I'm all for praising our great club when deserved but this was a big error from the club. Can't change it now but don't pretend it wasn't a mistake (not you, the club themselves).

I think people at the club do things in good faith that can end up being mistakes in hindsight.

Some are easier to see ahead of time, some less so. Would I have extended John Jules’ loan? No. Would I have signed someone that has gone to another L1 club just for the sake of having more bodies in the squad but not necessarily more quality? Also no.

The club really can’t win. Collins could have stayed fit for the rest of the season and then the ‘back up striker’ gets about 150-300 minutes of football and the club are questioned for wasting precious resources.

Ultimately the club can only be prepared for so many eventualities.

I sincerely hope Collins is ok and it's a tactic by PW to keep Steve Evans guessing prior to our game on Saturday.

It can't help but bring back the trauma of the 14/15 season when Chris Martin picked up an injury at the same time of the season when we were in a similar position in the table, and was out for 10 games. Darren Bent got injured as well, and, hey presto, no striker.

Johnny Russell was played up top but didn't score a single goal in this period. Wolves away was particularly painful and sticks in my memory.

We slipped down the league and the season fizzled out with us finishing 8th.

Of note, the first game we played after Martin got injured was Rotherham away, managed by a certain Steve Evans. 3-3. His post match comments were along his usual themes:

"What an advert for Rotherham United being (in) the Championship.

"There's tinges of great disappointment being 3-1 up. We got a point but we have come across the best team and manager in the division."

21 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I sincerely hope Collins is ok and it's a tactic by PW to keep Steve Evans guessing prior to our game on Saturday.

It can't help but bring back the trauma of the 14/15 season when Chris Martin picked up an injury at the same time of the season when we were in a similar position in the table, and was out for 10 games. Darren Bent got injured as well, and, hey presto, no striker.

Johnny Russell was played up top but didn't score a single goal in this period. Wolves away was particularly painful and sticks in my memory.

Of note, the first game we played after Martin got injured was Rotherham away, managed by a certain Steve Evans. 3-3. His post match comments were along his usual themes:

"There's tinges of great disappointment being 3-1 up. We got a point but we have come across the best team and manager in the division."

Wolves away was f****** b*******, Bent gets clattered by Batth, clean through on goal but Ince scores from the resultant loose ball.

It’s either advantage and a goal or a red and a free-kick.

Free-kick and a yellow.

Not sure Collins missing would have the same impact as Martin, mind. Martin wasn’t just our goal scorer, he was our creator as well.

Edited by cannable

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Wolves away was f****** b*******, Bent gets clattered by Batth, clean through on goal but Ince scores from the resultant loose ball.

It’s either advantage and a goal or a red and a free-kick.

Free-kick and a yellow.

I don't even remember that episode in the pain that the game still causes me!

Just recall Russell not being effective at all, and it dawned on me that he was never going to score and we were never going to be the same with Martin injured.

3 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Watched the game on Rams TV on Tuesday and Collins was still sprinting to close down and tackle. I will be amazed if his injury is to the structure (ACL) of his knee as it would have buckled at some point. Hopefully I won’t regret saying this

Didn’t Sam winnall carry on playing for us then found out he had a acl injury ? Could be wrong mind you . Here’s hoping collo’s ok

50 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I would like to think Warne didn't feel the need to employ rumors as a tactic to beat stevenage 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It is a worry if Collins is out for any length of time.

But having four forwards (Collins, John Jules, Waghorn, Washington) out at one time as well as multiple other players in the squad just says we have been very unfortunate.

Let’s see if we can pick up a free agent. Let’s see where Washington is with his recovery. Let’s see if we can recall Brown. Let’s see if we can go with a fluid front three of NML, CBT and Barkhuizen.

All we can do is regroup and make the best out of a bad situation.

it also shows just how incredible our squad is for league one 

Where's Dean Moxey when you need him?

Hard to understand why he was played as a full-back. 4 games as a striker and 2 goals if my memory serves me right. Not bad at all. 🙂 

Hopefully, Collo is alright to play and Warne doesn't need to find modern-day Moxey.

6 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

I would like to think Warne didn't feel the need to employ rumors as a tactic to beat stevenage 

There's no harm in keeping his cards close to his chest though. If Collins had a scan today no need to give the result of that to Evans. and so keep him guessing to potentially affect Stevenage's team selection and line up.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s one of the most committed Derby fans I know… goes to every single game home and away. Not beyond the realms of possibility he might have some links. Not the sort of person to make stuff up.

@Owen87ITK?

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

I'm sure there was a call back clause in young Brown's loan to Gateshead. Mr Warne, get on the phone and call him back ready for Saturday.

If only someone could clarify the nature of that clause....for the one thousandth time...😜